PDA

View Full Version : New Guy in Town

DaveCampbell
11-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi All,

Just joined CB, and I am impressed with the site. The members seem to be civilized, as well as knowledgeable.

FWIW and in the interest of full disclosure, I am one of those confounded outdoor writers. I just completed an article on casting bullets (first of a three-part series), and my introduction to Cast Boolits was to utilize this site for some research.

Looking forward to palavering, learning, sharing some info and, perhaps just plain ol' BSing with you folks.

Best,

Dave

Blacksmith
11-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Welcome aboard Dave. You have landed in the most comprehensive collection of boolit casting (yea we spell it different) information in the world. It is a very nice community of people here and for the most part we won't hold your occupation against you.

Blacksmith

old turtle
11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Welcome! You will find a fine collection of the most knowledgeable, helpful people of any shooting site. I am always surprised by the world wide scope of contributors.

Jim
11-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Mr. Campbell, welcome, Sir!

Make ya'self right at home!

gray wolf
11-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Hey!!! Welcome to the site.
You will get a new edgamacation in grammar if you hang here a while.
Some of us here tend to have this uncontrollable desire to Re-wright the Dic-sha-man-erry.

Bad Water Bill
11-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Welcome to our happy home.

Sit down, pull up a chair and if you dare, bring your coffee cup.

After a little time here you will recognize several more authors that call Cast Boolite home.

P.K.
11-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Welcome to the Galena support group! ;-)

MtGun44
11-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Welcome. Great place, good folks.

Sorry to be abrupt, but -

How did you get the tiny font in your post? I could hardly read it. Seems like
all other posts are in exactly the same size and type face.

Bill

frkelly74
11-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I was going to ask you what your name was but then I noticed you told us. The fun never stops, we hope.

DaveCampbell
11-22-2011, 01:08 PM
MtnGun44,

My apologies. I normally like Times New Roman at 12pt. and thought I was there. Will make it bigger in the future. To the rest: Thanks for the welcome!

Best,

Dave

Wayne Smith
11-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Dave, for whom do you write? Interested in looking up some of your stuff. Welcome to the site and join the craziness.

Blacksmith
11-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Dave

Warning don't do what Bad Water Bill suggested, get a cup of coffee, if you visit the Humor and Off Topic section in the Pit. That has ruined more monitors and keyboards than you can count and nobody wants to help clean up the mess.

Blacksmith

MtGun44
11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm a fan of Times New Roman myself, just never saw anyone using nonstandard font
here, and never even thought about it before. I, too, would like to know where your
stuff appears. From the pic, I'd guess you are cowboy action oriented. Is that correct?

Bill

Jim
11-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Dave, pay no attention to the man with the mule. He's just a crazy ol' miner that wanders in from the hills once a year or so. He's harmless, but looney as can be.

Bad Water Bill
11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
dave, pay no attention to the man with the mule. He's just a crazy ol' miner that wanders in from the hills once a year or so. He's harmless, but looney as can be.

warning - warning

Now ya got Girtys dandr up. iffn ya kum witin a kuntri mile she wil KIK ya [smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

DaveCampbell
11-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Let's try this font and size. OK, some more about moi. I am a recovering editor. Had stints at Petersen's HUNTING (when it was located in LA) and 6 1/2 years at NRA as the founding editor in chief of Shooting Illustrated. I still write for NRA, primarily on its new E-Media websites (americanhunter.org, where I have a blog; and americanrifleman.org, where I do gun stuff).

The remainder of my time is spent perfecting the persona of a butt-ugly-bucolic-reclusive redneck here in northwestern Wyoming. I play a bit in cowboy action with our local guys. It was my involvment in CAS that precipitated me getting back into cast bullets. I started fooling around with this stuff nearly 40 years ago, casting from an iron pot on a Coleman stove and a dipper. Got away from it when I got into the industry and had manufacturers burying me in loaded ammo. Now I have two furnaces, one for "soft" alloys like Lyman No. 2 and another dedicated for the harder stuff I like to shoot in my .44 Special and Magnum revolvers.

And before I forget: Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Best,

Dave

P.S. Hey BWB, how do I join that COBIA? ;-)

Cherokee
11-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Another welcome to ya !!

Bad Water Bill
11-22-2011, 05:16 PM
P.S. Hey BWB, how do I join that COBIA? ;-)

Wel ya kinda sond krusti nuf so git holt a JIM ta fondr an prez fer mor detals. Also ya gotta bring Girty a karit evry da

:bigsmyl2:

Carolina Cast Bullets
11-22-2011, 05:24 PM
And he is from Illinois too. (scratches head in wonder)

Oh, and just to keep you up to speed, none of us, I mean none of us in here will tell you a lie. We will tell you the truth four or five different ways.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Recluse
11-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Let's try this font and size. OK, some more about moi. I am a recovering editor. Had stints at Petersen's HUNTING (when it was located in LA) and 6 1/2 years at NRA as the founding editor in chief of Shooting Illustrated. I still write for NRA, primarily on its new E-Media websites (americanhunter.org, where I have a blog; and americanrifleman.org, where I do gun stuff).

The remainder of my time is spent perfecting the persona of a butt-ugly-bucolic-reclusive redneck

Small world. I used to do some work with TARTAH (see if that acronym brings back any memories for ya) back in early 90's before Al Gore finished perfecting the internet. My work/writing was more political, however, especially after Clinton was elected.

Good folks here--you'll fit in right nicely.

And don't worry, there's plenty of us cranky old butt-ugly bucolic reclusive rednecks. . :)

Enjoy yourself.

:coffee:

Olevern
11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Greetings and welcome. Buncha old reprobates, with a sprinkling of young(er) guys and gals. You'll fit right in. And bring your own coffee, these guys make sum aweful black stuff they call coffee but I can't tell.

Dutchie
11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
And hi from the other side of the ocean.

MtGun44 just forgot to tell his eyes are going to the drain.

Hans.

Echo
11-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Welcome, BC, to the best forum on the net.

And my signature block includes O&U, standing for Old & Ugly, but really I'm Handsome as the devil! Bucolic - sometimes - ascerbic, hardly ever.

Bad Water Bill
11-22-2011, 07:47 PM
And he is from Illinois too. (scratches head in wonder)

Oh, and just to keep you up to speed, none of us, I mean none of us in here will tell you a lie. We will tell you the truth four or five different ways.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Ih ma b frum ill i noisey but ya must remembr Girty iz frum Death Valley Scottier PERSNL herd an taks ofnse ezly.

Fer them to yung ta remembr Deth valy be Nevader.

:bigsmyl2:

hiram1
11-22-2011, 08:05 PM
WELCOME and hope your happy here with us good guys one and all.just wach out for the boolit loob grooves thay try to sell thay sold me 5.000 and there good but hard to see

canyon-ghost
11-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Well, a gent that shoots 44 Special and Magnum revolvers can't be all bad! Howdy and welcome to the Silver Stream.

MtGun44
11-24-2011, 09:51 PM
"soft stuff like Lyman #2" - - - - - - Uh-OH, looks like you've been reading
all that commercial caster propaganda. :bigsmyl2:

Done right, 8 BHN, softer than wheel weights will do just fine at full magnum
velocities in .357. .44 Mag and such with excellent accuracy. This "harder is
better" idea seems to have really taken root out there in the great wilderness
and it has been a chore stamping it out.

Welcome to the party.

Bill

TCLouis
11-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Welcome aboard.

This is my favorite site for shared knowledge and mostly friendly discussions.

It will get ya chastised royally by some here and certainly in the unknowing outside world, but just remember

Bullet = full length gas check

Boolit the real deal for shooting most stuff and can have a gas check or PB.

OBIII
11-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the forum, Dave. May you have many happy hours perusing the various topics, I know that I have. "Civilized Members"? Guess you haven't visited the pit yet.

:kidding:

quilbilly
11-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the site and our community. I was one of those confounded outdoor writers here in Western Washington for 25 years but I feel much better now.

smoked turkey
11-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Dave:
I also want to welcome you to the site. I am still on a steep learning curve so I don't give much advice on things related to cast boolits unless it is a pretty simple question that even a cave man knows. Otherwise I can predict that you will have a ball here along with the rest of us misfits. It sounds like you have a heap of knowhow already so I expect to hear from you now and again.

MtGun44
11-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Hans,

NOW THAT is easy to read!

Bill

PatMarlin
11-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Welcome-

Last time I was in Wyoming, I got a go cup at the Ramada for my drinky poo...:mrgreen:

DaveCampbell
11-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks to all for the welcome!