PDA

View Full Version : gun shop today

Olevern
11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
visiting with family out of state today, got in a few days early so the wimmin could spend some time Christmas shopping. Ladies out shopping, son in law at work, grandkids in school, perfect opportunity to make the circuit of local gun shops .

My favorite way to add new firearms to my gunsafes is via lay-away. Probably most of the one hundred plus guns that reside in my safes came to me via that pathway.

So, I had put aside enough cash to start a layaway, stashed in the form of a hundred dollar bill and a fifty dollar bill, folded and stuck in an out of the way part of my wallet.

First shop saw two guns I had interest in, one was a S&W model 29-3 in
6 1/2" (priced at $495.00), the other a like new Taurus stainless steel model 92 lever action in .480 Ruger (priced at $400.00).

The Smith had non-original grips (herretts) but oher than that was used or carried very little, probably best described as near mint. Perfect bore, great action timing and lock up.

Now, when I make this circuit, I seldom buy (or lay away) until I have completed the circuit of four shops (total circuit about sixty miles), then I return to the shop where the gun I wanted the most resides and deal.

On this occasion, with the price of the Smith being so low, I was tempted to just do the deal, thinking it might not be there when I returned but, as I am somewhat less impulsive with accrued age, I philosophically told myself "if it's not there when I return, I didn't need it and will find something better somewhere else".

To make a long story short, looked at many other guns in the other three shops, but none that impressed me more than the model 29, so, returned to the shop and laid it away (didn't even haggle over price).

So, got 60 days to get her out, then have to have her shipped to my home state gun shop (and pay him a $10.00 transfer fee)

While was in one of the other shops, asked after the two guns I had laid away the last time I was down, a ruger three screw single six and a Ruger single six bisley in 32 H&R...lay away has been paid off for two months and my dealer hasn't received them yet.

They told me that the FFL copy my dealer had faxed them expired before they could get the guns out, and they had to call him and ask for another one, but they will get them out in the mail tomorrow, so will probably have two new toys to play with when I get home. (well at least after deer hunting season, won't have time until then)

Anyway, great time today talking with old friends (gun shop owners and employees), looking at a bunch of fine firearms, and earmarking one of them for my collection.

Iron Mike Golf
11-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Great find on the M29! That's next on my list. My lovely wife got me a shooter grade M28 for my birthday a couple weeks ago and it has kindled a new love for older Smith's. Shot it at a bowling pin match last night and changed a few rolling eyes into bug eyes. :)

Olevern
11-23-2011, 06:58 PM
IMG (any relation to OMG):p

I, too, own a .357 in N frame (a model 27-2 in 6 1/2") which is a fine sidearm.

This 6" model 29-3 will join a 8 3/8" model 29-5 and will probably see more holster use in the field as it is a more handy length.

Perhaps the new model 29 will harvest a deer next year.

BTW, I wouldn't feel a bit undergunned for deer with that model 28 at closer ranges.

DLCTEX
11-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Tarus made a Model 92 in 480 Ruger? Oh my, I'm going to get into trouble.

Olevern
11-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Tarus made a Model 92 in 480 Ruger? Oh my, I'm going to get into trouble.

I don't think they still make them, but I could be wrong. This shop prices to move stock, so don't think it will last long. LMK if you want the phone number of the gunship. I think $400.00 is an excellant price, gun is like new, I don't think it has ever been fired. BTW it is stainless steel.

crabo
11-27-2011, 03:10 PM
A friend of mine has a couple of the L frame 5 shot 44 Specials. I am thinking about asking him to do a layaway for me.

Olevern
11-27-2011, 08:58 PM
A friend lay-away, interesting idea....Why not?