PDA

View Full Version : Candle Wax

daschnoz
11-18-2011, 03:46 PM
My wife was given a nice 15oz. Walmart candle. Vanilla Cookie. Yummy. We're not candle burners, so we looked at it, and looked at each other with that 'what the F are we going to do with this' look on our faces.

I did give the surface a swipe with my finger. It is slightly oily and slick (fragrance oils?).

What are the odds that this is a beeswax candle? Would it be a good base for boolit lube?

She would simply throw it away. I would hate to see it go to waste, then buy wax to make lube with.

runfiverun
11-18-2011, 05:40 PM
it's not beeswax it's soy wax.
i have made lube with it before.
it makes a pretty soft lube on it's own so i have taken to mixing it into my b-wax at up to 40% ratios.
be careful with the scented stuff i once made what was termed a** crack sweat lube it worked great but hooboy.
vanilla is pretty good as is angle food cake and a couple of others i stay away from the mellon ones.

220swiftfn
11-19-2011, 12:54 AM
If you're not sure what it is, and don't want to run the risk of making the "perfect" lube without being able to do it again, just use it as flux........

Dan

WHITETAIL
11-27-2011, 10:07 AM
+1 on useing it as flux.
My daughter gives me her used
candles in a jar.:Fire:
And I melt them out and put them in my ingot moulds.
Then they get put in a canister set to be used later whem I smelt.

Reload3006
11-27-2011, 10:10 AM
makes a sweet fragrance as your fluxing your pot. I for one like to know what is going on in my lube.

mdi
11-27-2011, 01:24 PM
I've found soy wax just so-so as a lube base. I think I tried it in a Darr's type lube, but notes are out in the shed. I would think if it were real bees wax, the mfg. would brag about it on a lable on the bottom...

Sonnypie
11-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Just don't "swoosh" at the range....
Otherwise everybody will soon know who is shooting Tootie-Fruity boolits. :oops:
:lol:

(I have the remnants of one of those big tootie-fruity candles in my crock pot loob. :veryconfu )

http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.info/img/DD09_DennisMiller.jpg