PDA

View Full Version : Ww iii

44man
11-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Guns going off all day today in every direction. Mon is opening day and I had 5 people here to sight in too.
I did some shooting with the JRH and did pretty good. My friends shot it and liked it.
I took my ground board to the neighbors and put it against the big rock face I use. I walked around and it looks like a cattle yard, never seen so many deep worn trails. I don't think I went 20 yards in any direction without buck scrapes and torn trees. One has to be very young or very big before I shoot one though, I am after doe meat.
This will be a shooting hunt, no real hunting needed.
I will see what the .500 JRH does to them.:drinks:

Hardcast416taylor
11-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Our opener was last Tues. the 15th. It is projected that there will be 600,000 + hunters out in the field over the course of our season.Robert

jh45gun
11-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Hunted until 11 seen no deer no one in our group did. came home through two small towns and the small city I live in and did not see one deer in any cars or trucks or trailers. Only heard two shots this morning and they were far away. Slowest WI opener I have experienced in 47 years of hunting. Bow season started the middle of Sept I can count the deer I have seen since then on my fingers have have fingers left over. The DNR should issue more unlimited doe permits :(

saz
11-20-2011, 02:02 AM
Good luck to ya! I'm curious as to how the JRH will do- very well I'm sure.

44man
11-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks, I will post. It seems the season was jump started last night. I was out with the dogs and heard a rifle the other side of town at 10:30. :groner:
The amount of deer shot with guns during archery season could not be counted either.
Nobody cares much, too many deer.
jh45gun, do you have wolves and coyotes there? Or a bad winter kill?

Whitworth
11-20-2011, 10:52 AM

I used mine last year with the same bullet/load and it worked well -- as expected!

44man
11-20-2011, 11:31 AM
I used mine last year with the same bullet/load and it worked well -- as expected!
When are you coming to hunt? I will be out by myself in the morning.
How did you do on your hunt?

Silver Jack Hammer
11-20-2011, 01:06 PM
I am envious, and ashamed to say I lower myself to using a rifle. In open country these stinking deer are so fast and the shots are so long range there is no way I could use a handgun. Two young family members are being raised to carry on the sport and got to see deer taken, they were standing right there when I got my 3 point. My son got to take some shots, all pretty tough shots so he missed but really had a great hunt first year armed. How I wish I was handgun hunting.

44man
11-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I am envious, and ashamed to say I lower myself to using a rifle. In open country these stinking deer are so fast and the shots are so long range there is no way I could use a handgun. Two young family members are being raised to carry on the sport and got to see deer taken, they were standing right there when I got my 3 point. My son got to take some shots, all pretty tough shots so he missed but really had a great hunt first year armed. How I wish I was handgun hunting.
You do not lower yourself where you can't get close. Don't feel that way. You need to have archery conditions for the revolver and if you can't get animals close, you have no choice.
I wish you and your son luck. I do wish you had conditions to use the revolver, it is fun. If you need a rifle, then you need a rifle

btroj
11-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Well said 44 man. Too many hunters feel that only their way is "pure" or proper.
I am all for about any method that gets people out in the field. The property I hunt has handgun areas and rifle areas. What i use is largely determined by where I plan to hunt at that moment.

subsonic
11-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Good luck! We are done for modern firearms (back to work!), but m/l season is the week before x-mas.

saz
11-20-2011, 10:17 PM

Don't ever feel bad about that. It is about the hunt and getting some meat in the freezers. I hunted all year with my 35 whelen because my freezers are about dry- have about 40 lbs of fish and maybe 5 lbs of deer/moose/caribou. Wasn't going to risk not being able to take a shot by limiting myself with my choice of firearm. After there is something butchered, then the handguns and muzzleloaders come out. I tell my buddies all the time, "freezer first".

white eagle
11-21-2011, 10:00 AM
I am quitting hunting
place I own has a gd tailor park across the street and the deer have left
went out openeing weekend didn't see 1 stinking deer
the hell with it

white eagle
11-21-2011, 06:46 PM
after perfect boolit

Frank
11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
44man:

You need to have archery conditions for the revolver and if you can't get animals close, you have no choice.
Do people hunt with archery at 100 yards? :confused: I thought 6" at 100 yds was do able with a revolver. Whitworth shoots water bottles at 100 yards. Now we're back to bow and arrow distance? Are you kidding? We need to hear more from jwp475 and his 200 yd kill. Even old Elmer wasn't afraid to take a shot at 600 yds.

44man
11-22-2011, 04:44 PM
44man:

Do people hunt with archery at 100 yards? :confused: I thought 6" at 100 yds was do able with a revolver. Whitworth shoots water bottles at 100 yards. Now we're back to bow and arrow distance? Are you kidding? We need to hear more from jwp475 and his 200 yd kill. Even old Elmer wasn't afraid to take a shot at 600 yds.
Still, no matter what, closer is better and a shot that can be done with a bow will always be ideal. We don't go out and shoot at long range animals just to do it. My limit is 100 yards but all must be perfect and if there is any shake, I don't shoot. The older I get the shorter the distance unless I can get steady. I find I need a knee or both anymore.
I will not promote long range shooting in any case and a 20 yard shot is so much better. Even we need a ton of practice before season but you still need a gun and load that is accurate.
Let's look at Elmer. He knew his guns and had a front sight with cross marks but at 600, he had a LOT of barrel above the rear. He only did it to try and stop a wounded animal, he did not hunt like that. He also had to walk shots into the animal from hits spotted.
You really have to look at a deer at 100 yards to understand, they are SMALL and it's like shooting bottle caps at 50 yards off hand.
I believe Elmer was shooting at an Elk that was hit with a rifle, very large animal.
You just don't do it unless you can and this year I can't.
Anyone that shoots at game at 200 yards with a revolver has several problems. First is ethics, next is little steps to pace distance by just walking it off. ( I trained myself to take 3' paces when measuring and will be a foot or so off at 100.) Walking downhill, then up to double distance is a good one too. Do you know how many steps it takes to climb a steep hill or mountain? Walking out around dead falls, thickets and brush also adds a lot of distance. FALSE DISTANCE!
Yes I do shoot to 500 meters (547 yards) for fun with revolvers but that is not hunting---so give me 20 or 30 yards every time.
Did you know a .44 drops around 35 inches at 200 yards? If you want to hit at 200, you need the scope set for it, you need a rest. Then the boolit will have slowed so much, there is no energy left.

44man
11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
heres my take on it and its a bit confusing. I got the theroy of bore seasoning from john linebaugh and he knows a bit more about handguns then most of us. He claims a gun wont start shooting its best groups until you get at least 50 or so rounds through it and if you switch lubes you need to start over. Now back in the day i tested that theroy on a couple guns. I took them with there best loads and proceded to shoot lots of groups. Those two guns did respond better to more rounds. It wasnt a big differnce but there was an improvement. I was sold. Well so i thought. I remember a couple years ago when this same post was done i kind of got into an argument with 44man about it. I again tried it. this time with three differnt guns (none of the original two) What i got was one that improved one that for all practical purposes stayed the same and one that go worse. Go figure. Bottom line was that none of the results were so drastic as to really say either way. I do know that you wont find many competitive black powder shooters who will shoot a match with a clean barrel and i do know for a fact that many or should i say most of my guns will shoot fliers for the first couple shots until they get a bit of fouling in them. Either that or im a poor shooter on the first couple shots!! Would i insist that seasoning helps accuracy. No would i say it didnt No. I think it depends more on each individual gun then making a blanket statement either way. Onlly thing i will say is John does know more then me and he doesnt have one iota of bs in him and if he says something you can usually take it to the bank.
John is only talking about what I was. He knows. Get rid of oils first. Then get fouling even with a proper lube to keep it so the next shot removes ALL of it without a buildup. Carbon after a shot should never continue to get thicker. That is as bad as leading the bore.
Seasoning is just the wrong word and should only be for a cast iron pan where more carbon is better so food will not stick. The wife will ruin that in an instant with dish soap and a scrubby! [smilie=1:
Even conditions for each shot would be a better way to describe it.
You can NOT season a bore. You can balance it.
You CAN fill the bore with ash from crummy lube or powder ash but accuracy will be elsewhere. If you start to run over junk with a boolit it is hopeless. That junk increases friction too, the more you try to push out the worse it gets.

Lloyd Smale
11-23-2011, 06:29 AM
sorry pal i post this in the wrong thread. i moved it to your seasoning thread you might want to move your reply too.
John is only talking about what I was. He knows. Get rid of oils first. Then get fouling even with a proper lube to keep it so the next shot removes ALL of it without a buildup. Carbon after a shot should never continue to get thicker. That is as bad as leading the bore.
Seasoning is just the wrong word and should only be for a cast iron pan where more carbon is better so food will not stick. The wife will ruin that in an instant with dish soap and a scrubby! [smilie=1:
Even conditions for each shot would be a better way to describe it.
You can NOT season a bore. You can balance it.
You CAN fill the bore with ash from crummy lube or powder ash but accuracy will be elsewhere. If you start to run over junk with a boolit it is hopeless. That junk increases friction too, the more you try to push out the worse it gets.

44man
11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
sorry pal i post this in the wrong thread. i moved it to your seasoning thread you might want to move your reply too.
No problem, I was there too. I have not experienced some of the stuff he talks about but I do not dispute him or anyone here. None of us has the same things happen.
I see no problem mixing things up, we are friends talking.

Lloyd Smale
11-23-2011, 10:07 AM
thanks pal. must have been to much pain meds yesterday. Huntings been hell on me this year!

44man
11-23-2011, 03:43 PM
thanks pal. must have been to much pain meds yesterday. Huntings been hell on me this year!
I understand. I was dragging the deer out and slipped on a large sloped rock under the leaves. I hit my knee bad and flopped on my butt with a twist to my back. I was miserable for 2 days. I put DMSO on my knee and it is better.
I might go out tonight. It is getting cold and windy.
The funny thing this year is I lost direction. :groner: I was going in before light and walked a circle to wind up at my starting point. Then when I was walking later I kept getting back to my seat instead of the other side of the property. I swore I was going straight! I stood once and asked where the hell I was. It all looks the same.