PDA

View Full Version : Why lanolin

SkookumJeff
11-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Can someone educate me on what lanolin does for a boolit lube? Would lanolin be recommended for a pan lube? Thanks

fryboy
11-20-2011, 06:36 PM
lanolin is much like vaseline but natural , it also imparts some flex and tack to the lube ( it's good stuff IMHO ) this link should help with all the normal main ingredients

http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm

sqlbullet
11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Biggest contribution is tackiness. Helps it stick well. I use mink oil (http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite/us/products/outdoor/campdry-mink-oil.html) instead since I have it around, but you have to be careful. Some mink oil is just that and others are a conglomerate mixture that has some mink oil in it. The Kiwi Camp Dry is mostly actual mink oil, while the Kiwi Outdoor has silicone in it as well. Of course, the Kiwi outdoor also has lanolin in it, so maybe it would work better.

chuckbuster
11-21-2011, 10:00 PM
It is a pretty good high pressure lubricant

cajun shooter
11-22-2011, 09:52 AM
I have used lanolin in my lube mix for my Black Powder guns for years. It will also condition a barrel. It will shoot better also. The best source for pure lanolin is the sites on Amazon. It may be purchased in drug stores but is very expensive and not as pure as that sold for hand and face creams. Later David

Lee W
11-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Another benefit of lanolin is it hinders lead or specifically solder from sticking to anything you are trying to solder eg. circuit boards. Hand lotions exist for manufacturing that do not contain lanolin or silicone just for this reason.

randyrat
11-23-2011, 09:00 PM
I have used lanolin in my lube mix for my Black Powder guns for years. It will also condition a barrel. It will shoot better also. The best source for pure lanolin is the sites on Amazon. It may be purchased in drug stores but is very expensive and not as pure as that sold for hand and face creams. Later David
Best place to buy is right here from me:-D

GP100man
11-23-2011, 09:33 PM
+1 for RandyRat , if ya wanna build your own lube ,HE`s DA MAN !!!

cajun shooter
12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm SORRY ABOUT THAT RANDY AS I WAS NOT AWARE THAT YOU HAD IT FOR SALE.
I have been a customer of Randy's for some years now and he is honest and a great person to buy from.
Randy treats all forum members very well. I don't purchase my BW from anyone else. I purchased over thirty pounds and after becoming ill I had to stop my lube making for a while so I have not done any business to know what he sells.
You will receive my lanolin orders from this day forward sir. Take Care David

randyrat
12-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I remember you David (cajon shooter) yer a repeat costumer. I thank you very much. You've bought a bunch of beeswax from me in the past. Lets all be thankful your back feeling a bit better.

Reload3006
12-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I dont wanna hurt my head how much is a block LOL. I think i want one if you still have them.

quasi
12-10-2011, 07:26 PM
great price for Lanolin= Randy Rat.

hiram1
12-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Lanolin keeps your boolits soft and lovely.you will want to hold there hands there so soft

canyon-ghost
12-10-2011, 08:11 PM
I use (don't laugh, please) Alberto VO 5 as a case lube. It works great and contains Lanolin. For $4 you can see the way lanolin, even in a small percentage rate, works.
The full name of the stuff is Alberto VO 5 hairdressing gel, in the gold tube.

It works but, it does have a lot of parfum (I take it that's the smelly stuff). Granted, the smell is horrific but, it would show you why it works. Slickest stuff you've never gotten off your hands!

Good Luck,
Ron

shotman
12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
It makes your balls soft and slick works on old pellets too

John Boy
12-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Can someone educate me on what lanolin does for a boolit lube? It is a natural wax and has a long chain of esters ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

randyrat
12-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Comes from SHEEP WOOL, it's naturally in their wool. long chain,blends well, gives your bullets STICK, works as a natural bullet lube.:holysheep