PDA

View Full Version : 12+ hour Turkey

DCM
11-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Simple but juicy and tender turkey.
Place turkey upside down in DEEP pan with approx. 17 oz(1 bottle) of olive oil.
Seal tightly with lid or foil.
Place in 275 degree oven for 4 hours then flip bird over and replace cover.
Let bird cook for 8+ hours more.
Remove Turkey from oven remove bones from turkey, It will fall off the bones.
Serve or place back in pan with juices till other food is ready.
Larger birds obviously may require more time, this was based on the average bird.

nanuk
11-20-2011, 07:23 PM
what do you mean by upside down?

do you stand it on it's neck/breast, with the tail straight up?

DCM
11-20-2011, 08:29 PM
what do you mean by upside down?

do you stand it on it's neck/breast, with the tail straight up?

Not with the tail up. The idea is to spend some time cooking the turkey on each side rather than the conventional one side only.

I should have added that I prefer to let it spend most of the time with the breast meat at the bottom of the pan as this helps to keep it much more moist than normal methods.

If sealed well the turkey comes out VERY tender and moist without basting.

selmerfan
11-25-2011, 09:18 PM
With an entire bottle of EVOO I would HOPE that it's moist!

pmeisel
11-25-2011, 10:44 PM
My daughter did something similar -- 1 hour at 350 then 12 hours at 200, all dark meat up, then flip it for 3 hours, still at 200. My sons swear it was excellent, unfortunately I was too far away to sample personally.....

skeettx
11-25-2011, 11:21 PM
ONE hour
2 Gallons of Peanut oil
Electric Flyer

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN01502.JPG

Mike

frankenfab
11-27-2011, 06:40 PM
ONE hour
2 Gallons of Peanut oil
Electric Flyer

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN01502.JPG

Mike

I haven't messed with frying a turkey the last couple of years, but I think it is the best way to cook one. The last 2 times I fried one, it was up against a baked bird, and the fried was more popular, hands down.

SciFiJim
11-27-2011, 06:48 PM
My wife does something similar. Instead of the olive oil, she adds a can of chicken broth. Cook it the entire time with the breast down. With the fat that is already on commercial birds, there is not a need to add more. After is is cooked, you have to pick it apart in the pan because it will fall apart if you try to lift it. Make sure it it tightly sealed with foil while cooking or it will be dry.
We poured off and measured the broth after cooking. The one 15oz can of broth turned into three quarts. Essentially, we are boiling it in its own juices until tender.