PDA

View Full Version : Need lube advice

kb8yrw
11-22-2011, 09:51 PM
I started casting about two months ago and may have shot more than I have in the last two years! I have been experimenting with different loads for my 45acp. So far I have tried loads with Titegroup and Bullseye using Saeco traditional and Carnauba red. I am casting with range lead air cooled with a Bhn of 12- 15. The Saeco lube shot with no leading but really crapped up the gun using Titegroup. The Bullseye shot a lot cleaner and was very accurate with 4.6g. I duplicated the load using the CR and seemed to loose some accuracy and leaded the barrel with Titegroup and Bullseye. So it would seem the obvious solution would be to use Bullseye and the Saeco lube but that stuff is so soft and sticky I don't see how it would stay on the boolits dropping out of the Star into a bin. Is there another lube I could try that may give me the qualities of the soft lube but not make a mess? The boolit I'm loading is an RCBS 201 SWC.

fryboy
11-22-2011, 10:48 PM
you could stiffen up your saeco fairly easy if you wanted too , a lil carnuba and/or some wax , i'm surprised you got leading with the CR at 45 acp velocities/pressures , you could also try a softer alloy as the 45 really doesnt need that hard of one , it mite help bump the base upon firing

fredj338
11-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Leading w/ TG is not uncommon w/ many diff lubes. The powder just burns too hot.

Lefty SRH
11-23-2011, 05:47 AM
What about CLAYS, plain ole CLAYS?

kb8yrw
11-23-2011, 07:07 AM
What about CLAYS, plain ole CLAYS?

I have been reading about Clays and thinking about picking some up. I did get a pound of Unique about two weeks ago and plan on giving that a try next. Part of the fun of experimenting is having to field test. I like the CR and would like to find a load that will allow me to use it with the alloy I have. I get all the range lead I want for free :razz: . Right now I'm shooting about 500-1000 rnds a week.
:cbpour:

WHITETAIL
11-27-2011, 10:01 AM
:cbpour:I use 5 grs. of bullseye and JPW.
And there is no leading in the gun.

bobthenailer
11-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Ive used many a 8 lb keg BE in the 45 acp and for the past 10 years have switched to Tightgroup with excellent results in every 45 acp handgun i have . as well as most other caliber handguns from 750 to 1,100 fps except for 9mm & 38 super.
As for bullet lube i only been useing hard lube for the past 20 + years such as Magnma , Thompson, LBT commercial , and a few years ago i bought carnuba red and it is now my go to lube except for full power loads i still use LBT commerical as i have at least 15 sticks left from my second order of 25 sticks that i bought years ago .

geargnasher
11-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I have been reading about Clays and thinking about picking some up. I did get a pound of Unique about two weeks ago and plan on giving that a try next. Part of the fun of experimenting is having to field test. I like the CR and would like to find a load that will allow me to use it with the alloy I have. I get all the range lead I want for free :razz: . Right now I'm shooting about 500-1000 rnds a week.
:cbpour:

Balance the load better. You were using a high-pressure lube with a medium pressure boolit and too fast of a powder for either.

Try your range lead, Carnauba Red, and Unique, working up to the higher end of the velocity spectrum for clean burn. Make certain that your boolits are entering the barrel at least a full thousandth larger than the groove dimension of your particular barrel. That means pull a boolit from a finished cartridge and measure it, slug the barrel with a DEAD SOFT lead slug, and compare the two measurements. I can virtually guarantee you will like the results if you size correctly and do your part with correct loading procedures and my advice above. DO NOT overcrimp the case mouth, only apply enough "crimp" to make the case mouth straight, and check a few "dummy" rounds to make sure they'll chamber easily.

Gear

Gear

swheeler
11-27-2011, 10:07 PM
I really doubt you get any leading because of Cred lube, period. I've shot thousands of rounds of cast and Cred through Glock 21 at 850 fps, ZERO leading. Your leading isn't from the lube, look at fit.