PDA

View Full Version : My first Pan lubing thingy

Dutchie
11-22-2011, 09:04 PM
ok my first pan lube job , i must be doing something wrong 4 sure, or more.

made my lube after I read lots of recepies and try to understand the mechanics of the lube ingredients.
Basically its bwax , sheepfat ( talon lard ) waxine petroleum jelly ( Have No access to carnauba) so i m going for felix , speed green.

The mix i made looks ok, until i poored it onto the boolits.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff414/Gansinator/Boolitz/IMGP0350up.jpg
It looks like the solidification time is fairly short
The bottom side looks like this.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff414/Gansinator/Boolitz/IMGP0357up.jpg
then to get the boolits out with the original
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff414/Gansinator/Boolitz/IMGP0358up.jpg
And the result is .
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff414/Gansinator/Boolitz/IMGP0360up.jpg

The next thing is sizing in the lubrisizer , just to calibrate the boolitz.

just let them in da box to let them rest for a while to see if the lube still stick to it.

If i feel it ,it looks like its still a tad to soft , i need to harden it some and i think i need to make a bit more sticky to the boolitz, add some lanoline stuff.

Intention was a red color but came out to be pink , so what 4 da sissy boolits :bigsmyl2:

They WILL hit da target !

Main target is to cast with the lyman mould posted earlier for my son to shoot .44 DW and to make the right compo lube to accompany that one, and to honor my deceased friend the old fashioned way.

Hans.

P.S.

If the lube is ok and performs right , i will make some sticks for my lubrisizer.

fryboy
11-22-2011, 10:44 PM
i actually prefer the crack it method of pan lubing but for soft lube the kake kutter is indeed best , actually you did something right ! you got some experience !! and it does take a bit of red to get away from pink lolz erm and orange , my fav lube is currently this dark awesome blue green in the pan but when it the groove it's a pale almost lime-ish green lolz but pink is a red ...of sorts ;) , if you have a glass measuring cup you could just pour it in the sizer as needed without making the sticks , hope it shoots well !

Hardcast416taylor
11-22-2011, 11:12 PM
When you re-melt the lube that is left over just add in a red crayon to make the lube more red in color and to add a bit more parafin to the mix making it a bit stiffer. I agree with the suggestion of melting the lube in a small measure cup and pouring into your luber then let it set for an hour or so before using.Robert

mdi
11-23-2011, 02:15 PM
When I pan lube I use an oven safe pan so I can heat the lube and boolit together, usually metal but Pyrex will do. I'll usually stick the new/unlubed boolits in the holes left by the previous batch and stick the pan/lube/boolits in a 175 to 200 degree oven for 20 minutes or so (long enough to fully heat the boolits and lube to the same temp. This way the lube adhears to the boolit much better...

sqlbullet
11-23-2011, 02:35 PM
My first red came out pink too. Lube worked fine though, so pink it is.

RU shooter
11-24-2011, 01:29 PM
When I pan lube I use an oven safe pan so I can heat the lube and boolit together, usually metal but Pyrex will do. I'll usually stick the new/unlubed boolits in the holes left by the previous batch and stick the pan/lube/boolits in a 175 to 200 degree oven for 20 minutes or so (long enough to fully heat the boolits and lube to the same temp. This way the lube adhears to the boolit much better...

I fully agree with you this method is about the best way to pan lube .just keep refilling the holes in the cake and back in the toaster oven it goes.Goat lips told me about heating the lube and bullet to the same temp and has worked without fail every time

Dutchie
11-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Today I took the leftover cake and remelted it.Added some nipple cream for the lanoline to let it more stick and some waxine to harden it more.

The poor was better then the first.Used a bucket lid, my mistake, so it wasn't level exactly, so some were deeper in the pink **** then others :)

Made it also a bit warmer on the heater so there was the next secret, touched the boolitz and they were warm,lube groove is coated , some over coated.Wait for the cooldown and again with the cake cutter.
Here i'm missing some experience.
The first one i cut out (only lube groove covered) is ok the second one is filled with lube in the seat groove and up the highest band of the boolit to the top of the boolit you see some lube too.
Is this normal for the proces? Using the 44cal cutter.

Want to understand the basics although I'm a high techie,but i have to fully understand the basics otherwise u can not even become a moderate tech in this stuff.

I'll usually stick the new/unlubed boolits in the holes left by the previous batch and stick the pan/lube/boolits in a 175 to 200 degree oven for 20 minutes or so (long enough to fully heat the boolits and lube to the same temp.

Is good advice and logical, i tried also to pusch the boolits out the cake by force,that went pretty ok but not perfect some lube got loose of the boolitz.

Hans.

fryboy
11-25-2011, 12:38 PM
on the "pushing out by force" is where i refer to the "crack it method" , many use various instruments for this ( i use a rawhide mallet ) but the sudden hit "cracks" the seal and then one can push out with fingers , but IMHO this works best with a medium to hard lube , the best way i can explain it is in the link on this thread
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=36726

btw ? that missing experience ? you're getting it ;)

Dan Cash
11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Dutchie,
I am surely sorry you are having so much trouble with pan lubing as it should be dirt simple and fast. Some lubes will not work well with the technique but I think yours will. May I suggest that you get rid of the "cake cutter." When the lube is cool to room temperature and pulls away from the side of the pan, dump it out and set the lube cake with bullets base down on a padded surface. A dense foam pad is best but a folded towel (2 layers) will probably work. Use a block of wood or some solid object to press down on the nose of the bullets and they will back out of the lube cake a little. Then you can lift the cake and press them the rest of the way out.

If you wish, PM me and I will send a document with step by step instructions and photos on how I do it. I am lubing about 3 thousand bullets a year this way.

Dan

Dutchie
11-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Ok guys thnx for the advice.

For fun and even more experience a 3rd test is planned.

Hans.

Sonnypie
11-26-2011, 03:11 AM
When they are loaded in the cases, nobody will know you used Maybelline Lipstick (http://www.maybelline.com/products/28/lips/lip-color/color-sensational-lipcolor/red-revival/645?shadeId=196) for your loob.

Until the kisses show up on the targets.... http://www.janubaba.com/uploads/CHANDNI/2008-8-2_235612_smiley_kiss.gif :shock:

:kidding:

WHITETAIL
11-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Dutchie, You are doing great for the first attempt.
And as said I would add a few red crayons.
This will harden your lube alittle more.
and make it alittle more red.:castmine:

EMC45
11-28-2011, 01:34 PM

I use this method as well. I do it on the burner on the stove top on low heat though. Works great. Then I can see if I need to add lube to fully immerse the groove.

Dutchie
11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
As I am trying to understand the mechanics, heating the lube and the boolits must reduce the surface tension between the lube and the boolits.A logical thing is to re-use the old cake and fill the holes with new boolitz, and to add some new lube.

To bad i have only a microwave and no old fashioned oven anymore ( the capacity )

Still , have some new options now and will test them, just for phun sake.Thnx

Boolseye
12-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Those will shoot good. +1 on adding a bit of Paraffin, to harden up some. I would also place your boolits a bit further apart in the pan, 3/8" from each other and from the edge of the pan. I used more or less equal parts beeswax, vaseline and paraffin, 2 tablespoons each of JPW and Crisco, and 2 red crayons. I'm bucking the trend somewhat–I don't remove the cake, I pull each boolit out with a pair of pliers. Works great...here's a batch I did the other day. I only let the pan stand for about ten minutes between batches.

+1–you can also use a "double boiler) (set the pan in a frying pan or what have you with boiling water in it).

mroliver77
01-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Dutchie,
Don't overthink it! I imagine the heat lowers surface tension but so what? My pal and I made some pink lube and he named it." Pinko Commie *** Lube".
Lots of crayons have clay in them. It would end up being a small amount on a boolit but it is there.

lead-1
01-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Dutchie, those boolits look fine, I wish my lube cut away that clean and if it is any consolation to you my boolits wear a baby blue belt, lol.