PDA

View Full Version : Pressure?

Jammer Six
11-22-2011, 05:55 AM
In swaging a boolit, how much pressure are we talking about?

That is, how much pressure does the cylinder generate?

DukeInFlorida
11-22-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure any of us have put a pressure gauge on our presses.
Suffice it to say that the pressures are well within the capabilities of most single stage reloading presses.

You don't need "tonnage"........ that is to say, you don't need like a 3 ton or a 5 ton press.

If you're going to make swaged bullets on a high volume production basis (as for resale), then you will want to buy a dedicated higher pressure machine, like a Corbin, just so it all goes faster.

However, for my own purposes, several hundred or thousand at a time, my Rockchucker press (RCBS) works fine. I put a longer arm on it to make it easier for my old arms to do the work.

frank martinez
11-23-2011, 03:08 AM
My friend Bill and I were running some lead wire on his Hydro and we started around 700 lbs. We went up a bit when we went to larger diameter. Bill has warned me several times about using too much pressure with even my Mitey Mite presses because it can generate enough pressure to blow out your dies. His personal experience.
Frank

Reload3006
11-23-2011, 10:36 PM
I have both a walnut hill from Richard Corbin and the Rockchucker conversion from Dr blackmon. I have never changed the handle on my Rockchucker using it i have broken both my core swage die and my core seat die. so yes the normal rockchucker press will deliver enough pressure to swage. too much even

plamenti
11-24-2011, 09:09 AM
A quote from hier (http://www.corbins.com/fjfb-3.htm):

Otherwise, the pressure (which can reach 20,000 to 50,000 psi in typical swaging operations)...

firefly1957
11-24-2011, 11:05 AM
There is a difference between pressure and force if you have a hydrolic press then you could measure pressure for the amount of force you are exerting on the bullet. With most of us we are using leverage to produce force and that force on the bullet goes down as the diameter of the bullet goes up. What I am trying to say is if our press produces 8 tons at the top of the stoke a smaller bullet will get more pressure per square inc than I large bullet (I tried to do the math but decided against it).

mold maker
11-24-2011, 11:53 AM
No problem with .41, .44, and .45 using an RCBS Supreme and BTs dies. There is more than enough leverage to do the job.