PDA

View Full Version : full length mag tube?

grubbylabs
11-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I have a new marlin 45/70 with a 22" barrel and I was wondering if I can get a full length mag tube for it?

btroj
11-20-2011, 02:24 PM
How many rounds do you need?
I prefer the look of the half magazine of the Marlin 1895. Must be a personal thing.

I am sure someone, somewhere can tell you where to find what you need.

lbaize3
11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Go to http://www.brownells.com/

That is where I got my mag tube to extend mag capacity in my 32-20.

W.R.Buchanan
11-20-2011, 02:58 PM
You definately need a mag tube for a .45-70 as there is a big bulge blown into the tube to facilitate rounds being loaded into it at an angle.

If your gun is blued then one from an 1895 Cowboy would be the ticket.

Only other thing you have to consider is how the tube is supported. The 26" barrel versions have a dovetail in the botom of the barrel and a little stud goes in there. The other method for Carbines and short mag rifles uses a barrel band. You can't really use the barrel band on a longer mag tube as the end of the tube would just be flopping around loose as it is only supported out to the end of the forearm. You need the rifle method of supporting the tube.

then just cut to length.

Randy.

grubbylabs
11-20-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't really care about capacity as I have pockets that are convenient for having more rounds on hands. I just think the gun looks goofy with the short tube.

btroj
11-20-2011, 04:16 PM
I have mixed feeling on the long tube. Might sound funny but I like the full length tube on a non tapered octagon barrel but prefer the shorter tube on a tapered round barrel.

W.R.Buchanan
11-22-2011, 11:50 PM
btroj: Not funny at all, just the way you see it. You have probably noticed that there is about 15 different configurations of these guns. That's because different people have different ideas of what looks good to them, and what works best for them.

As a result they made just about every combination imaginable.

All have their place, and there is an **** for every seat.

Randy

Catshooter
11-25-2011, 07:56 PM
grubby,

Friend of mine agreed with you (and so do I). He purchased a long tube right from Marlin and had a gunsmith fit it up. I really like the looks. So much so that I also got a long tube for my '95. I haven't yet installed it but I sure like the way it changes the looks of the rifle.

Cat

grubbylabs
11-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Brownells has them for under 40 bucks so as soon as I can get a few spare dollars and nail down a quality smith I am going to have it done. I think it is a much better looking rifle with a full length tube.

grubbylabs
11-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Well I took the plunge and dropped my rifle of with a smith tonight and he said I should have it back in about 3 weeks. I really hope it is all I am hoping it will be.

W.R.Buchanan
11-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Hope to see pics of the finished gun?

Randy

grubbylabs
12-01-2011, 01:13 AM
As soon as I have the gun you will all have pics

Four Fingers of Death
12-02-2011, 07:23 AM
One thing I have learnt is to trim excess off the front of the tube as the bulge as mentioned previously is most important. Unless you are using the gun for cowboy action/Pat Garrett matches, the standard mag tube should be good enough for hunting. I have a 444 with the shorter mag tube and I would love to have the look of the full mag, but in reality, by the timeI've emptied the short mag with those big crackers, I'm cross eyed and punch drunk, lol.

grubbylabs
12-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Having the longer tube will serve two purposes, one and most important to me is it will make the gun look better. Second is it will add increased utility to the gun as it will have more capacity. I carry this gun mostly in heavy wooded areas that are packed full of wolves. I hunt just outside of Yellow Stone Park. We have many wolves and I have heard some credible reports of people being stalked by wolves. We also have grizzly in abundance. I don't want to be short on ammo when one of those critters show up either.

My smith is ordering the tube and the spring for the cowboy model. He said he is going to cut a dove tail in the barrel and mount it with the dove tail.

Four Fingers of Death
12-03-2011, 05:09 AM
My smith is ordering the tube and the spring for the cowboy model. He said he is going to cut a dove tail in the barrel and mount it with the dove tail.

That should work out well.

John Taylor
12-04-2011, 10:44 AM
One of the things that causes accuracy troubles with a lever gun is the mag tube. Had a friend take an old 94 that shot so-so and cut the mag down to two shot length, he say s it will now shoot under 1" at 100 yards. Personally I like the long mags.

Hardcast416taylor
12-04-2011, 02:00 PM
I don`t think there was a sexier lever gun made than the old Winchester Model 64 with half tube.Robert

TXGunNut
12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Guess that's one reason I like the Guide Gun, mag length matches the barrel. 3/4 length mag tubes have never bothered me but then again I don't own any. I see your point about ammo capacity near Yellowstone, nothing around here as dangerous as a pack of wolves or a cranky griz. Hope it doesn't affect your accuracy, even a barrel that stiff could experience a change in harmonics. POI will likely change, may need to adjust the load as well.

grubbylabs
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
I have not don my load development yet so I won't have to start over.

grubbylabs
12-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Well I got the rifle back on Tuesday before Christmas, I left town early the next morning. I did get a chance to shoot it but I have not had a chance to do pics yet. I will post them when I get home.

So far it shoots great. I loaded up some JSPs from Hornady before I was able to order my Accurate mold. They shot just fine. So now I will have to work up some loads for my cast boolits.

grubbylabs
12-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Well as promised here are the picks

MakeMineA10mm
12-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Wow Grubby! That is NICE!!!

I'm going to have to do this to my 444. I can't stand the 3/4 tube in there...

W.R.Buchanan
12-29-2011, 10:10 PM
OK,,,you done good ! That gun looks right !

And guys here is a perfect example of what Marlins are ideally suited for,,, That is, "Modification" into something was never offered.

It didn't cost him an arm and a leg to do, and now he has a custom gun that nobody else has.

Well done sir!

Randy

Four Fingers of Death
12-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Looks wayyyyyyyyyyyy better thatn the 3/4 mag! I don't know that I need more than 5-6 shots when hunting with my 444. It would mean I could use it in Pat Garrett matches I suppose.

grubbylabs
12-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks fellas. I was indeed pleased with how in expensive it was to do, and I really do like the looks of it most of all. It did increase the utility of it as well. I don't really need the extra capacity, as I have pockets and what not. But since I am prone to hunt in wolf and bear country it is nice to have it. It took a little longer than I wanted but he did say right up front that it was not a priority to him since he had other larger projects he was behind on. But I was happy to wait since it turned out so well.