PDA

View Full Version : Tightening up a Lee Mold.

TNFrank
11-18-2011, 11:53 AM
The recent Lee Mold that I picked up(.401", 175gr SWC, TL) really seems to be loser then it should be. I've got to tip it up to get the blocks to line up and even then they don't always line up perfectly. I've had to cull out a lot of bullets because the tumble lube grooves weren't lined up right even though the bullet didn't look too bad.
I just wonder if there's a way I can tighten things up so the blocks will line up better without so much effort. It really sucks casting 80 or 90 bullets and putting 50 back into the lead pot because they weren't lined up right.

Jailer
11-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a 2 cavity the way you are describing it. Are you lubing the aligning pins? A little lube on them helps them close better. Closing it on a flat surface helps too. When I get a stubborn one I'll rest it on top of my bench vice to close it.

Wally
11-18-2011, 12:22 PM
I have a no. of Lee mols..some are a bit loose. As Jailer mentioned, best to close them setting them on a flat surface..I use a small board to rest them on to close them. Others will flip the mold with the sprue plate upside down--that will usually work as well. To tighten them up..you can shim the inside of the pins (they hold the mold to the handles) with strips of aluminum... however with use they will usually work there way out. Or you can use leather gloves to close them by pinching them closed with your thumb and forefinger.

11-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Set the open mould on something flat (I use the edge of the casting bench) gently close it, then gently swing the sprue cutter into place.

Hopefully, you didn't follow Lee's instructions and smear boolit lube on the alignment pins. If you don't have any Bullplate, judicious application of synthetic two-cycle oil is an excellent substitute.

TNFrank
11-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I normally only put a small bit of candle wax on the screw where the spur plate is to keep it from galling but I've never lubed the alignment pins. I may put just a touch of wax on them to see if it'll help. Also, closing it upside down so the spur plate will help to align the mold blocks sounds like a good idea as does closing them on a flat surface. I'll try both ways to see what's going to work best.
This is the first Lee mold that I've ever had any problems with. Most work great. Oh well, need to get out and do some casting. Thanks again.

ktw
11-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Blast from the past thread on fixing up/modifying Lee molds.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3172

-ktw

TNFrank
11-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Well, putting the blocks on my loading bench as I closed them worked like a charm. Out of the 100 boolits I ran only 18 were bad and that was because of wrinkles from the mold being cold, not mis-alignment. Thanks for the tip guys, it worked great. Now to lube em' up, size em' and load some ammo. :wink:

jwmprock
11-18-2011, 01:48 PM
The top of all my benches is covered in sheet metal. When casting with one of those loosey goosey Lee molds, after dumping the bullets I place the mold, right side up, on the metal surface and close it. Closes perfectly every time.

kelbro
11-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I tap them on the heel of my (gloved) palm as I'm closing them the last little bit.

TNFrank
11-20-2011, 01:23 PM
After reading the sticky about the Lee 6 cavity mold I may give one of those a try. It'd probably cut my time in half if not more. I'd do the screw mod sines metal on aluminum is never a good idea.

RegCom7
12-02-2011, 11:54 PM
I've had a similar problem with some of my Lee moulds not closing properly. And I realized that the large hinge bolt for the handles was loose! So I tightened them up and that solved the problem. Have you checked that TNFrank?

Boolseye
12-04-2011, 06:43 PM
After reading the sticky about the Lee 6 cavity mold I may give one of those a try. It'd probably cut my time in half if not more.

+1. 6 cavities are a bootiful thang

wallenba
12-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I have a couple that I need to lay the bottoms of the mold on my tapping stick to keep them even while closing. It's all second nature now, and I catch myself doing it with my iron molds too.

DLCTEX
12-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't use waxes to lube my moulds since obtaining Bullplate lube. It does not build up the carbon deposits left by waxes, prevents smearing on the top of the mould and sprue plate, and lasts longer.

shagg
12-09-2011, 09:31 PM
where do you get bullplate lube?

SkookumJeff
12-10-2011, 03:39 AM
I jiggle and slap the bottom of my Lee 2 cavity molds to get them to close properly. I look at the seam on the bottom of the mold to make sure the molds are closed properly on every cycle. I don't have this trouble with my Lee 6 cavity molds, these are MUCH better molds IMO.

DLCTEX
12-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Shagg: Bullplate lube is only available by snail mail from:we only take orders via snail mail
you can send order to
The Bull Shop
HC 62 BOX 5640
Delta Junction, AK 99737

one bottle is $6.50 shipped
Two bottles is $11.50 shipped
three bottles is $15.50 shipped
These are 4 oz. bottles and will last a long time unless you spill it or make Speed Green lube.