PDA

View Full Version : lyman 17a

hiram
11-19-2011, 10:27 AM
I have a couple of Lyman 17A sights. Over time, one insert went here and one went there, etc. I see the new 17A's being advertised now have 8 inserts -- 4 are aperture style and the others are posts and yellow disk.

I want to reorganize. Does anyone know what the number of aperture inserts were in a 17A set from years ago? Maybe sizes also? The current sizes are .093, .102, .110, and .120.

Thanks.

ph4570
11-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I do not have the answer to your question. However, you may want to look at inserts other than the Lyman's. I much prefer those by Lee Shaver.

hiram
11-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I have a set of Ron Snover inserts which I can use. I just want to try to organize what I have back into complete sets.

Alstep
11-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Good evening Hiram,
I've got an old 17A that has 8 inserts, don't know if that's complete. Also have a #77 which uses the same size inserts, and that one has 12. Various posts, both square and round dots, apertures, orange disk, and a blank disk with aperature. Confused yet? Hope that helps ya.
Have a happy Thanksgiving,
Al

looseprojectile
11-24-2011, 04:41 AM
in the little metal can and in the cardboard box. Came in the box with front sight.
It is a complete set. Five apertures and two posts.
Price on the box is $2.50 . Who knows how old?
Says on the label, Lyman "17A "A" Target front with seven inserts. For Springfield Model 1903
.30 Gov't "06" caliber.

Life is good

August
11-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I do not have the answer to your question. However, you may want to look at inserts other than the Lyman's. I much prefer those by Lee Shaver.

This is what I would have said, however it's already been said. So, all I can say is that I concur with the afore mentioned remarks about Lee Shaver inserts being superior to those that come with the Lyman sight.

hiram
11-24-2011, 01:52 PM
I was able to get the info that there are 4 metal and 1 plastic apertures. The old sets had 2 posts. The newer sets include a bead on a post.

I sorted all the pieces and reorganized into sets. I found I had some extras.

Here is a link showing what size front aperture to use on what target and at what distance:

http://fuzzylimey.net/projects/targapert.html