PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Aids ??

missionary5155
11-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Good morning
Down here in Southern Peru we work with people with all sorts of needs. A 72 year old man named Mario is near deaf. He was downtown a few months ago & was robbed of everything but his pants. Also taken were his over the ear hearing aids. Down here the best price we have been able to come up with is more than he will be able to save in years ($1350). Cannot locate any used aids down here.
So I am going to see if we can buy some used ones on this computer. I have looked at several sites trying to figure out what to get. This is my first venture into hearing aids. Looks like digital is good.. But if you can shed any light on my search please do. I would rather get something that will really help than a marginal apparatus.
All & any info will be appreciated. Thanks Fellers !!
Mike in Peru

P.K.
11-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Mike, here are a couple of places to start, no where near the price you listed and may be just what your looking for:

http://www.mdhearingaid.com/

https://www.hear-better.com/magento/?utm_campaign=adCenter-Secure&utm_source=PPC%20adCenter

jcwit
11-19-2011, 11:18 AM
There are used one's available on E-Bay now and again.

Yes Digital is the way to go. Also usually, at least mine, can be programed as to what the individual needs.

DCM
11-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Here is another place to look. https://www.hearinghelpexpress.com/hearingaidtype.aspx

missionary5155
11-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks !! I will be digging deeper.
Mike in Peru

gandydancer
11-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Hello PK great information. I could use a new aid hearing loss not from shooting. factory forge shop drop hammers in the 60's you took what work you could find. thanks again. GD

P.K.
11-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Hello PK great information. I could use a new aid hearing loss not from shooting. factory forge shop drop hammers in the 60's you took what work you could find. thanks again. GD

Your welcome, I've been researching the durn things myself. I have a major case of tinitus and midrange hearing loss in both sides thanks to rides in various military vehicles and ground hopped power packs. When the time comes it will prolly be the "Miracle Ear" or Beltone.

Bullet Caster
11-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Missionary5155,
I am also nearly deaf esp. in my right ear--my hearing loss comes from high pitched jet aircraft engine noise from the USMC. The VA gave me a hearing aid that is digital and programmable. Since most of my hearing loss is from nerve damage the aid doesn't help that much. The dang batteries are the hardest things to come by. I can't even get the VA to respond to my need for extra batteries. I've sent in the little card for replenishment, but to no avail.
Good luck with your quest and may God bless you and keep you in his perfect care. I will be glad to pray for you and your needs. We need more people like you who really care about the needs of others. BC

11-19-2011, 07:47 PM
P.K. and Bullet Caster,
PM sent regarding hearing aids.

tall grass
11-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Missionary

You might try Songbird hearing aids out. I don't use them but they are priced in the hundreds of dollars instead of the thousands of dollars. More in line with the mission field I would think. Some one let me put one on and listen once, not the best fidelity but sure better than you might think for the money. www.songbirdhearing.com/

regards

Jim

Blacksmith
11-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Missionary

I'll check with my Audiologist, I have an appointment on the 29th, and see what he says. Some years ago I donated my dads old ones through the audiologist to a charity that rebuilds them, got a nice deduction. There may be some charities that have them available.

Here are some links I found on a Google search that may help you. Starkey was who I donated to.

http://www.starkeyhearingfoundation.org/hearing-missions.php

http://www.betterhearing.org/hearing_loss_resources/

http://www.workersforjesus.com/dfi/

http://www.helpmehearfoundation.org/

Blacksmith

missionary5155
11-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Good Morning
Again everyone thankyou ! Sure am learning alot.
Thanks Blacksmith for the foundations.. Headed there now.
Mike in Peru

Bad Water Bill
11-20-2011, 05:47 AM
I think this topic should be a sticky as I am sure there are a lot of us here with the same problems. We can all learn something. To late to save what is lost but sure would be nice to hear the crickets chirp again,

oldgeezershooter
11-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Lots of straight shooters on this site!

shaggist
11-20-2011, 12:11 PM
If, like so many of us that served in the Armed Forces, you have a hearing loss, due to jet engine noise, small arms fire, artillery, or what ever cause, when you first get your hearing aids, the first thing you will notice is 'where did all the damned tweeter birds come from'. When I first got mine and walked out on the porch with them in and on, I couldn't believe the racket the tweeters were making. I hadn't heard them in so long, I had forgotten how many there are around. It was a wonderful revelation, and one I still enjoy 10 years later.
You will also curse the aids the first time you go to a restaurant, and find the background noise of other diners talking, silver clinking, and the general roar in the establishment that you had forgotten takes place in many public venues.

Bad Water Bill
11-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I did purchase a pair of electronic muffs from Midway a couple of years ago. It is amazing, I can hear my shoes scuffing across the gravel when going to change targets.

No wonder those critters get away. Never realized I was that noisey.:bigsmyl2:

11-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Co-incidently, as soon as I got mine, the truck started creaking more. It's a noisey world. Luckily, those of us with hearing aids can turn it down.

Mine have the ability to turn off the "surround sound" amplification, making loud environments, such as restaurants, less offensive. Also, there is a remote control that adjusts the volume and toggles the surround or front-only amplification.

Blacksmith
11-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Sometimes I still can't hear my wife.

Blacksmith

P.K.
11-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Sometimes I still can't hear my wife.

Blacksmith

Your a lucky one with those "self regulated nagging routine's" dialed in. The moment the naggin' starts it does it's job....:bigsmyl2:

P.K.
11-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Co-incidently, as soon as I got mine, the truck started creaking more. It's a noisey world. Luckily, those of us with hearing aids can turn it down.

Mine have the ability to turn off the "surround sound" amplification, making loud environments, such as restaurants, less offensive. Also, there is a remote control that adjusts the volume and toggles the surround or front-only amplification.

Brother,

I have a set of them muffs. They suck. You hear all sorts of stuff you didn't before...I like the sound dampening but letting me "hear" the "off" stuff has me paranoid as a range officer. I catch alot by sight but it's what I am catching by ear that suprises the you know what out of me!

A few are rough chamberings
Lock ups
FTF's
FTfeeds
mISFIRES
Blank fires
Hang fires
etc.....

I trully hate the responsability, I shoot alot. But I saw a need. Folks as a most part are not safe mean well but pull the "when we shot" and the "when I shot at this range....". So I decided to take the NRA RO Course...I loose sleep. The ear wear helps ALOT!

missionary5155
11-23-2011, 04:16 AM
Good morning
Again thanks everyone ! For sure there are more options out there than the big name outfits would want us to know about.
Anyone know about a "Brand" named Doctor Paul ? Probably a Chicom copy of something.
Mike in Peru