PDA

View Full Version : NOE Mold

41 mag fan
11-21-2011, 07:45 PM
I've bought several mold over the course of several months from NOE in group buys and extras Al had for sale and a mold from Miha.

Only thing I've cast with so far is using my Lee molds and my .503 mold from Miha which is really nice.

Today I started casting using my NOE .453 196gr SWC.

All I can say is OMG.....I was in heaven!!

The first pour 1 was good the other, was only 1/2 filled. I had to adjust my pour.

After that....well I was so happy I took a pic of my creations.

Sorry if the pics are blurry, I took it using my ph camera.

I made up about 200 casts and from what I've seen so far I don't have any in it that are rejects.

I know NOE has my business and lots of it from here on out.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo11211521.jpg

R.M.
11-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Wait till you shoot them. You'll even be happier.

Jailer
11-21-2011, 07:58 PM
I've got that mold in a 5 cavity. It is the best casting mold I own. Unfortunately, it won't feed reliably in my Glock 21 no matter what I try.

Too bad too. The first session I used it I emptied the pot 3 times in just a couple hours with hardly a reject it was so easy to cast with.

41 mag fan
11-21-2011, 08:09 PM
I could of done that myself, emptied the pot, but it started getting dark and I cast in the garage in front of the door. when I got the door up it blocks my light.

Jailer I wish I could of gotten it in 5 cavity.
I've got a Lee in the 230gr RN thats NIB.
I'm thinking that I'll keep it back and buy me one in this gr's from Al when I see a group buy or an extra he's selling.

R.M.
I cant wait to see how they do. I got a RIA thats being finicky on 230 gr LRN a friend of mine cast up, I'll be anxious to see how these do.

SkookumJeff
11-21-2011, 08:09 PM
I really appreciate this post, I"m in a similar situation.

So far I also have all Lee moulds, both 2 & 6 cavity. I've had a hard time getting to the point where I am casting usable boolits. My biggest rookie mistake was not getting my melt hot enough to cast good boolits. Now that I'm past that, I'm banging out boolits like crazy and almost all look good visually. BUT - now that the boolits LOOK good, I'm having other issues like out of round boolits (up to .005 TIR out of round) and variations in boolit weight. Most boolits from a casting session will fall within 1-2 grains, larger variation in weight occur in smaller numbers with most boolits being lighter, a few heavier.

The thing is, not having any experience with other brands of molds, I don't know how much better casting with other molds can be, so I've been content with my Lee moulds. The question in my mind is if other molds are better, HOW MUCH BETTER? If I could cast boolits that were within +/- 1 grain and +/- .001 in dia., I'd be ecstatic. I'm about to discover if that is possible, I'm working on getting a couple of NOE molds. I'll find out. If there is a dramatic difference, then I've bought my last Lee mold.

What temp was your alloy that you cast your boolits at? Were the NOE molds aluminum or? Thanks.

41 mag fan
11-21-2011, 08:23 PM

So far I also have all Lee moulds, both 2 & 6 cavity. I've had a hard time getting to the point where I am casting usable boolits. My biggest rookie mistake was not getting my melt hot enough to cast good boolits. Now that I'm past that, I'm banging out boolits like crazy and almost all look good visually. BUT - now that the boolits LOOK good, I'm having other issues like out of round boolits (up to .005 TIR out of round) and variations in boolit weight. Most boolits from a casting session will fall within 1-2 grains, larger variation in weight occur in smaller numbers with most boolits being lighter, a few heavier.

The thing is, not having any experience with other brands of molds, I don't know how much better casting with other molds can be, so I've been content with my Lee moulds. The question in my mind is if other molds are better, HOW MUCH BETTER? If I could cast boolits that were within +/- 1 grain and +/- .001 in dia., I'd be ecstatic. I'm about to discover if that is possible, I'm working on getting a couple of NOE molds. I'll find out. If there is a dramatic difference, then I've bought my last Lee mold.

What temp was your alloy that you cast your boolits at? Were the NOE molds aluminum or? Thanks.

Buy the NOE molds. You wont be dissapointed.
I've got 5 or 6 Lee molds and everyone of them from the get go has either gave me trouble or I just didn't like the looks of the boolits.
I thought it was my mix, when using the Lees, but I remelted some rejects from my Lee 450gr mold for my 500.
I was using a mix of Hardcast from rotometal and some from Muddy Creek Sam.
I heat my pot up till I hit 650*-675*. Thats close to what I read in a thread from gearnasher about 100* over liquid state.
And it seems to work, for me.

Now my Miha mold, I really like it too. I can bang out alot of 450 and 410gr boolits pretty quick. It's in the .503 and most of them are throwing out at .505, but I can size down...just not up.

One thing I did do different than I'm sure alot do on here, is I don't whack the sprue open with a club, or stick. I use a glove and open the sprue by hand.
I learned this on my Lee mold, 2 whacks and the sprue plate warped and bent.

As of right now after buying several molds so far from NOE and 1 from Miha, I'll never buy again from Lee.
Buy 1 from NOE and you'll immediatley see the difference and wont regret spending the money on it.

Also mine is an aluminum.

Blammer
11-21-2011, 08:41 PM
key to making sure any mould doesn't cast out of round boolits is to make sure you don't get a tad bit of lead splattered on the face of the mould when it's open. that will keep the mould from closing all the way and cause out of round and inconsistent boolits.

Jailer
11-21-2011, 09:55 PM

My 5 cavity is aluminum.

With this mold I try to keep the melt right at 670 using straight wheel weights. Sprue cuts with a gloved hand once it sets. Then I hold the mold with a slight bit of outward pressure on the mold handles with one hand until it releases and pops open. When it does all the boolits drop right out.

After weighing them, about 90% come right in at 198.3gr with the rest within .2 of a gr. Like I said, it is by far the best casting mold I own.

kbstenberg
11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Like all hobbies. It just takes time an experience. I have started reading old threads from several more experienced casters an trying to take there advice.
Hey 41 Mag fan You should be up here now. Last couple of mornings have been in the low single digits. 1 day got to 19 the other (today) got to 22. I will be ice fishing in a couple of weeks.

Bushrat
11-21-2011, 11:03 PM
I have been looking at that mold how do they feed? I am waiting for a group buy, but will be in Mexico for the next four months, but maybe can get on a group buy as I have internet there

MikeS
11-22-2011, 01:28 AM
If you're looking for an NOE 230gr round nose, you don't have to look too far. Right now Al has a listing for his H&G #34 clone which is exactly what you're looking for. I have that mould in a 5 cavity version, and it casts great boolits, right from the very first one!

41 mag fan
11-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Like all hobbies. It just takes time an experience. I have started reading old threads from several more experienced casters an trying to take there advice.
Hey 41 Mag fan You should be up here now. Last couple of mornings have been in the low single digits. 1 day got to 19 the other (today) got to 22. I will be ice fishing in a couple of weeks.

Thats a bit nippy in the single digits. But it's a different style of cold than here, so really it's not too bad. Told the wife since she's from Hack, she just shook her head and said thats crazy. Right now it's still in the 50ish here for the high, lows in the 40's...aqnd raining right now...
Dr wont release me back to work for another 3 weeks at least, I could handle some ice fishing. Used to hit Stony up there at the in laws when I was working at my previous job, and had all week off at Christmas.
Freezes up enough, if you haven't tried it yet, go hit Shingobee bay, on Leech for some sunnies. Just about anywhere in that bay is good. About 40-50' away from Marina dock, start there and work to center of bay.

Just looked at the weather, supposed to be a high of 64 today. It could stay that yr round and i wouldn't complain

If you're looking for an NOE 230gr round nose, you don't have to look too far. Right now Al has a listing for his H&G #34 clone which is exactly what you're looking for. I have that mould in a 5 cavity version, and it casts great boolits, right from the very first one!

I'll have to check that one out Mike. I must've passed by it without thinking.
Thanks for the heads up!

Just posted my "I want" on it. 5 cavity one.
Thanks again MikeS

jonk
11-22-2011, 10:11 AM
I like that the NOE molds don't need final cavity polishing to drop reliably, and they do indeed make fine bullets. There are a few minor points about their design I don't like- mainly I find that the sprue plate is a bit hard to cut if you order the 4 or 5 hole models, and the design would benefit from something like Lee's sprue plate handle with the camming action to speed things up. I also find that they are a bit pricey; for a multi cavity mold I'm willing to accept this, but will only buy a NOE mold if a Lee mold isn't available in the style I need. Plus their production schedule is quite slow, but as they say, good things come to those who wait.

All in all I'd give them an A rating. Would be A plus if they had a cam over sprue cutter. Top notch quality though.

Those are pretty nice bullets too. :)

sqlbullet
11-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I am gonna have to take the plunge on a mold from them soon. I need a high volume 200 grain to feed my 10mm habit and I think they have the right prescription.

41 mag fan
11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
I like that the NOE molds don't need final cavity polishing to drop reliably, and they do indeed make fine bullets. There are a few minor points about their design I don't like- mainly I find that the sprue plate is a bit hard to cut if you order the 4 or 5 hole models, and the design would benefit from something like Lee's sprue plate handle with the camming action to speed things up. I also find that they are a bit pricey; for a multi cavity mold I'm willing to accept this, but will only buy a NOE mold if a Lee mold isn't available in the style I need. Plus their production schedule is quite slow, but as they say, good things come to those who wait.

All in all I'd give them an A rating. Would be A plus if they had a cam over sprue cutter. Top notch quality though.

Those are pretty nice bullets too. :)

Thanks Jonk!
Only setback to the spru plate handle is it'll add an extra $$ to the mold. Would be something for someone to invent and sell I guess.
Every Lee mold I've owned has been nothing short of a nightmare, and extra work on my part trying to get them to work right.
they're made from cheaper grade aluminum and the QC ??? Do they even have one?? I've had a .429 214gr 2 cav from them that has such bad chatter marks in it, I ended up throwing it in the trash, then fished out and thought about sending back, but i don't think its worth the postage to.
Then I got ahold of a Mihec and NOE molds.....well worth the $$ to me.

captaint
11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
For me, it's more a matter of boolit design. I have the NOE's and the Mihec's. Both are fine molds that make fine boolits. Either one. 41mag fan - you're gonna like the way that H&G `130 clone shoots. My 1911's feed them real well. One of my favorites.. enjoy Mike

41 mag fan
11-22-2011, 06:13 PM
I just realized this morning, I got about 10 kish of that mold design boolit, I think. friend of mine on here that lives in IL made me them up a few yrs ago, but now I got into casting.

I've got an RIA I bought in Oct that has a hard time taking 230gr. But all my Kimbers, STi's and Remington, ruger love them without a hiccup.

The RIA is getting ready to get a face lift.

MikeS
11-22-2011, 07:22 PM
41MagFan: Actually if NOE would just modify their sprue plate design on their 5 cavity sprue plates to leave enough meat behind the mould, it's a relatively simple matter to drill the hole in the sprue plate (although personally I would prefer it was pre-drilled), and either buy the needed parts from Lee, or better yet, KAL Tool (A member here) makes a replacement sprue cam lever that's much nicer than Lee's in that it's both stronger (being made from real steel, not sintered metal (powdered metal put in a mould, then heated, or something like that), and it's cam action moves the sprue plate further which makes it easier to use. Another option (and one I might use for one of my 5 cavity NOE moulds) would be to have a custom sprue plate made that could use the cam lever. Another forum member (I'm sorry, my mind is a blank for names tonight) makes custom sprue plates for something like $25.00. So far I have 2 NOE 5 cavity moulds, a 45 one, and a 30. The 45 is real easy to open, as long as it's done soon enough after filling the mould, but with the 30 I guess it's hard to keep the blocks up to temp, and I find that I need to use a mallet to open that mould more often than not. Several months ago (before I switched to having mostly 4 cavity or more moulds, and when the only 4 cavity mould I owned was a Lyman) I had posted a thread about putting sprue plate cam levers on 4 cavity moulds, but since then I've been using several Mihec 4 cavity moulds, and they really don't need them. I think now the lever would mostly benefit 5 cavity or more moulds. I've got one SAECO 8 cavity mould that would really benefit from one, and I've been meaning to get a custom sprue plate made for it, but like so many things, I either forget about it, or have other projects that I'm involved in that are a higher priority.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're going to enjoy using the NOE #34 clone mould!

41 mag fan
11-23-2011, 12:12 AM
41MagFan: Actually if NOE would just modify their sprue plate design on their 5 cavity sprue plates to leave enough meat behind the mould, it's a relatively simple matter to drill the hole in the sprue plate (although personally I would prefer it was pre-drilled), and either buy the needed parts from Lee, or better yet, KAL Tool (A member here) makes a replacement sprue cam lever that's much nicer than Lee's in that it's both stronger (being made from real steel, not sintered metal (powdered metal put in a mould, then heated, or something like that), and it's cam action moves the sprue plate further which makes it easier to use. Another option (and one I might use for one of my 5 cavity NOE moulds) would be to have a custom sprue plate made that could use the cam lever. Another forum member (I'm sorry, my mind is a blank for names tonight) makes custom sprue plates for something like $25.00. So far I have 2 NOE 5 cavity moulds, a 45 one, and a 30. The 45 is real easy to open, as long as it's done soon enough after filling the mould, but with the 30 I guess it's hard to keep the blocks up to temp, and I find that I need to use a mallet to open that mould more often than not. Several months ago (before I switched to having mostly 4 cavity or more moulds, and when the only 4 cavity mould I owned was a Lyman) I had posted a thread about putting sprue plate cam levers on 4 cavity moulds, but since then I've been using several Mihec 4 cavity moulds, and they really don't need them. I think now the lever would mostly benefit 5 cavity or more moulds. I've got one SAECO 8 cavity mould that would really benefit from one, and I've been meaning to get a custom sprue plate made for it, but like so many things, I either forget about it, or have other projects that I'm involved in that are a higher priority.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're going to enjoy using the NOE #34 clone mould!

I hear ya on the too many projects. I don't get my casting done now, I wont get back to it till spring. Coming up on winter, I'll be spending all my time loading 223's up till spring, inbetween my work schedule when the Dr lets me go back.

But I ordered it this afternoon, when I got back on here and seen Al had pm'd me. Now to get it past my wife....

Mike if you can remember his name, pass it on to me about the cam levers. I might be interested in one.
tomorrow it's off to the 226gr .429 boolit.
I think I made enough up of the 196gr yesterday and today.
My pile from today I'm letting dry.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo11221516.jpg