PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a new BLR owner

Wheeler
11-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Are there any Browning BLW onwers around? I'm picking up one next week in .308, a model 81 with a straight stock. If anyone has some tips they would like to share I sure would appreciate them.

Wheeler

runfiverun
11-19-2011, 03:57 PM
don't tell the wife what you paid for it. :lol:

Wheeler
11-19-2011, 06:11 PM
$400 +tax and weaver bases. ;)

Guesser
11-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Don't take the bolt out, I did and I caution you to not do it unless every other resource has been expended. I took mine apart for an indepth cleaning and it took me two months of trial and error to get it back in time so it would lock into battery completely when the lever was fully up tight on the stock. I had it so it was locked and the lever wasn't up and I had it so the lever was up but the bolt wasn't closed and locked. Didn't have internet services back then so I didn't have anyone to caution me. I have never taken it apart since.

Canuck Bob
11-19-2011, 08:11 PM
You will be real happy, they are fine rifles. Chambers can be a bit tight on Brownings and small base dies might be required. If you bump into a cheaper magazine buy it they can be hard to find for replacement or for a spare.

reivertom
11-21-2011, 02:31 AM
My good friend is a lefty and has always used one in .308 for deer hunting (since the early 70s). His gun is a tack driver and I have always wanted one, but never could find a good deal on one when I had the money. Spend money on a good scope and mounts that is not too bulky and it will handle like a dream. One of those Burris 2-7x26 timberline scopes with the generous eye relief would be perfect due to their compact size. You will learn to love the smooth fast cycling and natural feel.

Four Fingers of Death
11-21-2011, 05:54 AM
From what I learnt on another thread today, be careful pulling it apart! Aparently they are a bear to re-assemble. I came very close to buying a take down 308 recently. If I saw one in 270 I would be very tempted as I had only just set myself up with a new bolt rifle in 270.

The thread was called '223 lever action?' or something like that.

My mate had one in 22/250 with an old Pecar 4x scope, he only used jacketed bullets, but noting was safe within 300yds of it!

Wheeler
11-21-2011, 07:03 PM
My good friend is a lefty and has always used one in .308 for deer hunting (since the early 70s). His gun is a tack driver and I have always wanted one, but never could find a good deal on one when I had the money. Spend money on a good scope and mounts that is not too bulky and it will handle like a dream. One of those Burris 2-7x26 timberline scopes with the generous eye relief would be perfect due to their compact size. You will learn to love the smooth fast cycling and natural feel.

The shop I'm buying from is installing a set of Weaver bases. I have a no-name scope (literally, I can't find any markings on it at all) that is a 2.5-7X that has a decent eye relief on it, as well as some pretty clear glass. That should do until I can swing something a little nicer. Then again, if it holds zero, I'll probably leave it on there. I'm a firm believer of function over form.

MT Gianni
11-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Get an extra magazine or two. My pre 81 in 308 shoots 180 gr to 113 gr and groups well with each.

Four Fingers of Death
11-22-2011, 05:05 AM
I have always fancied one of these, but most used one I have seen were in 22/250 (a very popular calibre out here) and the occasional one in 243. I think if I had of ever seen a 308 or 35Win or similar second hand I would have bought one.

Good Cheer
11-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Missed getting one a while back in .358. Arrggg!

wv109323
11-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I have one in .308 and really like it. It is accurate and a good handling rifle. I have not shot cast Boolits, I always used the Nosler Ballistic tip bullets in mine.
There are two generations of the rifle concerning the magazine. The early ones had a stamped metal magazine. They are costly. I just saw one for $200.00.
The later ones have a different mag (beveled on four sides) and fits to the frame much better than the earlier ones. I have the old style. It functions O.K. but I would hate to loose it.

shotman
11-23-2011, 12:41 AM
One a buddy had,had a tight chamber. and was hard to eject fired case. He sent it back and they said nothing was wrong. He didnt reload. so it wasnt that . I shot it 4 times and tried to clean the chamber but still had same problem. He traded it off
It was a 308

Wheeler
11-25-2011, 01:28 PM
I picked mine up today. I'll be hopefully getting some ammo to play with this weekend. The scope goes on tonight when I have a minute.

I have one in .308 and really like it. It is accurate and a good handling rifle. I have not shot cast Boolits, I always used the Nosler Ballistic tip bullets in mine.
There are two generations of the rifle concerning the magazine. The early ones had a stamped metal magazine. They are costly. I just saw one for $200.00.
The later ones have a different mag (beveled on four sides) and fits to the frame much better than the earlier ones. I have the old style. It functions O.K. but I would hate to loose it.

Can you take a picture of the magazine your talking about? Better yet, I'll try to take some pictures later on today and I'll post.

Best regards,
Wheeler

Geobru
11-25-2011, 02:40 PM
I have one of the old pre-81's with the magazine that protrudes below the line of the receiver. I lost the original magazine while hunting and bought two mags so I would have one extra. (Back then, they cost $35!)

My BLR 308 is a tack driver. I have shot deer and elk, picked the heads off a few grouse, and punched 1/2" groups at 125 yards with it. They are great guns. Quick and easy handling.

The one weak spot is the trigger. There is a lot of play and they can be heavy. The triggers are NOT easy to adjust. Many a gunsmith has tried to work on them and lived to regret it! I have read some real horror stories about folks trying to tweak BLRs and winding up with a mess to deal with. As others have said, it is one gun that you don't take apart unless absolutely necessary.

pmeisel
11-25-2011, 10:55 PM
My advice, don't trade it for anything. I traded my 243 BLR for a shotgun years ago and have regretted it most of the time since.....

Te Hopo
11-26-2011, 03:59 AM
I sold my .308BLR years ago and got a single shot .270 to cut down on weight.
I don't regret it as I sold it to my father and he still lets me use it from time to time.