PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 66A for a Rossi

no34570
11-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Hi
Came across an old Lyman 66A sight,in a box of old gun bits that I was throwing out that was my Stepdads(deceased) and I forgot I kept that.
It was on an old Winchester 94,wish I had the rifle,but my step dad had to get rid of it,he let his license lapse,from ill health.

Could I put this on a Rossi 92 454 Casull or my other Rossi 92 44 mag,both have no safety buttons(they did not come with it).
which would be better to put it on,the 454 or the 44 Mag
The 454 is a carbine,20 inch barrel & the 44 Mag is a rifle,24 inch barrel,half octagonal/half round,with an action as smooth as a babies butt :)

Both rifles,don't have any D&T holes,so what size does it have to be?
Size of the hole to be drilled and what tap? Is it an easy job,or should I get a gunsmith to do it?
Do other apertures fit this model??
It has a bit of scuffing on it,so would I be able to disassemble it and clean it up and then re-blue it,is it wise I mean?

Looked around for the Lyman sight here in Australia,around the $90 mark,new :rolleyes:

Thanks for any or all replies ;-)

pietro
11-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Model 92's & Model 94 sights are identical, so the Lyman 66A can be used on either of the Rossi Model 92's via drilling/tapping two 6-48 holes in the left/rear receiver wall near the locking lug recess for the sight base.

If you do it yourself, first position the fully-assembled sight on the rifle, and mark it's position. Then reposition the base only, using the previous mark(s), and mark one of the base holes onto the receiver wall (not both). Drill the single hole, then tap/thread it. Use the one screw to hold the base in position when drilling the 2nd hole, then remove it while tapping the 2nd hole, then put everything together with blue loctite.

Multiple various apertures are available, you can just remove the aperture & shoot through the resultant "ghost ring", and If it's the older steel-bodied sight, it can be reblued.

no34570
11-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Just an update
I was looking over it and the dang thing says Lyman 66 MC,looked it up and it is supposed to be for a Marlin 39A,but this one looks nothing like the new one's.
It's base does not have a curved bit that faces the receiver,I will post pics
But I have seen this on a Winchester 94,unless this is one he had for something else
?????

no34570
11-22-2011, 04:13 AM
Well
I took a photo of it,here it is,you can just see it says "Lyman 66 MC"
???:killingpc

MtGun44
11-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Seems like it should work. The main issue is whether the aperture will reach far enough
to center over the action. If you are not comfortable with this, have a gunsmith do it.

Bill

no34570
11-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Seems like it should work. The main issue is whether the aperture will reach far enough
to center over the action. If you are not comfortable with this, have a gunsmith do it.

Bill
Thanks for that MtGun44,I will keep my options open on this. ;)

jlchucker
11-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I have an EMF rifle in 44 mag caliber. The frame is color-case. A gunsmith friend of mine drilled and tapped it for a Lyman (or Williams--same hole pattern) sight like yours. It works just fine. One thing my friend noticed, though--and something you may want to keep in mind: He discovered that this color-case was genuinely HARD. In fact, hardened all the way through. He had a heck of a time drilling and tapping those holes. Til is a gunsmith that has been in business for decades, and has worked on a lot of leverguns over the years. He said that he'd never encountered a receiver as hard as mine was. I don't know what the blued frames are like. I've got one of those, too but haven't approache him about drilling and tapping it yet.

fecmech
11-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I D&T'd my blued Rossi 92 about 6 mo. ago, no problems.

oneokie
11-25-2011, 06:18 PM
The base you have pictured if for a flat sided reciever. The aperture looks to have been modified so as to sit lower on the action.

Brownells has several different apertures listed for reciever sights. Lyman also has replacement parts available.