PDA

View Full Version : Pointy boolits in the 1911?

greywuuf
11-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Forgive me for i am sure it has been covered before, but i know not what to use as search terms.
the "pointy" bullet ( the sharp cone pellet gun looking things) Do those function in 1911's ?

These for example: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1334476#post1334476

Thanks
Dan

HammerMTB
11-22-2011, 07:44 PM
I guess it had never crossed my mind that they might not....
I used 'em with success in my Glock and Taurus.
May have to shuck a few thru the 1911 dry and see if they feed.
BTW, my 210 mold comes out right at 230gr. Worked OK for me, as I just used data for the 230TC or RN

Edit:
They feed and flow just fine in my shop, without firiing. No reason to expect they might not do the same at the firing line. I need to take the 1911 to the next pin match. I useta do good with it.

arjacobson
11-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Mine work just fine. They will mark the tip up just a bit if you cycle the pistol by hand. Seem to shoot okay?

P.K.
11-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I was going to say "No Way" because of everything I've read before concerning the platform was geared to the round ball. After a long learning curve of getting an older one to "run" I am intrigued and want to try this boolit out.

Old Caster
11-22-2011, 11:01 PM
It depends completely on the gun. Some of the quality ones would feed empty cases.

Calamity Jake
11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
+1 on what Old Caster said

pdawg_shooter
11-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Always worked in mine, and I have had over 20 over the years.

BarryinIN
11-23-2011, 07:57 PM
I have an H&G 938 mould, which is the Dean Grennell-designed pointy bullet of approximately 185 grains. It looks like this:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/ColtsR4Football/001-15-1.jpg
Actually it's a little pointier but I must have flattened that one a little.

I find it's dependent on OAL. I have mostly shot it in three guns. The first one I tried it in (a 5" Kimber) liked it at an OAL that put the bearing surface/cone joint even with the case mouth. I tried it in another, a S&W Commander size, and it wouldn't feed a third of them, so I played with OAL . I seated them a little longer, so there was a little band of bearing surface showing above the case mouth like in the picture, and that worked. I tried the longer ones in a third gun (5" Colt) and they worked, although I felt a little "ker-chunk" as it fed. I have not tried the shorter ones in it yet.
I don't recall the OAL figures now, or how much change I made. That's been at least a year.

And that's as far as I've got. I assume I can get a compromise seating depth that will work in all of them, but that Colt being a bit less than smooth with the longer ones makes me wonder.

It shot well though, so it's worth further looking at. I just haven't had the time.

A small surprise to me was the holes it made in paper. It made a clean hole almost like a wadcutter. I hadn't really thought about what kind of holes it would make in paper, but wasn't really expecting that.

Ronbo256
11-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I've got a 1911 I built that will feed empty cases and 230 round nose from 1.240-1.270 but it chokes on the Lee 200gr swc's unless they are almost exactly 1.180 overall. I find 1911's are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. I'd love to have a few handfuls of that Dean Grennell pointy bullet to try in it!