PDA

View Full Version : Young Shooter

Freightman
11-19-2011, 06:08 PM
I went to the range this morning, there was a man and his 10 year old shooting there 22's. I was shooting my Shiloh 45/70 with some medium loads. The boy kept eying the big rifle it is a Long Range Express weighs 12# or so, I ask his dad would the son like to shoot the Shiloh, well the son jumped on it. You have heard Master Card for purchases this priceless. Well when we got him set up and showed him how to shoot it, he pulled the trigger and the smile on his face was "Priceless, he was still smiling when they left. His dad said "you are about to cost me some serious money I am afraid" I feel good today, and had a good range session. Does an old man good to make someone happy.

EDG
11-19-2011, 08:29 PM
You should have told the kid to watch Quigley on youtube.

runfiverun
11-19-2011, 10:33 PM
his dad woulda stalked you down for that^^^.
i like to watch the kids shoot the big guns, especially when they are loaded so they can handle them.

tacklebury
11-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Love it, good for you to take the time to let him try it. ;)

John Taylor
11-20-2011, 11:26 AM
When my daughter was about 9 years old I let her shoot a 54 cal muzzle loader in a competition with other kids. She had only shot a BB gun up to then. I loaded it light and she took second place shooting against kid with experience. Made her day. She still smile at the memory over twenty years later.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Way to go Freightman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super in fact!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

bigted
11-23-2011, 12:29 PM
whatever that kid does now will always have to be compared to this introduction to a very homey style of good times...good for you sir and may your goodness with this kid come back to you in many ways. his dad also is doing a righteous thing with his son...many good memories are developed at the shooting range for young folks...n ol ones too!!!

thanks for helping to keep this shooting sport alive.

451 Pete
11-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Freightman,
You did it right. Instead of saying, " He's just a small one." and passin him by, you saw the opportunity then set the hook gently and reeled him in. The seed you plant today, you know? Very good.

Take care ... Pete

Throckmorton
11-24-2011, 03:12 AM
ain't it fun !!! ??? I too take kids shooting,and offer my guns to any kid that gives me 'that look'.
oh yes, I also let adults shoot my guns if they give me 'that look' . LOL

redneckdan
11-24-2011, 12:50 PM
his dad woulda stalked you down for that^^^.
i like to watch the kids shoot the big guns, especially when they are loaded so they can handle them.

Yup, i always make sure to have a few trail boss loads along for my H&H