PDA

View Full Version : Spreading the word

DukeInFlorida
11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
I had Salmon Boy (his name is Chuck) here yesterday, to take a look at the pile of lead/gravel I am selling. He bought it and will be shipping it home.

While he was here, he specifically asked me about BT Sniper's swaging tools.

In a pinch, I was able to set up my 44 mag set (from .40 S&W brass), and run some samples for him, including the cannelure. Needless to say, he was very impressed.

I keep some samples in my range bag, and whenever I am shooting 44 mag, I always make it a point to take the samples out and show others what I am shooting down range. I always get smiles, and nods of appreciation for the cleverness of it all.

I'd recommend that all of you who swage also help spread the word in a similar way. Everyone seems impressed when I show them a 700 grain .500 S&W cast boolit. However, they are blown away when I show them the swaged stuff I shoot. It wouldn't hurt to get some new blood going. It helps CastBoolits.gunloads.com, and the general community at the same time.

I'd expect that we'll hear from Salmon Boy at some point, on this subject.

mold maker
11-20-2011, 08:38 PM
I had Salmon Boy (his name is Chuck) here yesterday, to take a look at the pile of lead/gravel I am selling. He bought it and will be shipping it home.

While he was here, he specifically asked me about BT Sniper's swaging tools.

In a pinch, I was able to set up my 44 mag set (from .40 S&W brass), and run some samples for him, including the cannelure. Needless to say, he was very impressed.

I keep some samples in my range bag, and whenever I am shooting 44 mag, I always make it a point to take the samples out and show others what I am shooting down range. I always get smiles, and nods of appreciation for the cleverness of it all.

I'd recommend that all of you who swage also help spread the word in a similar way. Everyone seems impressed when I show them a 700 grain .500 S&W cast boolit. However, they are blown away when I show them the swaged stuff I shoot. It wouldn't hurt to get some new blood going. It helps CastBoolits.gunloads.com, and the general community at the same time.

I'd expect that we'll hear from Salmon Boy at some point, on this subject.

I do the same thing. I have a small plastic tray with deviders and carry examples of each step and style of 3 dif calibers.
Your sure right about the grins and comments.

Jailer
11-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Yup, I do the same thing. Even some seasoned reloaders and shooters find the swaged bullets pretty neat.

Salmon-boy
11-20-2011, 09:09 PM
My name is Chuck and I am a lurker.. :-)

I have been keeping an eye on the swaging forum and have watched BTSnipers' progress from the beginning.

I admit it, I was entirely impressed when Duke set up the dies and produced jacketed boolits so quickly. The finished product (he gave me a handful) I would have no problem loading up and firing. I just haven't gotten around to it yet thanks to leaves and firewood.

I'm currently using Lee Reloader aluminum frame presses. If I had any stronger presses, I'd definitely order a set of dies.

Thanks to Duke for showing me how well these work. If you've got any sort of cast iron o-frame press and shoot .44, I strongly suggest contacting BTSniper!

alfloyd
11-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I also carry some samples of the bullets I swage in my pocket everywhere. Last week in a NRA Pistol Instructor class, I showed off some of them and about 6 guys want to come over to my house and see how it is done. I always show the 224 slugs I make out of 22 long rifle brass. Some people have seen and done it in the past and want to get back into doing it again.

Keep up the "Show and Tell" to everyone that you think may be interested, you never lnow who will like it and get into swaging.

Lafaun

DukeInFlorida
11-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Salmon Boy, you can always pick up a dirt cheap Rockchucker RCBS press, used, out of eBay.

When I was setting up for my reloading classes, I got a bunch of "O" style presses cheap that way. The Rockchucker press has a bit more leverage than does the simpler "JR" style press, so I'd recommend going that route. Replace pivot pins with grade 8 bolts (get longer bolts, and use the unthreaded section under the head for the pivots), and you'll have no worries.

sargenv
11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
It's funny, whenever I show off one of the 9mm into 40 cal bullets, I can almost see the question mark over their head and a "what the heck is that" look on their face.... usually followed by... that's cool!

mold maker
11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
It's funny, whenever I show off one of the 9mm into 40 cal bullets, I can almost see the question mark over their head and a "what the heck is that" look on their face.... usually followed by... that's cool!

Yes,, the extractor groove :confused: does draw some question. I carry a dummy round to eliminate the confusion.
Most folks say, "And you made these at home?" "Do you sell them?"
The real fun is showing an expanded (fired) round.
When you tell them they are made from free range, lead and brass, it really raises eyebrows.[smilie=w:

GRUMPA
11-21-2011, 12:13 PM
When I'm out and about selling stuff very few ever ask me what those things are that I have on display. Where I am the entire population for 50mi radius would in all likelihood fit in one city block.

There are some reloaders out here, but the ones I know of I could count on one hand. Let's not bring up shooting ranges because folk just step out the front door in there birthday suites and start shooting and nobody gives a rip.

The ones that do inquire about the 40's to 45's are just curious and comment on how it's a neat idea, but that's the extent of the conversation.

People here are for the most part very lazy and don't put alot of effort in much. I got some of the younger crowd that seem to be interested in the reloading, but as far as me teaching them how it's never happened yet.

Utah Shooter
11-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Seems everytime I have the oprotunity to show projectiles made from my Corbin dies about half are interested and out of those half none have actually wanted to produce projectiles themselves. Just interested.

DukeInFlorida
11-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Those who aren't especially enthusiastic are just "sunny day" reloaders, and not especially serious.

I've gotten TWO people seriously interested. One already has some swaging die sets (.40 and .224), and I predict swaging die in the immediate future for the other fellow.

Swaging is very much like casting. It's why I started the annual Cast Bullet Workshop here in my area:
2011 workshop thread (http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/119880-2011-Annual-Cast-Bullet-Workshop-May-21st-2011-Shirley-Rod-amp-Gun-Club)

Have done one since 2009. I'm guessing several dozen avid casters have blossomed from the effort. Some of them VERY serious.

Seems everytime I have the oprotunity to show projectiles made from my Corbin dies about half are interested and out of those half none have actually wanted to produce projectiles themselves. Just interested.

Utah Shooter
11-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Those who aren't especially enthusiastic are just "sunny day" reloaders, and not especially serious.

Well most of the guys I show them to I see every Sunday or on Tuesday if I do not have to work. I know all of them by name as they do I. They shoot probably 20 times more projectiles in a year than I do.

I really feel that they do not get it for the most part. Yeah they have all heard of swaging but do not see the accuracy that they expect out of match grade ammo. Why that is I do not know.

Let it be said though that all I do is make projectiles made out of 22lr cases and can get .500 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Not sure why that does not get their fancy but...

I would love to have a friendly competition with someone locally that makes their own projectiles as well.

BT Sniper
11-23-2011, 04:53 PM
I would love to have a friendly competition with someone locally that makes their own projectiles as well.

I was thinking a yearly shoot and get together would be fun too. Maybe somthing like that can be put together in the future.

Heck.... SCL there might be a good central location too??? I think you may have just been nominated to orginize the entire thing :)

BT

GRUMPA
11-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Heck.... SCL there might be a good central location too??? I think you may have just been nominated to orginize the entire thing :)

BT

With the way finances are the best central location would be right in the middle of my 40 acres. [smilie=l:

BT Sniper
11-23-2011, 06:23 PM
We have another volunteer :)

sargenv
11-23-2011, 06:50 PM
I have one friend who I turned onto casting.. he is perfectly happy to cast for his 45 and not get intot he swaging part.. at least for now.. He already reloads, but does so on a progressive. I just to happen to have a single stage that makes swaging possible.. I'd always wanted to get into doing what I do now, but cost and waiting were always keeping me from doing so.. with BT and his "other cartridge into something else" idea and the other gent who offered .22 lr into .224 bullet making dies making things affordable, well, I jumped in with both feet.. My younger friends are all too happy to help me out trying different bullet weights.. they get to shoot em, and I get to figure out what works.. :)

DukeInFlorida
11-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I teach a formal reloading class, and always tell students that they need a single station press, even if they will use a faster progressive. The progressive isn't always practical for low volume specialty reloading. Most serious reloaders I know have progressive or turret presses AND single station presses.

For the sake of my reloading classes (where everyone in the class is making ammo at the same time), my reloading room is all set up with multiple single station presses. Comes in very handy.

I always show reloading students both casting basics as well as some swaged samples.

Jim
11-23-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm glad I don't have to pay your liability premiums.

DukeInFlorida
11-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Insurance is cheap.

Utah Shooter
11-23-2011, 09:56 PM
With the way finances are the best central location would be right in the middle of my 40 acres. [smilie=l:

Yeah I am sure my apt complex may get a nervous if we did it out back here. At least I have one very fine local gent (if you call 60 minute drive local) that I may be able to shoot with.

Az would not be bad. Would love to go hog hunting down there.

I teach a formal reloading class, and always tell students that they need a single station press, even if they will use a faster progressive. The progressive isn't always practical for low volume specialty reloading. Most serious reloaders I know have progressive or turret presses AND single station presses.

For the sake of my reloading classes (where everyone in the class is making ammo at the same time), my reloading room is all set up with multiple single station presses. Comes in very handy.

I always show reloading students both casting basics as well as some swaged samples.

I would agree with the single stage. I occasionally think of buying a progressive but always talk myself out of it because the single stage works fine for me.

BT Sniper
11-24-2011, 12:18 AM
This is where I want to go some day. Any of you Utah natives been there or heard of them. Looks like a lot of fun!

RIFLE GOLF!

http://spiritridgeriflegolf.com/about/

BT

alfloyd
11-24-2011, 01:44 AM
"This is where I want to go some day. Any of you Utah natives been there or heard of them. Looks like a lot of fun!

RIFLE GOLF!

http://spiritridgeriflegolf.com/about/"

BT:
That range is about 25 miles West of my place here in Northern Utah.
Come on down and visit, and we can go out there and do some shooting. I also have a place for you to stay while you are here.
I can also get you into the Utah State owned and ran Hunter Ed Firearm range here in Logan, Utah.
They have all kind of ranges to use.

Hope to here from you.

Lafaun

Utah Shooter
11-24-2011, 02:00 AM
Sounds like fun
At least I have one very fine local gent (if you call 60 minute drive local) that I may be able to shoot with. Lafaun. Still need to get up there and shoot with you. Now that I actually have a job the weekday thing you were talking about is out of the question.

BT Sniper
11-24-2011, 02:00 AM
When the weather gets better I'll take you up on that offer.

I'll be here you know where to find me :)

BT