View Full Version : Taurus hatred beware

Coltpax
11-20-2011, 03:55 AM
I love my PT99 AF. it's even an old model without a silly decocker

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo328/coltpax/4405b4c3-1.jpg

Jim
11-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Beware? Of what?

After what I just went through with a Taurus, I've got about as much use for one as brakes on a boat. I'm not the least bit concerned about somebody disaggreeing with me. My issue is with Taurus, not Taurus owners.

Lloyd Smale
11-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Im a tarus basher for sure. Ive had to many run arounds with there service dept over there junk but i did buy a stainless pt99 because it was like new and my buddy who owns a gunshop gave it to me for 200 bucks to get it out of the shop. I have to say that that one is reliable. I put about 500 rounds of cast handloads through it and a couple boxes of jacketed and it never missed a beat. I ended up giving it to my son in law just to get it out of the house before something broke and i had to use there wonderful customer service again though ;)

Finster101
11-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Good for you. I know that there are quite a few uf us who will never bid against you on one.

Guesser
11-20-2011, 12:13 PM
I have never owned a Taurus semi auto, but when I start looking around for a used gun, get the urge ever so often; I look for used Colt revolvers first and then Taurus. After that I usually quit looking at that particular location and move to another display. I have never had a Taurus failure and Taurus CS has been prompt, courteous and knowledgeable every time I've called them. GO FIGURE!!!!!!!!

DeanWinchester
11-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I know several people who've had major issues with both the guns and the service. Coupled with the reports from [established/trusted] forum members put Taurus in a really bad light for me. I have one Taurus, it's a PT145 that my wife (she was my girlfriend at the time) bought me ten years ago. It's never had what I call a failure. It has failed to fire a few timed when I was shooting some 1942 US surplus. That's acceptable. One of the plastic frame pins broke and half of it started creeping out after well over 4-5K rounds through it. I did NOT send it back, I turned me a new pin from S7 (break that one by god!!!) and kept on going. I love the little gun and if it never fires again it's still not for sale at any price.

Saying that, I have talked myself out of ever buying a new Taurus. Sad because I really like the 24/7 pistols, and they have some cool stuff coming out. They have a 28g revolver coming out! Imagine a paradox revolver in 28g!!!

Jim
11-20-2011, 12:33 PM
A member here(who shall remain unnamed) told me a story about a Taurus pistol that was sent back. The slide was shaving the track on the polymer frame. Taurus told the owner that these types of pistols were never intended to be fire that much!

That's about like telling me my truck was never intended to be driven more than 50,000 miles!

tek4260
11-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I have never had a Taurus failure and Taurus CS has been prompt, courteous and knowledgeable every time I've called them.

Why call CS if you didn't have a failure??:twisted:

BBGun
11-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Guys.
I'm new to this forum. Guesser suggested I look this sight over.
Looks like place to learn a lot. I am just getting into reloading and need all the help I can get.
As far as Taurus, I own a PT745. For any of you that don't know that's a PT 145 with a single stack. I'm from California and couldn't get the stacked mag 145. Not on the CA approved list.
Any way I have several guns but this is my first Taurus.
I have over 1000 rounds through it. Never had a single glitch. Accuracy is better than I am. I love this gun!
I have heard that the service is a problem, but have also heard the opposit. I think What ever gun you have, there will be some problem at some point. The problem is you never hear anything when there are no problems, only when there is a problem. My point is all you hear is the bad not the good. JMHO
Anyway, glad to be here.

BBGun
11-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Why call CS if you didn't have a failure??:twisted:

Haven't you ever called your mfg for info on a product?
I'm just sayin':p

Guesser
11-20-2011, 03:40 PM
tek4260:
I have questions on any "used" gun that I buy. I have called Ruger, Colt, S&W, Charter Arms and Taurus, probably other importers as well. I know I've talked to Browning and the SKB/Moroku/ Charles Daly importer, as well as Interarms. The only one I ever had a problem with was Ruger and that took 9 months to resolve. You don't think I should call????

Coltpax
11-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Yea stupid title name, my iPhone changed what I had put. Couple that with my horrible late night spelling and you have the title above.

But, I don't see all the hate for the tauri. Unless it's a plastic gun, in which case I hate any of them. I just figured I'd stir the pot so to speak, see who likes their tauri and who hates the company. I've never had to deal with CS though, as no Taurus I've had my hands on has given me problems.

I'm willing to wager that CS depends on who answers the phone that day. They have two service reps, happy Edna and angry Olga. :-)

I also believe a Lorcin makes a good self defense pistol, seeing as how you can throw one and knock out mike Tyson.

shovel80
11-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I bought a Used Taurus 92 AF about 11 years ago...have put 1000's of rounds through it!..Almost Never jams!.....But, had to change the barrel a couple thousand rounds ago...In a match, in a hurry, had a squib...and fired another round through it....never new it happened till I was cleaning it one day...and saw a slight bulge in the barrel!...It's got a new Bar-Sto Stainless on it now for thousands of rounds and still Almost Never misses a beat!!

Terry

Ranch Dog
11-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Love them. Own a bunch and have dealt with Customer Service. With a lifetime warranty I suspect I will shoot them throughout the remainder of my life.

Semi-autos:
25PLY (25 ACP)
732B (32 ACP)
738B (380 Auto)
PT132 (32 ACP)
PT138 (380 Auto)
PT111 (9mm Luger)
PT745 (45 ACP)
PT945 (45 ACP)

Revolvers:
605 (357 Mag )
415 (41 Mag)
M44C (44 Mag)
450 (45 Colt)

Yeah, guess you could say I like them!

Sent from my deer blind with my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Coltpax
11-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Love them. Own a bunch and have dealt with Customer Service. With a lifetime warranty I suspect I will shoot them throughout the remainder of my life.

Semi-autos:
25PLY (25 ACP)
732B (32 ACP)
738B (380 Auto)
PT132 (32 ACP)
PT138 (380 Auto)
PT111 (9mm Luger)
PT745 (45 ACP)
PT945 (45 ACP)

Revolvers:
605 (357 Mag )
415 (41 Mag)
M44C (44 Mag)
450 (45 Colt)

Yeah, guess you could say I like them!

Sent from my deer blind with my DROIDX using Tapatalk

How are you liking that .25 PLY? I've been considering one in .22 for snakes around the yard and something light when I'm walking the dog.

sqlbullet
11-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I had one over a decade ago. Don't remember the model...PT100 maybe. 40 S&W open slide model with ergonomics like the Beretta 92/96. It had a couple of virtues IMHO. Ability to carry cocked and locked being high on the list.

It had to go to pay some bills. And, I love my 10mm's but am tired of chasing brass so my next several guns will probably be Rugers. Specifically I have been on the lookout for a security six and a 45 Colt Redhawk.

But, Taurus does have the new 405 out, and the cylinder is long enough to be easily reamed for 10mm auto. That may be interesting.

NickSS
11-21-2011, 07:46 AM
I have 5 Taurus revolvers and 4 Semi auto pstols. I have owned others as well that I traded for one reason or another. I have had issues with only one Taurus hand gun and it is the latest one I bought. It is a Tracker in 22RF/22 Mag and when I got it it had an issue with the cylinder locking bolt not always locking up. I called Taurus CS and they emailed me a prepaid shipping form and I sent the revolver to them the day I got the form. Two days later I got an email from them saying they had my gun and it would take one to two weeks to fix it. A week later I got an email saying my gun was on its way back. I also got a phone call from Fed Ex saying that my package would be delivered the next day in the afternoon. As 1:30 PM it was delivered fixed to my satisfaction. Since then I have put over 2000 rounds through it with zero problems. I love the 9 shot cylinder as it gives me the firepower of most semi autos and I have no brass to clean up after shooting.

white eagle
11-21-2011, 09:49 AM
I,we have the same as Nick
never a problem
nice gun

Ranch Dog
11-21-2011, 10:25 AM
How are you liking that .25 PLY? I've been considering one in .22 for snakes around the yard and something light when I'm walking the dog.

Love it! Know a couple of fellows with them and they all feel the same. Even have s new bullet for it, a TL256-50-RF.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

scrapcan
11-21-2011, 11:55 AM
would any of you folks like to buy a M94 22lr, 4inch, blued model? I will sell it for what I have in it less shipping to Florida twice. It is as new condition and within spec according to Taurus USA. I will even put the broken springs back in it that allowed it to be within spec.

Or one of you guys with an in with CS can get me the new springs I would be grateful. I have been trying to get them since I have owned this thing. I am always told they are out of stock. I am using small frame 38 springs at the moment hoping that some day the real springs will show up so I can sell it with a clear conscious.

Like Jim, I will not let my thoughts be pushed off on those who have had good luck, I just don't happen to be one of them.

lead-1
11-22-2011, 03:13 AM
I, myself have had decent luck with Taurus handguns with ones that worked great for me being a PT-22, PT-99AF, PT-945, Model 82, Model 431 and a Model 941.
On the other hand I had a Model 65 and 66 that there wasn't necessarily anything wrong with them but I couldn't hit the ground with them if I dropped them.
I almost bought a Model 990 and a 94 but am glad I googled first as I haven't read much good about them and that include problems on here. A dealer close by had to send back 4 semi-autos because the mags wouldn't release and two that just plain wouldn't cycle, the other day I stopped by there and there was a 990 waiting to go back. When the trigger was pulled the gun clicked and the cylinder turned but the hammer didn't function, if you cocked the hammer then the cylinder would free wheel and not lock up, glad I didn't buy one.

NoZombies
11-22-2011, 04:47 PM
would any of you folks like to buy a M94 22lr, 4inch, blued model? I will sell it for what I have in it less shipping to Florida twice. It is as new condition and within spec according to Taurus USA. I will even put the broken springs back in it that allowed it to be within spec.

Or one of you guys with an in with CS can get me the new springs I would be grateful. I have been trying to get them since I have owned this thing. I am always told they are out of stock. I am using small frame 38 springs at the moment hoping that some day the real springs will show up so I can sell it with a clear conscious.

Like Jim, I will not let my thoughts be pushed off on those who have had good luck, I just don't happen to be one of them.

Send me a PM, someplace I have a new set of stock springs. If I can find them, they're yours.

waco
11-22-2011, 09:01 PM
I've had a Tauras Tracker in .357 for well over a decade.
sweet shooter, zero problems.
my money situation is much better now than it was then, so i'll stick to Rugers and Smiths from now on.
only because I've heard too many bad things about there newer stuff.
just my 2 cents.

gandydancer
11-22-2011, 09:11 PM
A member here(who shall remain unnamed) told me a story about a Taurus pistol that was sent back. The slide was shaving the track on the polymer frame. Taurus told the owner that these types of pistols were never intended to be fire that much!

That's about like telling me my truck was never intended to be driven more than 50,000 miles!
or buying a Boat and told not to get it wet. How is that spelled? TOREAXX? Said it before will say it again. Never owned one. never will GD

TCLouis
11-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Guy I know has a 431 44 SPL and though he has only shot a few hundred rounds thru it, he says it would likely be very effective if need should occur in a social occasion.