PDA

View Full Version : The Cricket goes tactical !

Jim
11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm the 'designated shooter' for the guys I 'coon hunt with. I use a Cricket with a 4X 32MM Bushnell Sportview scope on it. Last Friday, we killed our first one of the season.

Jeff, the 'hunt master', had to stand behind me with his spotlight to illuminate the target. If his light moves, I loose the target. If I move, I loose the light. Gotta' be a way to fix that.

I have a small box full of old scope rings, mounts and hardware. I found a 1" rimfire ring that has the pincer style attachment and modified it to hold a small flashlight.

My wonderful wife bought a flashlight for me at Home Depot. It's a 'Coast' brand, 183 lumens, with spot to flood adjustment and high/low selection. The flashlight stays with the make shift mount, but the mount can be slipped on and off the barrel. Now, when I look through the scope, the target is fully illuminated and the light stays where the scope is pointing.

My little Cricket 'coon huntin' rifle is now tactical!

http://jgcphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p10100027-e1321898813119.jpg

http://jgcphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p10100052-e1321899382442.jpg

http://jgcphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/p10100063-e1321899202888.jpg

tuckerdog
11-21-2011, 03:35 PM
I like it, sure beats holding the maglite under the stock

Jim
11-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Exactly!!

oneokie
11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Dry wall screws? omg! You are truly a Red Neck :mrgreen:

Jim
11-21-2011, 05:49 PM
They are NOT drywall screws! They're #6 self tapping sheetmetal screws. So there!

This is Floyd. You ain't gonna find 10-40 blued machine screws here.
Hey, ya' do what ya' gotta do to get the job done, right?
:bigsmyl2:

hpdrifter
11-23-2011, 11:06 PM
the batf may have something to say about that.

hithard
11-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Aint nothing a rattle can can't cover up, Hide that shinny

Looks GOOD!!

plmitch
11-24-2011, 02:48 AM
sweet setup there!

greywuuf
11-24-2011, 03:17 AM
Dontcha need a Red filter element on that ?

Jim
11-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Obviously, there's a lot I don't know about 'coon huntin' in Virginia.

What would ATF have to say about my rifle?

Why do I need to hide the light?

Why do I need a red filter?

redneckdan
11-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Obviously, there's a lot I don't know about 'coon huntin' in Virginia.

What would ATF have to say about my rifle?

Why do I need to hide the light?

Why do I need a red filter?

BATF won't care, if it was a homemade suppressor that would be another story.

The red lens is to preserve night vision. Adding a red filter drastically reduces light out put with incandescent lights and would be even worse with that LED light. If you want a red light best bet would be to swap in a red led module.

cheese1566
11-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Remember in Caddyshack when Carl the groundskeeper (Bill Murray) mounted big long silver flashlight to his rifle using hose clamps to get the Gopher ?!!!

Jim
11-24-2011, 02:50 PM
BATF won't care, if it was a homemade suppressor that would be another story.

The red lens is to preserve night vision. Adding a red filter drastically reduces light out put with incandescent lights and would be even worse with that LED light. If you want a red light best bet would be to swap in a red led module.

Yeah, with all the flashlights and mounts on the market, I can't see BATF being interested in a rifle with a light on it.

As for the red lens, I'm not lookin' for one, somebody asked didn't I need one. Heck, I bought a 183 lumen light so I can permanently blind him just before I shoot him in the head.

oneokie
11-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Put him out of his misery type deal?

Jim
11-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Out of his misery an' in the crock pot!

bruce drake
11-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Another reason for that coon to not to look at the light!!!

Jim
11-24-2011, 08:55 PM
It don't matter, Bruce. With 183 lumens on him, I'll be able to count his whiskers in a 4X scope.

GT27
11-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I like mine,you can carry it for a week and not notice,accurate too! Nice rig for coonin'!!

cabezaverde
01-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks you guys. Now you talked me into getting one for my grandson to use.

Wayne Smith
01-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, Jim, did mounting that light change point of impact?

canyon-ghost
01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Okay, a single shot with a flashlight, that'll do, lol. Looks like something I'd have to put my coffee mug on the hood of the pickup, to shoot! Night time varmints sure stay up late!

bigfoot
01-08-2012, 08:59 PM
I think the mount is cool!!! Does what it was designed for!!!
Bigfoot

arjacobson
01-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Dry wall screws? omg! You are truly a Red Neck :mrgreen:

no they look like drywall screws to me too:bigsmyl2:

LAH
01-09-2012, 08:57 PM
They are NOT drywall screws! They're #6 self tapping sheetmetal screws. So there!

This is Floyd. You ain't gonna find 10-40 blued machine screws here.
Hey, ya' do what ya' gotta do to get the job done, right?
:bigsmyl2:

HEE HEE sounds like Dry Creek.

stubshaft
01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Only Jim would build a Crickett Assault rifle!

10 ga
01-09-2012, 09:57 PM
FLOYD Co. is downright civilized compared to where I lived for a while in Bland Co. However I think the necks are plenty red in both places. LOL 10 ga

VA Shooter
01-10-2012, 08:41 AM
That is one cool pop gun

Jim
01-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Only Jim would build a Crickett Assault rifle!

Stub, it's not an assault rifle, it's a 'mission specific platform'! [smilie=w:

Tazman1602
01-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Out of his misery an' in the crock pot!

You know Jim, I was just going to ask WHY people go coon hunting. We've got a TON of them around here but I've never known anyone to actually eat them, most of the guys I know go for the pelts.

Do you actually eat coon of are you kidding...excuse my dam Yankee ignorance, we only kill them because they raid the bird feeders, get into the garbage, carry rabies, and are just generally mean.

NICE TACTICAL MAN!!!

Art

Jim
01-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Taz,
'Coon huntin' is a southern social activity more than anything else. It's certainly not about the meat as there's not much there. But, to answer your question, yes, I do eat it. I was taught by an elderly gentleman when I was a pup how to fix it. If you know how, it makes a wonderful stew.

Tazman1602
01-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Taz,
'Coon huntin' is a southern social activity more than anything else. It's certainly not about the meat as there's not much there. But, to answer your question, yes, I do eat it. I was taught by an elderly gentleman when I was a pup how to fix it. If you know how, it makes a wonderful stew.

Thought so Jim. We squirrel hunt up here and wifey makes a mean "Squirrel pot pie" sometimes. People think we're crazy but if it's done right it's really good...

Always wanted to have a redbone coon hound!

Art

JJC
01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Another reason for that coon to not to look at the light!!!

Either way the coon's goin into the light right

arjacobson
01-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Taz,

RECIPE:boil coon meat with onions and taters for 2 hours-take off heat-throw coon meat away and eat the onions and taters!:razz:

stubshaft
01-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Stub, it's not an assault rifle, it's a 'mission specific platform'! [smilie=w:

That's the same thing BUBBA said!:bigsmyl2:

WILCO
09-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Just out of curiosity, Jim, did mounting that light change point of impact?

Good question! Can you give us an answer Sir? Inquiring minds want to know. :p

Tazman1602
09-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Taz,

You know Jim I was chuckling at you when you first posted this but I'm not now. Had a 'coon problem up here this summer as it was so warm, 90's most of the summer.

I was chuckin' them out back until I found out the skins were going for $35 a piece and I didn't even have to skin them, just take them to the guy.

....I mopped up buddy!

Art

atr
09-22-2012, 10:18 AM
great idea !
Im going to copy it and set up my .410 single shot the same way....lots of coons around here that need killing

Jim
09-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Wilco, I couldn't see any difference in POA/POI with or without the light. Remember, I zeroed it at 50 ft. 65 ft. is a long shot at a 'coon.

ATR, you might wanna stock up on LOTS of .410 ammo. 'Coons ain't easy to kill with a .410, that's why nobody I know that hunts them uses one.

Hamish
09-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Taz,
'Coon huntin' is a southern social activity more than anything else. If you know how, it makes a wonderful stew.

Would the esteemed gentleman do us the honor of sharing his recipe? It would certainly be put to good use.

Jim
09-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Here ya' go, Hamish. You can Google all kinds of recipes for 'coon. My favorite is grilled.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/dscn1163-e1348347464256.jpg

WILCO
09-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Wilco, I couldn't see any difference in POA/POI with or without the light. Remember, I zeroed it at 50 ft. 65 ft. is a long shot at a 'coon.

Thanks for the info Jim. Good to know.

Hamish
09-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you sir. Sw. Pot., wife will be tickled. Jim, friends don't let friends use (shudder) garlic powder.

Jim
09-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Hamish, here's two links that will keep you busy and your mouth watering!

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zracoon.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,coon,FF.html

kbstenberg
09-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Jim as I was reading your recipe I got to thinking. With all of those ingredients you won't be able to taste the meat. good going.

Jim
09-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Jim as I was reading your recipe I got to thinking. With all of those ingredients you won't be able to taste the meat. good going.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "good going", but you can cook any meat any number of ways.

WILCO
09-22-2012, 08:49 PM
but you can cook any meat any number of ways.

Yep. Smoked carp tastes good for a reason:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30610&sid=a13eaa67ead02c0bb4f8e2b550742982

OneSkinnyMass
09-22-2012, 11:11 PM
My first concern is it might mar the barrel but it is a coon rifle, right? I know I fell a couple times during the few years I hunted coon in southern Arkansas and I was a strapping young high school footballer, can't imagine running thru the dark woods like that now.
Ever taken any bad falls that damaged you or your equipment?

Skinny

Jim
09-23-2012, 08:15 AM
My first concern is it might mar the barrel but it is a coon rifle, right? I know I fell a couple times during the few years I hunted coon in southern Arkansas and I was a strapping young high school footballer, can't imagine running thru the dark woods like that now.
Ever taken any bad falls that damaged you or your equipment?
Skinny

I bought this rifle to make it a mission specific tool. I knew it might get dropped, scratched, dinged or even damaged to the point of needing repair. I don't care if the barrel finish is marred by force fitting a light bracket on it. I didn't buy it as an investment and I have no intention of reselling it. It's sole purpose in life is to kill 'coons, that's all.

To answer your second question, other than dropping my rifle and it sliding and bouncing down a 30 degree, rock strewn slope and another time when I and the rifle tripped over a root and went face first in a muddy creek in a cattle pasture, no.

pietro
09-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Taz, to answer your question, yes, I do eat it. I was taught by an elderly gentleman when I was a pup how to fix it. If you know how, it makes a wonderful stew.

Oh, YEAH ! - Dark/sweet meat - better than beef, boned out in a stew.

FWIW, I just bone out & chunk the 'coon meat, and toss it into a Roast 'n Boast oven baking bag from the grocery store with a buncha taters, carrots & greenbeans - then add a cup of beef broth before sealing the deal & popping it inta the oven for an hour or so (the directions come with the bags).

W.R.Buchanan
09-24-2012, 10:20 PM
If you guys run out of Coons I have plenty here in beautiful Ojai CA. Here they are regarded as little fuzzy little wildlife creatures to be nurtured and protected.

I have trapped and deported 37 in the last 3 years! Right up until I was told by F&G that it was illegal to transport them. IE; move the problem to another area. I was told byFf&G that if you took them 2-5 miles down wind from your house, they would do that trip back in about 2 hours.

Now I shoot them on sight. Unfortunately they do stay up really late.

They come in my yard and tear the hell out of it, looking for grubs etc. I put Grub X on the lawns and they stayed away for 2 years, now they're back and I treated the lawns again except now they don't care and continue to tear it up.

I must say I have been somewhat oblivious to this problem for the last couple of years as they were not directly affecting me however last night I was awakened at about 4 AM by a big Coon fight in my front yard about 10 feet from where my head was laying.

I have CCI CB longs for this problem.

Jim: I like your "Mission Specific Platform!"

However any I shoot will be going directly in my trash can, as if I presented one to my wife for preparation she would first puke, then beat me with said "dead coon" until I was tenderized enough for consumption by our cats!

Randy

Like I said, If you guys run out, do come here . We've got plenty more where they came from. WE also have skunks!