PDA

View Full Version : Navy Arms/Uberti 1873

looseprojectile
11-21-2011, 01:04 PM
One of my favorite concessionaires had a virtually new 44 40 carbine at the gunshow last weekend. Blued receiver, ladder sight and 20" barrel.
I can trade for it. Would love to have it instead of my 27-2 Smith. I am interested in the twist rate of the gun as I have some reservations about getting stuck with a one in thirtyeight twist as some makers sell.
Because of the toggle action there is little chance of loading to higher velocity in a gun such as this to get my Ranch Dog 265 grain RNFP boolit to stabilize in a slow twist.
Been to the Navy Arms site and no joy as to the twist rate.
Anyone measured one of these?

Life is good

square butte
11-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Go the the Cimarron firearms website and scroll down list on the left side of the page to bore groove and twist specs.. Two things listed for 44-40 for your consideration. One says 20" , the other says 36" for rifle. Not sure which will be yours.

looseprojectile
11-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I checked out Cimarron for twist and it would seem to be a one in twenty twist.
I will look at the gun some more and I probably can tell a 1 in 20 from a 1 in 38"
with my naked mark 1 eyeball.
Why do I worry so much?

Life is good

Jon K
11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
looseprojectile,

Your 265gr boolit may be too long to feed thru the brass lifter. Max oal will be 1.595-1.605. The 265 gr seated deep, may also distort the neck/shoulder when seated too deep, causing chambering problems.
Just more food for thought.

Jon