PDA

View Full Version : Free Fish Weekend...

dk17hmr
02-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Here in MI the DNR lets you fish for free 2 weekends a year. This weekend happened to be one of them. I ussally buy a fishing licence every year so it doesnt make a difference to me. But my older brother Zac isnt much of an outdoorsman, he buys one deer tag and until this year he hasnt done anything but rifle hunt for his buck, (I got him bow hunting with me this past season), he doesnt small game hunt, and doesnt buy a fishing lisence.

Well we took advantage of the free fish weekend, got him up early this morning already had my truck packed with all my gear, shanty, auger, heater, fishing sticks, radio...ya'll know the important stuff. We stopped on the way to the bay, 5 miles from the house, and I bought minows at my normal bait shop, I handed the worker my bucket asked for 2 dozen perch minows and got 4 dozen for the same price.

We walked out about 3/4 of a mile, just off a shipping channel the and started chippin the ice away. I took my fire axe just because, it was a good thing too because we start drilling our holes and our auger went dull pretty quick. Took us an hour to get to the water and there ended up being 2 foot of ice.

Well we started catchin perch within 10 minutes after getting my shanty set up. What a mornign we didnt keep any but we caught better then 30 in the few hours we were on the ice. It was a good day.

KCSO
02-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Good going, maybe you hoooked more than fish. You may have gained a fishing partner.

9.3X62AL
02-19-2007, 12:12 AM
2 feet of ice.......yeah, that has "global warming" just written all over it.

waksupi
02-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Doug, scrounge up some money, and get a Strike Master ice auger. I can drill two feet of ice, in around two minutes or less. These things are like a laser beam through the ice. amazing! Cut better than most of the power drills I see on the lakes.

dk17hmr
02-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Global warming....I have to agree with that. We have had sub zero temps for 3 weeks now, but there was a crack out there that guys were crossing, about a 5 foot crack. Back at the parking area we stopped and gave a father son team the rest of our minows and talked to them a bit. They said it they were out same spot yesterday and the crack was only 6" wide going out and about 4 feet on the way back in.

Waksupi we have one of those old paddle type augers and it is about junk, I have been looking half heartly at a better one but I ussally fish with my friends they have gas augers and spuds so I never really have to bring my own. I will probably buy a new hand auger when they got on sale at the end of the season.

mainiac
02-19-2007, 08:27 PM
waksupi,whats a strike master? Do you have a web site or something? All we have up here is jiffy augers.And very rarily,an eskimo (I think)

wills
02-19-2007, 09:32 PM
is this it?
http://www.strikemaster.com/

waksupi
02-20-2007, 01:18 AM
http://www.strikemaster.com/laser_hand.html

That gets you to the one I use. i have the seven inch, and it is a cuttin' sonofagun.
If anyone has a Mora model ,and needs some cutters, I have a set of brand new 7" blades for sale.