PDA

View Full Version : Paper Cartridges for Sharps

Cannoneer
11-19-2011, 08:30 AM
I used to shoot with N/SSA and had a .50 caliber Shiloh Sharps Percussion Carbine. Great gun and I made my own cartridges from both nitrated paper and nitrated cotton sheet material, (old bed linen).
To start out I got the correct paper cartridge kit from Dixie Gun Works. It included a mandrel that was the same diameter as my bullet, a small pad of nitrated paper and a glue stick.
I found out the hard way that the best way to make the cartridge was to make the tube the length of the chamber so the end would be flush with the breech end of the barrel.
To do this so you DO NOT have a tail to shear off when you close the breech block is to add this step.
Once you have your paper/linen cut to the proper length and width take a one inch square of silicone eye glass cleaning tissue. (I use this because it is stronger than TP and super thin.) Apply the one inch square to the end of the mandrel and form a cup. Fold it against the mandrel and apply glue from the glue stick on one short end of the precut paper and along one edge. Take the precut paper and lay the unglued side against the mandrel making sure that the glued short end is applied against the silicone paper cup on the end of the mandrel. As you wrap the paper around the mandrel snugly the glued edge will overlap the precut paper and form a tube with one end closed.
Put this aside. Repeat these steps until you have as many as you want or need.
Once the glue is dried, pour in a .7 cc Lee dipper full of 4Fg or 3Fg. This is your ignition charge. The pour in the amount of powder you plan to use leaving enough room to seat your bullet into the tube. At this point I would run a bead of Testors model airplane glue around the circumference of the paper/bullet juncture.
After letting everything dry, I would load them into the chamber and thumb them in until the end of the cartridge was flush with the breech.
Close the breech block and put the cap on the nipple.
When the trigger was squeezed, the hammer would fall setting off the cap.
The fire will then pierce the silicone paper and ignite the ignition charge which will ignite the main charge. Somewhat like the bag charge in modern day 155mm howitzers. The Nitrated paper would be consumed and leave nothing in the chamber but some ash. I never had and burning embers using the nitrated paper. If you don’t use the nitrated paper, you risk having glowing embers in the chamber that could ignite the next cartridge you chamber. That is not fun, especially in the heat of competition when you are shooting in a team match trying to cut a pole in half before the other team does.
When done like this, I never had a misfire with my Sharps.
Nitrated Paper and Bed Sheet Material:
I used typing paper that had a 25% rag content and old sheet the wife was going to throw out.
I cut the sheet into 8.5 inch x 11 inch sheets. Using a ball point pen and a straight edge, (a steel 12 inch ruler is best) I would draw lines that, when I cut the sheets later, would give me the correct size rectangles to form the cartridge tubes. Be sure to use a pen that has waterproof ink.
I used a large Pyrex casserole dish to put the sheets (paper or cotton) into it and boiled up 2 cups of water in a separate sauce pan. Buy a new one so your wife doesn’t have a fit about ruining her cooking utensils. As the water boiled I added Potassium Nitrate I got from the pharmacy and poured it into the water until I couldn't get it to dissolve any more. I then poured the super saturated solution into the Pyrex dish and let it sit for a half hour. This gave the sheets ample time to absorb the Potassium Nitrate from the super saturated solution.
After the solution cooled, I took the sheets out and hung them in the shower to dry. Once dry, I smoothed them out on a smooth plastic cutting board and cut them to the correct size for my carbine.
I stored them in an airtight/water tight ammo can until I was ready to make them into cartridges. I stored the completed cartridges in the same ammo can in a small plastic container that I bought at the Grocery store that were sold to store leftovers

Ragnarok
11-19-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm interested in making paper cartriges for .44 revolvers...and useful insight into that?

Cannoneer
11-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm interested in making paper cartriges for .44 revolvers...and useful insight into that?

Well, it's been a long time and there are folks out thers that probably have a better grasp on this that I do, but here goes. From what I remember from an instruction sheet I got from Dixie Gun Works years ago you use a wooden dowel that will fit snuggly in the chamber of your revolver. Taper the dowel slightly and use either cigarette paper or eyeglass lens cleaning tissue. Cut the paper into a roughly triangular shape so it fits over the tapered dowel and overlaps by at least a quarter inch. (Trial and error here.) Using a glue stick, glue the overhanging edge and secure it to the paper making a cone. Fold over the small end and secure with glue stick.

After they dry, fill with your powder charge. There should be enough paper above the powder charge to insert your ball. Secure ball with Model airplane, tube type, cement. Let dry and you should have what you need for rapid reloading. Being tapered the cartridge will split and lose powder will fill the chamber as you ram the ball home.

Might be a good idea to make a template out of card stock to speed up your process.

Good luck.

Mike9793
04-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Well it is 2015 and Dixie Gunworks doesn't support any paper cartridge info or hardware of any sort. NICE!

docone31
04-08-2015, 11:32 AM
U-tube has a video on that.
It shows to make a cone, snip the end, take a square of lighter paper and glue it into the end. Then fill with powder and glue in the ball or casting.
Looks like you get a dowel to fit, sand a taper, then make a template to cut the pieces with. Roll the pieces then glue them in a roll.
Looks simple enough once you get the sizes down. Looks like sand and fit..
When I did it, I used a glue stick rather than water glass. As you seat the ball in the chamber, the lower end breaks open and the chamber fills with powder. The paper gets mashed in the chamber and exits the barrel. No Nitrate soda needed.

docone31
04-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Here it is,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0PQU2ksxM
Pretty simple.

John Allen
04-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Here it is,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0PQU2ksxM
Pretty simple.

That was pretty cool. I think I will stick with the pouring the powder in but it is a neat idea

Nobade
04-08-2015, 07:52 PM
I used to make cartridges using adding machine paper for the body and hair curler paper for the end. It worked great, but was time consuming to make. Then I switched to using the hair curler paper for the whole thing. I make them like a roll of coins - fold over and glue the end, take off the mandrel, fill with powder, and fold over and glue the other end. They are surprisingly strong and don't split open, but the cap flash fires right through the end for good ignition. As a bonus, 1000 papers cost me $2 so it's pretty cheap ammo!

Oh - the glue is those purple glue sticks they make for kindergartners. That's some sticky stuff and really holds paper together.

-Nobade

.22-10-45
04-09-2015, 01:07 AM
I used to make paper ctgs. for my Navy Arms copy of the Colt 1851 .36 navy. I turned up a tapered brass rod. I was using wax paper for ctg. & a round cigarett paper disk glued to bottom. I also made ctg, body using the cig. papers. The tapered shape..like the originals allows the ctg. to burst open when ramming home in cyl.

drago9900
04-09-2015, 08:02 AM
I found some card board tubes from Charlie Hahn made for my 63 Sharps that work great and are'nt expensive.

varsity07840
04-09-2015, 08:47 AM
That was pretty cool. I think I will stick with the pouring the powder in but it is a neat idea

If you mean filling the chamber with powder, that's not a good idea. Excess powder will bind up the breech block and can find its way under the forend where it can accumulate and become a hazard. Sharps have been known to have explosions from that condition. Also, a chamber full if powder will give you less accuracy and a lot more recoil. If you don't want to make cartridges,
Charlie Hahn's tubes are the way to go.

Duane

Southron
04-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Just saw up a 1/2 inch dowel to four or five inch lengths and then wrap and glue A LADIES HAIR CURLING PAPER into a tube using an Elmer's Glue Stick.

Then run some of the glue from the glue stick around the heel of the cartridge and slide the paper tube off the end of the dowel and on to the heel of the cartridge.

Then press the top of the paper tube around the heel of the bullet, helping the glue stick.

Then put the nose of the bullet into a cartridge loading block and USING DENTAL FLOSS CHOKE AND TIE THE PAPER TUBE TO THE BASE OF THE BULLET.

When the glue dries, simply dump your powder charge into the tube, twist the tail close and dip the exposed lead of the bullet into a molten mixture of 60% Beeswax and 40% Bore butter. Set nose of bullet into loading block until the lube hardens.

NOTE YOU DON'T HAVE TO MESS WITH NITRATING THE CARTRIDGE OR MESSING WITH ALL OF THAT "KID STUFF."

An advantage of using Ladies Hair Curling Papers is that they are CHEAP, pre-cut to the right size and burn completely up in the chamber.

Nobade
04-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Hi Southron, good to see you on this forum!

Got any suggestions as how to make cartridges with the Guy France bullet? It shoots great in my Shiloh, but with no tail I just drop it in first and follow up with a cartridge full of powder. I wonder how other folks use it, never have heard.

-Nobade

country gent
04-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Nobade. could you make the tube so that the bullets slides into it snugly? then it would be the same as any other paper cartridge. A mandrel at bullet dia from nitrided or not paper the tissue end glued in place and powder a felt or card wad seated with a wad punc onto charge then bullet hand seated into place tight on the wad. A little was or bullet lube would help hold in place with out a super strong bond on the bullet. When I had my paper cutter sharps replica thats how I made the cartridges up.

texaswoodworker
04-10-2015, 11:59 PM
If you mean filling the chamber with powder, that's not a good idea. Excess powder will bind up the breech block and can find its way under the forend where it can accumulate and become a hazard. Sharps have been known to have explosions from that condition. Also, a chamber full if powder will give you less accuracy and a lot more recoil. If you don't want to make cartridges,
Charlie Hahn's tubes are the way to go.

Duane

I think he was talking about cap and ball revolvers.

varsity07840
04-11-2015, 06:11 PM
I think he was talking about cap and ball revolvers.
My bad.

Duane

varsity07840
04-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Hi Southron, good to see you on this forum!

Got any suggestions as how to make cartridges with the Guy France bullet? It shoots great in my Shiloh, but with no tail I just drop it in first and follow up with a cartridge full of powder. I wonder how other folks use it, never have heard.

-Nobade
I use a similar Moose .544 xmas tree bullet without the ringtail. I glue it to a Hahn tube. Works fine. Sharps bullets used in linen cartridges did not have a ringtail.

Duane

Nobade
04-11-2015, 09:02 PM
The thing is, the bullet is sized to just fit in the throat. The throat is quite long, and when seated the base of it is flush with the end of the chamber. There is no room for paper, unless I size the bullet down quite a bit. It is so accurate I really like to use it, but the ringtail bullets make better cartridges so far. I don't know what other people using that bullet do, the only thing I could think of would be to have the paper minimally engage the base of the bullet, it wouldn't be up against the lands but might work OK anyhow. I haven't tried it like that yet.

-Nobade

country gent
04-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Maybe a breech seat type set up with the under bullet wad as the front of the paper cartridge seat bullet and drop cartridge of powder lube into place.

Nobade
04-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Yep, that's what I am doing now. Not as fast as complete cartridges but works fine and shoots accurately.

-Nobade

Southron
04-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Dear Noblade

Try gluing your Ladies Hair Curling Paper Cartridge Tube to your bullet and see how that works.

Ryan76
03-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Can you turn me one of these brass mandrel? I have a uberti 51 navy and a 44 1860 army and would like to begin making paper cartridges then both.

Ryan76
03-12-2017, 01:49 PM
My email address is Ryanlpuckett@yahoo.com

Nobade
03-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Dear Noblade

Try gluing your Ladies Hair Curling Paper Cartridge Tube to your bullet and see how that works.

It doesn't work with the bullet I am using. The France design from Moose Molds, no tail to glue to. That does work with the christmas tree type I have, but those don't shoot as well as the Moose ones.

-Nobade

Nobade
03-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Wow, I didn't realize how old this thread was...

-Nobade

varsity07840
03-13-2017, 08:21 AM
It doesn't work with the bullet I am using. The France design from Moose Molds, no tail to glue to. That does work with the christmas tree type I have, but those don't shoot as well as the Moose ones.

-Nobade

With the France design you glue the cartridge to the bottom driving band. That's how it was done with linen cartridges. The bullet did not have a rig tail.

54bore
03-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Wow, I didn't realize how old this thread was...

-Nobade

LOL! My thoughts as well, thread started in November of 2011

Nobade
03-13-2017, 10:01 AM
With the France design you glue the cartridge to the bottom driving band. That's how it was done with linen cartridges. The bullet did not have a rig tail.
Kind of what I figured it was supposed to be. Only rub is my chamber is barely bigger than the throat, and a cartridge glued on like that won't go in the hole. So I just seat the bullet with a short starter and drop the cartridge in behind it. Works for me, not trying to fight a war just have fun shooting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk