PDA

View Full Version : Need a quiet load for .45 ACP

greywuuf
11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Just placed an order for the rhineland mauser kit, and am thinking about a very quiet load, as I think this might be a nice way to introduce youngsters to center fire rifles. Any suggestions? Any chance that 16" is long enough to "cat sneeze"

Homeland defense begins at home. I'm not there. Sent from a mobile device using a commercial app.

daschnoz
11-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Lyman has loading data for certain pistol cartridges that are popular in rifles (45ACP being one of them). The maximum loads tend to be the same as pistol max loads, but the minimum loads are higher. The last thing you want to do is stick a pill half way down the tube, then fire another one behind it.

With that said, I would start with minimum (rifle) charges under the lightest pill you can find (or cast) and work up until it gets too loud or too stout on the shoulder. Run some yourself first to make sure that they all clear the bore before giving them to the aforementioned youngster.

FWIW, I have a 9mm carbine. 115gr 9mm out of the thing feels no punchier to the shoulder than a 22LR, but only slightly louder.

HodakaGA
11-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I'd think most any 200-230 grain boolit load would be pretty quite. They aren't going to break the sound barrier and all the powder would be burned up by exit. 165's would probably make a strong noise though.

Larry Gibson
11-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm shooting the Lee 452-190-SWC over 4.3 gr of Bulseye for an accuracy load. It's running 915 fps and stays inside 1.5" at 50 yards. With a 230 RN over 4.5 gr it runs about the same. I haven't loaded lower because i wanted a load for the M1911 as well and both loads shoot just fine in my Colt. They also shoot very well out of my M1917 S&W with a 1955 target barrel on it and my Cimeron SAA with a 45 ACP cylinder.

The twist of my Rhineland barrel is 18" BTW.

Larry Gibson

NuJudge
11-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I believe that ing general the faster the powder is that you use, the lower the muzzle pressure would be, so the report would be less.

greywuuf
11-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Thank you all for the input and for the idea's. I cant wait to get playing with this thing.

Larry Gibson
11-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Thank you all for the input and for the idea's. I cant wait to get playing with this thing.

My only advice is don't get frustrated with the feeding, it takes a bit of tweaking. If you any questions on assembly (the so called "directions" are a little short, don't hesitate to ask as I've put 4 of them togenther so far and I learned more each time.

One last thing. Take lots of ammo to the range......you won't bring any loaded back.....it's more fun than should be allowed......get a 6 cavity mould and a dillon to load on..........:)

Larry Gibson

TCLouis
11-19-2011, 10:16 PM
OK, it is settled, I have a Spanish action that will last forever with this kind of pressure.

I feel I might just have to get me one of these for Christmas.

May well be looking for helpful Hints in the near future.

Moonie
11-28-2011, 03:34 AM
I'm using 200gr SWC with 3.2gr Clays with a 11lb progressive spring in my 1911, 600fps. Might be worth trying.