PDA

View Full Version : Sizing 308 FMJ Pulls??

mstarling
11-20-2011, 02:21 AM
What's the right approach for sizing pulled .308 FMJ bullets that may have been slightly deformed in the pulling process???

I've got about 800 of them to do. Am reticent to shoot them without redoing them.

Have a Corbin swaging press and a large heavy duty 30 ton hydraulic press that could also be used.

Anyone have suggestions as to the tooling I should make to do this job?

bruce drake
11-20-2011, 03:05 AM
get a LEE .308 sizing die and some 10W30 oil and put the bullets into an oil bath and then push them through the die with your press. I've resized Russian .310 bullets to .308 this way multiple times and they shoot fine. Getting your .308 bullets back into round should be even easier.

Bruce

mstarling
11-20-2011, 09:41 AM
So the Lee sizing die is a push through ... bottom to top (so the presses leverage is used)?

Should be easy and a flat base punch should handle all projectile shapes. Interesting! Thank you.

akajun
11-20-2011, 10:42 AM
LOad them and shoot them, re sizing them will not make a difference, they are ball ammo, not matchkings. IF it really concerns you use a lee factory crimp die.

mstarling
11-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Don't want to damage a barrel or a suppressor because something didn't stabilize properly, so am going to run them through a sizing die.

Wouldn't bother if I was going to blast them through an M60.

Larry Gibson
11-20-2011, 05:24 PM
As mentioned, sizing them first will not make any difference. They will be sized in the 1st bearing length in the bore. Sizing first will also have nothing to do with any potenial barrel damage or stabilization. Size them if it makes you feel good but it's a waste of time.

Larry Gibson

Jim
11-20-2011, 05:35 PM
I have to agree with Larry. I've shot these pulled milsurp bullets and resizing them is not going to make them any better than the way you bought them.

MIBULLETS
11-21-2011, 08:25 PM
For the price of the Lee sizing die, I think you should size them. You will get best accuracy from them if you do. They may shoot just fine without, but if the bullet nose doesn't enter the barrel you can't expect much for accuracy. Just my 2 cents.

Reload3006
11-25-2011, 06:20 PM
if you have a Corbin press do you have Corbin .308 point form dies? if so that would be the best way to re-size them. But you should remember that lead wants to stay the same and copper wants to spring back. running them through a Lee sizer would be the cheapest and easiest but It could (I said COULD not Would) cause you loose core issues. I agree with everyone else your gun barrel will re-size them just fine. If they have stabilization issues it will happen way past your bore.