PDA

View Full Version : Handloading Hornady FTX in 444

Jeffrey
11-20-2011, 01:11 PM
I recently purchased a CVA 444 Marlin and am wanting to reload Hornady LEVERevolution Bullets 265 Grain FTX. The data provided by Hornady specifies cutting the case down to 2.065 to maintain COAL to fit in lever guns. Using them in a single shot should allow me to load them in a full length case, assuming sufficient throat length. A max load in a full length case (properly worked up) should reduce chamber pressure, increasing safety factor. Anybody have any experience reloading this bullet in a single shot?
Thanks, Jeffrey

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Just an Ol'Coot's opinion, but forget the Hornady FTX and go with a good cast boolit with a wide flat meplat.

Lots of cast boolit hunter here or under the .444 heading on the Marlin Owner forum.

Good cast boolits available commercially if you don't cast or know someone who does.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

tacklebury
11-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Yep, loaded them up in my .45-70 Buffalo Classic H&R. Loaded them in std. Starline cases until about .002 off the rifling. Shot .875" c-c groups at 100 yards. Be careful of them on deer as there have been some explosive and inconsistent expansion issues with them. I had some that de-jacketed and some that didn't expand. Others have had different luck, so test and see. ;)

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-20-2011, 08:26 PM
That is just more reasons to forget the "J" bullets!!!!!!!!!!!!

CDOC

Jeffrey
11-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I like boolits. Smelt' em, pour 'em, load 'em, put them through an animal's vitals for a clean humane kill. Personal. Almost like archery.. Using my energy to take its life.
A friend wants maximum performance, thus the need for FTX. I would be perfectly happy with a 260gr round nose for a slight increase in BC. Can't seem to find a mould. Who does not want something just a little better? Cast soft points are not beyond my abilities.
Appreciate the input. Keep it coming.
Jeffrey

tacklebury
11-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Personally, for j-bullets, my goto in .45-70 is the 350 gr. FP Hornady interlock:

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/tacklebury/4570govhornady350grfpinterlock.jpg

You might consider:

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Cal-.430-265-gr-FP/