PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mount Question Puma M92

HollowPoint
11-22-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a Rossi/Puma Model 92 in 44 magnum caliber.

Last year when I decided to work up some new lower than full power 240 grain semi-wad-cutter loads I had some trouble due to my eye sight and the use of the factory Iron-Sights that came with this Lever Action.

I broke down and made a set of temporary scope mounts that allowed me to mount a Pistol Scope on my M92. They worked out so well that I was reluctant to remove the scope when I was done working up loads.

Admittedly, mounting a pistol scope on these little lever actions tends to detract from the aesthetics of the rifles profile so, in the end I did remove the "Temporary Scope and Scope Mounts" and I've been using the Marble Arms rear peep sight for now but, lately I've been thinking of machining up a new set of Scope Mounts and while I was at it I thought I might be able to make up an extra set or two for anyone who may be interested.

Interest or not, I'm still going to make me up a set so it won't hurt my feelings if I get no replies. The price of materials was minimal but, they won't be given away for free. I might be willing to trade if I'm trading for the right stuff.

These Scope Mounts are such that the pistol scope is mounted in the "Scout-Style" where the long eye relief of the pistol scope allows it to sit just forward of the ejection port so there's no interference with ejection.

No alteration need to be made to the rifle. You will need to drift your factory rear sight out of its dove-tail slot and put it in storage while you work up your loads though.

The Scope Mounts themselves have been tested with low power loads only. I didn't test them with full-power loads. The highest charge weights I used were 10 grains of Unique under 240 grain Gas Checked Semi-Wad-Cutters.

I've been using 6061 aluminum for my materials. I just bought enough stock to make about four of them for now. I haven't even made my CAD drawing yet. Right now I'm just checking to see if anyone might be interested.

The first set of Scope Mounts I made were just cobbled together. I didn't use any drawings or plans. I knew what I wanted so I just made them to the specs I had in my head. The Scope Mounts I plan on making up here will be formally drawn up and milled on my CNC mill.

If you're interested or just curious just PM me (no obligation) and when I've finished my drawings I can show you what I'm talking about. I guess I should have waited till I actually had set of these new Scope Mounts already made up and mounted on my rifle but, I'm just testing the waters; so to speak.

HollowPoint

fecmech
11-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Rossi already makes a scout type mount for the Model 92 for about $15. The model is P892. http://www.rossiusa.com/2011catalog/?catalog_page=34
Newer Round barreled Rossi's are D&T'd under the rear sight for that mount. Not trying to rain on your parade, I just didn't know if you were aware of that.

Pepe Ray
11-22-2011, 05:28 PM
FYI---I'm interested.
P.M. to follow.
Pepe Ray

HollowPoint
11-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Greetings fecmech:

No problem. You haven't rained on my parade. I already knew about the scope mounts you've mentioned.

My particular Puma M92 had no such screw-holes otherwise I would have just bought the factory made mounts. I must have bought one of the models that weren't pre-drilled and tapped. That's why I had to make my own.

It was cheaper to make my own than pay a gunsmith to drill and tap a couple of holes for me and then pay the fifteen-bucks and shipping for a factory scope mount. I suspect there are others with M92 Pumas similar to mine.

My set of scope mounts attaches just ahead of the front grip; and at the rear, it attaches in the same factory dove-tail slot.

I kinda wish my rifle had been pre-drilled and tapped but, unfortunately it wasn't.

Thanks for pointing that out though.

HollowPoint

Four Fingers of Death
11-23-2011, 08:02 AM
I am interested in that, but as I live in Australia, I'd be better off sourcing a factory mount I think. No doubt your would be a classier product and match the SS rifle better. I will inquire at the gun shop and get back to you.

HollowPoint
11-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Greetings Mr. Fingers:

I don't know about "Classier" but, the brushed aluminum may match up better with a stainless finish. The Rossi Scope Mounts look very similar to the Encore and Contender scope mounts I've purchased before. The hole spacing may be different but that's easily fixable. I believe they're available in a faux-stainless finish as well.

My lever gun has a Blued barrel so I just sprayed my original set of mounts with black-wrinkle-paint. With a light coating of this paint it made my scope mount look almost like I knew what I was doing.

With shipping costs the way they are now days I'm sure it would be more cost effective to have someone in your neck of the woods make you up a set. However, I'd be more than happy to oblige if you determine otherwise.

Many thanks for the vote of confidence..

HollowPoint

HollowPoint
11-24-2011, 02:02 PM
I got some time to draw up an example of what I was referring to when I stated that I intended to make me up a new set of Scope-Mounts for My Puma M92.

The pic I've provided is just a preliminary Computer Generated Rendering. As is usually the case; once I'd finished these drawings I got to thinking of different/easier ways to mill these parts so the actual finished product may vary slightly from this drawing.

It does give you a good idea of what I had in mind.

The original set I made for myself didn't look nearly as good. I made that set on my little Harbor Freight bench-top manual mills but, even that set of Cobbled-together scope mounts worked out real well for me.

The Scope Mount set I plan on making up here should have much tighter tolerances.

HollowPoint

ghitch75
11-24-2011, 05:24 PM
I got some time to draw up an example of what I was referring to when I stated that I intended to make me up a new set of Scope-Mounts for My Puma M92.

The pic I've provided is just a preliminary Computer Generated Rendering. As is usually the case; once I'd finished these drawings I got to thinking of different/easier ways to mill these parts so the actual finished product may vary slightly from this drawing.

It does give you a good idea of what I had in mind.

The original set I made for myself didn't look nearly as good. I made that set on my little Harbor Freight bench-top manual mills but, even that set of Cobbled-together scope mounts worked out real well for me.

The Scope Mount set I plan on making up here should have much tighter tolerances.

HollowPoint

i'm in!!.....i'll keep a eye on this thread.....looks good!!

HollowPoint
11-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Greetings ghitch75:

Being Thanks-Giving day today I had some free time to do a test run of the front Scope Mount. For the most part it turned out pretty well.

I did manage to break my last 1/8" carbide ball nose end mill. Now I'll have to wait the the new ones I just ordered to show up. It will give me a little time to make some adjustments to my drawing's dimensions.

I also want to tweak the two sections that make up the rear scope mount. I think I'm still on track to make up three more with the metal stock I have left. If I get a chance I'll try to tackle the rear sections tomorrow.

Thanks for the interest.

HollowPoint

HollowPoint
12-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I've moved this post to the "Special Projects" section of the Cast Boolits forum. Since I really hadn't even started to make these Puma M92 scope mounts at the time I posted here, the "Special Projects" area is where I should have posted this in the first place.

If you were following this post; sorry for the inconvenience. I haven't dropped the subject or the project. I've just moved it to another area of this forum.

Thanks for tuning in.

HollowPoint