PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up a RCBS LAM

fishnbob
11-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I am trying to clean out an old RCBS LAM of the old lube so I can check everything out and repair anything that needs it. Anybody point me to an old thread where I can get advise on the in's & out's. I think boiling it out would be quicker & cleaner but do you have to remove the threaded rod & plunger first? Thanks[smilie=s:

largom
11-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I recently cleaned out one I had purchased at an auctioned. I clamped it in a vice, removed the sizing die, placed rags under and around and then heated with a hot air gun. After all of the old lube ran out I cleaned the internal areas with a rag wrapped around a long screwdriver. A good hair dryer would work in place of a hot air gun. Took less than 20 minutes.

Larry

fishnbob
11-21-2011, 07:00 PM
I recently cleaned out one I had purchased at an auctioned. I clamped it in a vice, removed the sizing die, placed rags under and around and then heated with a hot air gun. After all of the old lube ran out I cleaned the internal areas with a rag wrapped around a long screwdriver. A good hair dryer would work in place of a hot air gun. Took less than 20 minutes.

Larry

Thanks Larry, I happen to have just bought a hot air gun from Harbor Freight. I used it on my other LAM to warm up the lube and it wrinkled the paint. I guess it would remove the old lube okay if I don't get carried away and pay attention to what I'm doing.

Thanks-Bobby:bigsmyl2: