PDA

View Full Version : Crimping shotshells?

doc25
02-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Can you crimp 6 segment shotshells with an 8 segment crimp? Does it make a difference? I noticed that I ended up with a 7 segment crimp when I tried it. How important is the crimp other than having a firm one to not let the shot fall out?

357maximum
02-18-2007, 09:11 PM
will it work ...yes
will it work well...no
will it give ballistically uniform loads...heck no

buy the proper crimp starter....theyre cheap enough not to mess around with inferior ammunition.

what tool you using? If I have an extra for what you are using you can have it.....the crimp is not just very important, it is vital....

krag35
02-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Amen!!!!!!!!!!

doc25
02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm using a Bair single stage press. I also have a lee that has both 6 and 8 segment crimps.

357maximum
02-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm using a Bair single stage press. I also have a lee that has both 6 and 8 segment crimps.

//don't know anything about the bair, but perfectly serviceable ammo can be made with the lee, I did it for years before, I bough my mecs, and still use i both my lees for general hunting loads....use the right crimp, make it tight, and make it right, it is of waaaaaay importance....especially when the mercury drops...

9.3X62AL
02-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Dittoes to the above comments regarding crimp consistency equalling ballistic consistency. The slower the powder speed, the more critical it becomes, too.

doc25
02-20-2007, 07:20 PM
I did some reloads and crimped on the Lee and if I pulled down hard on the "crimp finisher" it buckled the cases. As far as I can tell the Lee does not adjust (maybe I'm wrong here) and I find it weird that I shouldn't bottom out the crimp finisher die as well. I bought some old presses and am new to the shotgun part of reloading. I haven't even put shot or powder into the Lee yet, just used it for crimping.