PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shooting RB

tomme boy
11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
I have a T/C New Englander in 50 cal. I am having trouble holding any kind of accuracy. I used to be able to hold about a 1.5" edge to edge group with it. I took a long break in shooting this ML, about 10 or so years. Now I can't seem to shoot it anymore.

I am having good luck with maxi-balls and Lee REALS. The Maxi is like 370gr and the Lee is 250gr. Both under 80gr of Pyro Select. I have a feeling it is how I am seating it. I have tried .015 an .018 patches prelubed from T/C. And a .015 from CVA. Standard caps and mag caps. I have gone from 50-100grs of powder. It starts to burn through at 95grs. Under that they are fine. ??????????

waksupi
11-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Have you changed the nipple? That can help.

750k2
11-21-2011, 07:01 PM
I find that if you want a RB rifle you need a slow twist.
Some fast will work OK but it is never optimum.
Light loads should work better than heavy.
If your blowing patches try a backer - hornet nest or felt wad.
Give the bore a good cleaning
Try some real powder.

tomme boy
11-21-2011, 07:11 PM
New nipple. Would the seating preassure make a differance? It seems I remember that if I had a consistant seating preassure, it shot better. But, I am having a hard time getting it the same.

waksupi
11-21-2011, 07:50 PM
I would also go with Holy Black.

11-21-2011, 09:13 PM
tomme boy,
There is no reason your rifle won't shoot a RB pretty well. Usually a ball on the large side (maybe .495) and a tight weave cotton patch on the thin side (maybe thinner than ticking) that is a good snug fit over about 50-70 gr of black should do well for accuracy. Also, It may require more frequent swabbing/cleaning for best accuracy.

If you have shot a bunch of conicals thru that bore you might check for leading. They can lead up badly especially in the first few inches ahead of the seated conical. If that is happening, it doesn't help accuracy!

mooman76
11-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Have you tried swabbing after after each shot? Also a different lube sometimes helps. Consistancy is the key also and that could come with more practice.

451 Pete
11-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Tomme Boy,
Seating pressure that is not consistant can change a point of impact. I am not sure that is what is happening here because you mentioned that the conicals were shooting fine and seating pressure would vary the grouping from those also. I am wondering if it may be you are either using a different type of powder ( Pyrodex Select vs. Pyrodex R/S ?? ) or your cleaning and loading routine has changed. Just another thought. If the patch is burning out you can try a double patch or a few leaves of hornets nesting material under your patch.

Pete

mooman76
11-22-2011, 12:04 AM
You stated what it grouped (1.5) years ago. What is it grouping now?

tomme boy
11-22-2011, 01:24 AM
It is scattering them about 14". When I can feel the ball seat just on the powder, it groups like it did before. I am not swabbing betwwen shots. I go 3-4 rds before I swab.

I finally was able to locate a guy that makes fireworks that has real BP.
This is the link to him. http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html

Anyone have any experiance with any of the powder he has? I'm going for a ride tommorrow to go get some.

I am going to try swabbing betwwen every shot. That and trying the real black stuff. We will see.

Flinchrock
11-22-2011, 08:00 AM
It is scattering them about 14". When I can feel the ball seat just on the powder, it groups like it did before. I am not swabbing betwwen shots. I go 3-4 rds before I swab.

I finally was able to locate a guy that makes fireworks that has real BP.
This is the link to him. http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html

Anyone have any experiance with any of the powder he has? I'm going for a ride tommorrow to go get some.

I am going to try swabbing betwwen every shot. That and trying the real black stuff. We will see.

Sure does sound like symptoms of some kind of buildup in the bore,,,was "bore budder" used extensivly before?

If it was mine, I would try cleaning with bronze brush and kerosene, followed by acetone patches. Don't forget to twist the brush at the breech end before pulling it back out.

Let us know how it works out.

Geraldo
11-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm with 405, sounds like leading.

P.K.
11-22-2011, 09:57 AM
tomme boy,
There is no reason your rifle won't shoot a RB pretty well. Usually a ball on the large side (maybe .495) and a tight weave cotton patch on the thin side (maybe thinner than ticking) that is a good snug fit over about 50-70 gr of black should do well for accuracy. Also, It may require more frequent swabbing/cleaning for best accuracy.

If you have shot a bunch of conicals thru that bore you might check for leading. They can lead up badly especially in the first few inches ahead of the seated conical. If that is happening, it doesn't help accuracy!

Two thumbs up right there!

docone31
11-22-2011, 10:31 AM
There is always Mercon ATF and Choreboy
Does a serious job.

451 Pete
11-22-2011, 11:39 AM
tomme boy,

I checked out the link to the powder company. Crater carries Diamondback, Schuetzen, Wano and Swiss black powders. I have shot the Schuetzen and the Swiss and sell those and Goex for the NMLRA at Friendship. The best powder ( cleanest burning and hottest per granulation size ) is the Swiss. It is also the most expensive.
The Schuetzen is a bit dirtier burning ( a little more clean up after shooting ) and not quite as hot a burning powder. Either one should be a better choice ( in my opinion ) than the Pyrodex. If you are burning out patch's the 2fg would be my choice in either powder for granulation. 2 fg is easier on the nipple too, especially if you are shooting conicals. Either way you should be a lot happier with the black powder than a substitute.

If you have any lead in the bore any good oil ( WD - 40 works ) and 8 - 10 pass's with a bronze bristle brush will break the cohesiveness of the lead to the bore. The lead will show up on a clean patch as small sparkly grey particles once it breaks down and releases from the barrel.

Hope this helps ..... Pete

tomme boy
11-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Well I went and got some of the Diamondback in 2f an 3f. Went out to range a little while ago. I can say, I like the real BP better.

I was able to shot a 1" group of 5 at 50 yds. Then I took it to 75 yds an was able to get a 1.5" group of 5.

I checked the patches that I could find and none burned threw. I shot all with 80 grs of 2f. Looks like I am going to be shooting more of this stuff. Oh, the balls were ones I poured useing a 2 cavity Lee mold. I used melted down shotgun slugs for the lead. Don't know how hard they are, but I can scratch them with my thumb nail.

Thanks again for the help.

roverboy
11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Glad you got it figured out. My New Englander would shoot round balls good with Goex 2f and .015" patch. I've not tried them in a while.

11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Good news! That's the way most MLs should shoot RBs. Real BP has it's moment in the sun :)

About the shotgun slugs. If they are old style factory types (similar to minie balls) then they should be pretty soft... I'd say you are good to go.

451 Pete
11-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Thats Great! It sounds like everything is working again as it is supposed to.

Take care ... Pete

SamTexas49
11-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Always love it when a plan comes together.....!

Hannibal