PDA

View Full Version : have to ask

bryonbush
11-18-2011, 10:34 AM
ive been thinking to myself "self, why is it that the star is air pressurized and my 4500 isnt" the only reason why i can think that its not is because of the rod that is needed to spin the plunger down. but what if one was to remove the rod, fill the hole in the bottom of the sizer with something and makea solid plunger, why cant this be powered by air?" you would also have to thread the top of the lube resivour and make a cover with an air connection, but not that hard. has anyone else tried this?

btroj
11-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Don't see whymitmcant be done. Key is finding the amount of air pressure required to get the lube to flow without having so much that it lets lube flow when ou don't want it to.

Biggest obstacle is making the parts required to pressurize the reservoir. The Staris designed to easily do so, the Lyman isn't. Someone with the right tools and know how could certainy do it.

1Shirt
11-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Guess I am old school! Don't much believe in fixing what isn't broke. There is probably a way of modifying both the Lyman and RCBS. However after running many thousands of blts thru my Lymans of various vintages and my RCBS's. I am to old to change horses in min stream. If I were to have an itch that just had to be scratched in this regard, I would just go and buy a couple of stars.
1Shirt!:coffee:

sqlbullet
11-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I I were going to go to the trouble, I would go a step further. I would design a switch that would only pressurize the lube at the bottom of the stroke. That would alleviate any issues with leakage.

Then I would remove the plunger from my die, and the return mechanism on the bottom that lifts the boolit back up. Now you have a push through sizer. Thought about this several times, but never have had time to try it on my Lachmiller.

alfloyd
11-18-2011, 02:22 PM
The Star has a low pressure reservoir feeding the high pressure pump that pumps the lube into the lube groves at the bottom of the handle stroke. This is why you can lube with the straight thru system, not the in and out system.

The Lyman has high pressure on the lube reservoir at all times. That is why they have the sizer rod in the size die, to keep lube off the bottom and they do not push the boolit nose past the lube holes in the die.

This makes it harder to get the Lyman to work with air pressure. You will need a higher air pressure to work with the Lyman, and you will still need to lube with the in and out method.

If you get the Lyman to work with air pressure, please post the results here for others to see.

Just my thoughts. :)

Lafaun

Tumble Bug
11-23-2011, 11:13 AM
If you decide you want to try a modification, there is a company called Clippard
Pneumatics up in Ohio that will probably have every thing you need (Well all of the
pneumatics anyway). They specialize in miniature pneumatic items such as valves,
hoses, fittings and cylinders. Prices are reasonable.

Give them a Goggle.

Mk42gunner
11-23-2011, 04:15 PM
I I were going to go to the trouble, I would go a step further. I would design a switch that would only pressurize the lube at the bottom of the stroke. That would alleviate any issues with leakage.

Then I would remove the plunger from my die, and the return mechanism on the bottom that lifts the boolit back up. Now you have a push through sizer. Thought about this several times, but never have had time to try it on my Lachmiller.

I like this idea, but by the time you do all the work, you could probably buy a used Star. The way I use my RCBS, I only have pressure on it when a boolit is in the die anyway.

Robert