PDA

View Full Version : Tale of the Dingoes - part the last

bglz42
02-18-2007, 09:34 AM
As many of you will learn to know, Janet and I rescue dogs on occasion, (we live in a rural area, just outside Houston). We adopted out quite a few over the years. Two years ago, we rescued of a couple of pups we call the Dingos, Neva and Buster. They were dumped near our house, and we took them to the local shelter for adoption (we had eight dogs at the time, no room at the inn...) The shelter was unable to adopt them and we picked them up just minutes before they got the needle.

Fast forward two years: Though a little mischevious, they seemed mostly harmless. Very sweet, they both learned to climb our fence but we live in the country so we figured no harm done. We knew they hunted some, because we'd find birds and such in the yard.

A few weeks ago, my neighbor's cow had a little white faced calf. We watched her as she struggled in her new, cold world. We took pictures of her, as she lay in the grass and shivered. We watched her every day, as she explored her new surroundings.

A few minutes ago, my nieghbor told me that the Dingos killed that calf. Ran her down and slaughtered her on Thursday. Janet and I burst into tears when we heard. We are at such a loss to understand how two sweet pups, who are never aggressive, can kill a baby calf like that. She wasn't killed for food, she was killed for fun. We haven't stopped crying since we heard.

We are going on Monday to have them put down. We don't know what else to do. There is another calf over the fence, and we are very scared for her. Maybe the shelter could adopt them out? Maybe someone with a tall fence could take them. We are at such a loss... does any one have any suggestions, besides keeping them? We can hardly even look at them...

Jim & Janet

Bret4207
02-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Sometimes we have to face the fact that things just aren't going to work out. I've seen Pitbulls, Dobermans, Shepherds, Dalmations, Rottweilers, Huskys and just plain mutts that were either vicious or uncontrollable that had to be put down. If they'll attack and kill a calf, who's to say they won't do the same with a child? It's a sad fact, but they are what they are. I've had to put some of my own down. If nothing else, living in farm country, you'll avoid more problems with the neighbors.

Sorry you have to go through this.

Treeman
02-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I had a really sweet, smart dog long ago. He was half Visla and half Blue Healer. Unfortunately I had to leave him with a family member while I was out of the country. Just before I got back for him he got to running with a pack that killed some sheep. He got put down. That hurt but there really wasn't any other right answer.

medic44
02-18-2007, 11:29 AM
It's sad. The crime is that the dogs were dumped in the first place. Dogs unlike natural preditors hunt for the fun of it once the get the feel for it. As the guy that has lost $$$$$ to dogs it makes me mad when people dump dogs. They say, "We're just letting them go back to nature." A dog is used to people and will go after the slower animals that are closer to humans. I lost 80 hogs in one day to 4 domestocated dogs that got the taste for blood. Once they start there is no stopping them. I'm sorry but you must do the hard and right thing. My deepest sympathy.

bglz42
02-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys. We've come to the same conclusions, however difficult. We are saying our goodbyes today, and celebrating their lives with us. I'm going to have them put down as humanely as possible tomorrow, and cremated. Their ashes will be spread on the land they loved to roam...

bglz42
02-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your kind words. Neva and Buster were put to sleep this afternoon. We've never cried so much in all of our days, but we just had to do it. I could not worry every day that they'd get out and harm another calf or possibly much worse.

They were treated with dignity and respect today, we were not mad at them. They were just doing what their instinct told them to do, and we do not hold them responsible. They will remain in our hearts forever, for they touched us deeply.

Vaya con Dios, my little Amigos...may your days be warm and sunny, and your fields full of game.

versifier
02-19-2007, 11:02 PM
You are obviously people of courage and of honor. Doing the right thing is seldom the easier alternative. I lost stock over the years to those who chose to live in denial rather than face reality. I had and have no respect nor sympathy for any of them - but I sure do for you, and I'd be proud to have you as neighbors and friends. Honor and responsibility seem to be in shorter supply these days than ever before, most choose the easy ways that only make matters worse. You restore my faith in humanity.

bglz42
02-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys. Your words helped to brighten a dark time for us.

Ranch Dog
02-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Jim,

I just don't know what to write. In fact, I've been to upset to write anything as I wished I could have helped with your dogs. My wife, Dianna, and I discussed your situation over the weekend but the bottom line is that it was a very tough situation to deal with but you dealt with it responsibly.

I lost my "dingo dog" last year at this time and I'm still not over her. What an animal! Head strong with a will of their own. I suspect it's about as close as having a wolf for a dog as you can experience. For 12-years my dear Shiela spent every day trying to figure out how she could out do me and become leader of our pack. I remember some exhausting days.

I love dogs but have to deal with about a dozen a year that people, people very different from you, dump at my cattle guard. I can hardly write about this but I figure we will all meet up one day and the dogs will hold those that did the dumping responsible for their fate and not me. God I hope so. So, many irresponsible people and thank God you and wife are not among them.

I just don't know how to comfort you and your wife so I will just ask God to do that.

bglz42
02-21-2007, 04:28 AM
Thanks, Ranch Dog. We live in a dump zone also. I only hope I never actually catch someone doing it...

We've adopted out well over a dozen dogs in the ten years we've been in the boonies. Some have just stayed on for varying reasons. We still have six here with us now: Larry, Buddy, Rose, Willie, and the beagles (Fannie and Jack).

Thanks for your comforting words. We are doing better day by day, it's still awfully quiet around here, (believe it or not... Neva and Buster were pretty vocal.)

I carried some flowers to the vet's office today for the ladies there. They were amazingly understanding and gentle. Neva and Buster were treated with respect and dignity up to the end, and we appreciate their efforts.

Jim & Janet

Four Fingers of Death
02-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Once they get the taste for blood, ain't gonna stop at one. Even if you adopt them out, next one might be a child. Time to bite the boolit and say goodbye unfortunately.