PDA

View Full Version : Light primer strikes?

straightarrow
11-22-2011, 05:27 PM
After taking the advice of others on this site I ordered a KKM barrel for my Glock 22 and have been loading and shooting my own cast bullets (Lee 175gr TC) over five grains of Unique. The accuracy of the gun is now on par with my GP100. I am still having some problems with some of the rounds having what looks like light primer strikes. When they fail I eject them and try them again and they always fire the second time (not sure if this is a good idea or not). Today I was looking at a couple of the rounds that did not go off and comparing them to the shell casings that had fired and the indent of the round that fired appears to be way deeper than the ones that failed to fire. The barrel was used as a go no go gauge on all the rounds before they were taken to the range. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong.

P.K.
11-22-2011, 05:34 PM
What are you seating your primers with?

subsonic
11-22-2011, 05:41 PM
There are 3 things to look at first:
Make sure the primers are fully seated when you load.
Make sure your cases are no less than the trim-to length in the manual
Clean the striker channel on your Glock and DO NOT oil it. If it is well used or several years old, replace that channel liner by pulling it with the proper size lag screw and a claw hammer and replace the striker spring and spring cups. All very easy and cheap.

I had trouble with winchester primers once in my G20, but CCI worked fine.

straightarrow
11-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Primers(wolf) are seated with RCBS hand primer. It is possible the case length varies as they are mostly range brass.

P.K.
11-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Primers(wolf) are seated with RCBS hand primer. It is possible the case length varies as they are mostly range brass.

I'll go with SubSonic on this one and reccomend the striker spring replacement.

mooman76
11-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Wolf primers are harder than some others. Also if your gun isn't going fully into battery sometimes you still get what looks like a really light primer strike. The barrel you have in now probably has a tighter chamber and if the reloads you are using were originally fired in a glock barrel you get that slight glock bulge that keeps it from chambering in a tighter chamber.

P.K.
11-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Wolf primers are harder than some others. Also if your gun isn't going fully into battery sometimes you still get what looks like a really light primer strike. The barrel you have in now probably has a tighter chamber and if the reloads you are using were originally fired in a glock barrel you get that slight glock bulge that keeps it from chambering in a tighter chamber.

I think he used the same to headspace and fire. Negates the argument. He never stated a battery issue.;-)

Old Caster
11-23-2011, 07:44 PM
If the Wolf primers you have are magnum that might be the problem. On the Wiedner site, it explains that the name magnum in a Wolf primer doesn't mean a more powerful primer but a harder cup. If you don't have the problems with a worn gun as mentioned above, get yourself some Federal primers because they are the softest of the bunch. Several of my revolvers have lightened everything and some lots of Winchester and some lots of CCI work and others don't. Federal works every time no matter the lot. I don't know about whether the Wolf standard primers are hard or not. I had a thousand of the magnum variety and while they wouldn't work reliably in the revolvers, they do work in my 32 Benelli, 9mm Beretta, and 9 mm Browning Highpower. I never tried them in my Glock 9. Recently I bought 50,000 Wolf standard large pistol primers for me and my friends who are all bullseye shooters and everyone is happy with them. They were tested in a ransom rest and they happened to be the most accurate by a bit however don't think that they are somehow a miracle primer and they will always be more accurate, but I believe that they are every bit as good. At $15.50 a thousand they were quite a deal.

sgtbear
11-25-2011, 02:47 PM
I hd a light primer strike problem with my Glock 20. Two trips back to the Glock repair facility, and several tries at getting a Wolff spring to fix it - all were zero results, no extra power springs were made. I sent it to Glock a 3rd time, with details and some cases with the light primers hits. Before I got my gun back, I got a letter from some Glock lawyer telling me that they voided my warranty due to my use of hand loads and that Federal ammo's primers were the softest. Otherwise the striker assembly met "factory specs". Sending them a "jam it up yours" letter was a waste of postage and time. I went to the local hard ware store. In the nuts & bolts dept, the "select a spring" box had a spring from a screen door latch that fit, heavier gauge wire and a bit too long for about 60 cents. I cut that spring with a cold chisel and smoothed it with an oil-stone and put it into the slide assembly. Since, my G-20 has 100 % ignition, no pierced primers, and the trigger let off is the same..

I agree with everyone else about Wolf primers.