PDA

View Full Version : 9mm 226 Sig

ez4545
02-19-2007, 03:26 AM
My son bought a 226 a while back and during our conversation, he asked about cast hand loads. I said sure why not! Let's get a six hole Lee mold and go to town with it.

I have yet to see the pistol and then I started wondering if it would have the same results the glocks do with the KAAABOOOMS and the rifling issues and not fully supported cases.. Not wanting to start a new flame, but I don't get to use Kaaabooom in a written sentence to often LOL.

Is there anything in particular we should know besides the basics, when we start loading these?

I have bullseye, clays, hs6,unique,titegroup etc.

The mold is the TL-356-124-2R. I understand that the TL is for tumble lube and I'm thinking that might be a good thing for a beginning caster to start loading.

Thanks for all advice and comments!

Edited to correct the obvious spelling msitake.

Bill

BigSlick
02-19-2007, 03:49 AM
For general range use Unique or TG will do well.

TG has a high nitro content so it burns hotter than many powders, thus, delivering a lot of smoke and at times (depending upon who you believe) a little flame cutting of the base. Unique is great with cast and reasonably accurate with 9mm loads in most guns. It tends to be fairly dirty, so I don't use too much of it.

HS-6 is a great 9mm powder, but will spike with little warning if pushed hard.

Clays is OK for light loads in 9mm but is better used in 45 ACP.

No first hand experience with BE in 9mm with cast.

A better answer all the way around (IMO) is WSF (4.5gr is very nice) or WST. Both are very lead friendly, meter well, clean at these levels and more accurate than I can take advantage of offhand.

AA#5 isn't bad, #7 is OK too but doesn't offer the same economy as the others mentioned.

The P226 is a great gun to shoot cast with. It does not have polygonal rifling, and case support isn't bad in the stock barrel. Not as good as an aftermarket 'match' barrel, but you don't get all the headaches that go with AM barrels either.

'Slick
________
White widow seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

NickSS
02-19-2007, 05:49 PM
I keep hearing about the problem with lead bullets in a Glock but I personally have never had any. I load a lee 120 gr TC boolit with 3.8 gr of Red Dot in all my 9mm pistols including a glock, taurus and a browning. Get good results with all of them.

9.3X62AL
02-19-2007, 06:15 PM
I've run about a zillion cast boolits through my SIG P-226. The critical factor in the 9mm is boolit diameter matching the throat and barrel. I have 2 SIG 9mm's, and both have throats of .3565" and grooves of .356". These get boolits sized at .357". Fairly hard alloy (Taracorp 92/6/2) and soft lubes (Javelina NRA Alox) have done very well for me.

I have used Bullseye, WW-231, Unique, and Herco in 9mm with good success. I have not tried any of the Lee Tumble Lube designs in 9mm.