PDA

View Full Version : 32 H&R data for 71gr jword ?

BigSlick
02-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Hi guys,

I got to rummaging around my junk box tonight and ran across a box of 71gr RN bullets.

I'm breaking in a new 32 H&R tomorrow and would like to use these. I know, they are most often loaded with 32 SW/Long but I don't have any brass in that size.

Any suggestions ? Maybe a favorite (or functional) load ?

Thanks in advance

'Slick
________
MARAJUANA EVALUATION. TARZANA (http://dispensaries.org)

Dale53
02-19-2007, 01:24 AM
3.5 grs of Win 231 give will you slightly more than 800 fps. 3.5 Bullseye will give you somewhat more than 900 fps. Both loads in .32 H&R Mag cases. All from Lyman's 47th Edition Reloading Handbook.

Dale53

BigSlick
02-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks Dale :drinks:

My Lyman 48th is on loan to a newbie right now. I knew I had seen data somewhere but couldn't find it for the life of me.

Seems like 4.7gr Unique was a good load too, but I will use 231 to get these loaded and finished.

You're a life saver my friend.

'Slick
________
Vapor buddies (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

Larry Gibson
02-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Some years back I used the max Lyman load of 5.5 gr Unique to shoot up a couple boxes of the 71 gr RNs. They ran slightly over 1200 fps out of a 6" M16 S&W. Never really grouped them but the 6 shots over the Oehler 35P went into 1.7" at 25 yards. A few turns on the elevation screw brought them into zero and they hit quite well at 50 yards. I recall taking a couple shots at the 200 yard berm and discovering they shot quite a bit flatter than I expected.

Larry Gibson

BigSlick
02-20-2007, 02:58 AM
Went with the 3.5gr 231 load. Nice and soft.

First time out with the SP101.

All I can say is boooooring. Pull the trigger, hit the X, pull the trigger, hit the X...

Made it look like I was some kind of great shot. :mrgreen:

I also loaded some 100gr XTP's with a charge of H4227. Same thing, one X after another at 15 yds from bags.

The XTP loads were obviously warmer, but still very nice to shoot. Sent about 300 down range.

That's the last jwords I had on hand.

This gun will never see another, or God forbid, a factory round.

I like this gun, I like it *A LOT*.

Sweet shooter in every respect. After dry firing it about 1200 times Saturday and Sunday, the trigger smoothed up a tad. I took it down and lubed it up good. Will clean it up good tomorrow and see if I can get Friday off and hit the range again. I won't run it as wet as today for certain.

Now if I can get it to digest a few cast rounds and get anywhere close to the same results i will be more than happy ;)
________
Ford mustang variants (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Mustang_variants)

Dale53
02-20-2007, 03:10 AM
BigSlick;
Glad to see that you have joined the club. The .32 H&R Mag is a far better round than most people expect. The SP101 is a very nice package. There have been a number of fine revolvers for this load. The sales will never be super high, but those who have them seem to have a mysterious smile on their faces...

I am still waiting to get my SP101 back from the pistolsmith (installing a Weaver rail for a Red Dot). I am also considering a Red Dot LT (reflex sight similar, but a bit nicer than the Doctor Sight). It is very compact and will make carrying the SP101 a bit easier in the field. I need an adjustable sight as I shoot the Hornady HB WC, the Lee GB 100 gr Keith, and the Lee GB .314 120gr RF. All hit to a different point of impact (elevation change).

Dale53