PDA

View Full Version : salvaging GC

kbstenberg
11-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I have some bullets that have been sized, lubed, an gas checked. Now the bullets are unshootable. Due to general crud accumulation on them.
Being frugal (cheap) I am wondering if when I remelt the bullets the GC can be salvaged an reused. Most of them are 30 cal, but there are a few 22's an some 7mm.
Kevin

7of7
11-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Why not clean the crud off of them, with some mineral spirits, and run them through the sizer again to lube them.

badgeredd
11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
If you melt down your boolits and carefully skim off the gas checks, most will be usable. You'll have to make a spreader punch to re-open the mouth of the checks to be able to re-use them. It has been done and if you have the time, I see no reason not to use them. They WILL be annealed but that isn't a bad thing either; some will have a bit of lead stuck to them :sad: , but again if it isn't on the outside and you can get the shank into the check, they should be usable. Your call since it is your time and your money. :bigsmyl2:

Edd

jonas302
11-20-2011, 09:54 AM
I too would go with cleaning them off with solvent, gas, boiling water ect

1Shirt
11-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Have used the boiling method a few times. Works like a bandit!
1Shirt!:coffee:

kbstenberg
12-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks all. Yup I first used warm water an soap. Lots of crud gone. Today I'll try washing them in M.S. an see what is left on them. So far over 90% have been salvaged. I just hate the thought of the added expense of remelting usable bullets.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-11-2011, 11:29 AM
The real economy in salvaging cruddy GCed boolits is the recovery of labor and materials, not the 2 cents/whatever per GC recovered by additional labor. The total labor is changed from making a complete projectile to that of having a used GC, which may or may not even be useful. BvT.