PDA

View Full Version : 577 450 MH: Newbie needs help

roys101
02-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Hi. I have a Mk IV, 1887 long lever rifle. I need brass and a mold. Can anyone recommend a mold? Dia. needed might be .470 (?). Best deals on brass? Thanks. Chris.
roys101@presys.com

AkMike
02-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Roy, You are in luck! There is a group buy of 'Tini molds at
http://pub182.ezboard.com/bbritishmilitariaforums
in the vendor section. Read the ad and sign up. Those guys will help that old hoss bellow again.

JeffinNZ
02-18-2007, 04:42 AM
www.castbulletengineering.bigpondhosting.com.au

Jim makes them specifically for MH. Just cut a new design at Xmas.

Boz330
02-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Roy,
I think that the mold buy has closed but they have a group buy on Jamison brass at as good a price as you will find anywhere. You will need to sign up to get on the board but it's a good group of guys and there is a pile of imfo that you can get from the board on the MHs.
You might try one of the Lee 475 molds for a pistol, should be about the right size and reasonable cheap.

Bob

dromia
02-18-2007, 11:24 AM
The mould order page is still up on British Militaria forum, so Michael is still taking the orders but I'd get in quick.

Bigjohn
02-22-2007, 09:45 PM
I can second the option on a CBE mold. Jim can also do up a PP mold if you wish to go that direction.

Bruce Bertram can supply brass if you need a source.

John.

Ross
02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
My local baitshop lists Bertram 577/450 for US$109.75 and Jamison for US$59.98, both for 20 cases.
Jamison is the successor to MAST, who succeeded Bell. The brass appears the same as Bell at first glance.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Boz330
02-23-2007, 09:54 AM
http://p223.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm16.showMessage?topicID=1 81.topic

There is group buy on brass on the British board as well. Check out the link above. Looks to be about $2.15 ea plus shipping. The brass is Jamison under the TenX head stamp.

Bob

montana_charlie
02-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Graf & Sons has the brass ar $53 for twenty...
http://www.grafs.com/browse/898/427

And, Buffalo Arms has it for $3.20 each...
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=49&catid=38&step=2

Gulp! I thought .45-110 brass was high priced!
CM

Boz330
02-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Charlie, do they have it in stock? I know several folks that have had it back ordered for some time.

Bob

montana_charlie
02-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Couldn't say...I only saw that it is listed.
If I showed a deeper interest...they might want me to BUY SOME!
CM

Four Fingers of Death
02-23-2007, 05:00 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Single%20Shots%20and%20Target%20Rifles/465-480PBRN003.jpg

This Jim Allison's new boolit. One advantage is that he will make you a top punch at the same time. One disadvantage is that his production is backed up till May.

It can be had in 480 gns and 58o gns from memory and it apparently is a pretty close copy of the boolit they used to use.

Probably easier for you to source on in the states, but Jim does make fineee moulds.

Mick.

The Double D
03-06-2007, 12:44 PM
What's the diameter on the new CBE Mould for the Martini?

martinibelgian
03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Douglas,

Please stop drooling! [smilie=1:

Uncle R.
03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I can't personally guarantee that it works, but a knowledgeable friend tells me that MidwayUSA sells 24 ga. brass shotshells that will form nicely into .577-450 cases and they're MUCH cheaper. He said there's no need for case rim modifications and claims that he's used them in his Martini with success. You might want to investigate this option before you buy. There must be SOMEONE on this board who can confirm or debunk this...
Good luck with your Martini!
Uncle R.

Ross
03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
One of our regular Africans is the guru.
Douglas is da man.

45 2.1
03-06-2007, 03:13 PM
I can't personally guarantee that it works, but a knowledgeable friend tells me that MidwayUSA sells 24 ga. brass shotshells that will form nicely into .577-450 cases and they're MUCH cheaper. He said there's no need for case rim modifications and claims that he's used them in his Martini with success. You might want to investigate this option before you buy. There must be SOMEONE on this board who can confirm or debunk this...
Good luck with your Martini!
Uncle R.

I think that the 24 gauge brass is for the .577 Snider.

http://p223.ezboard.com/Annealing-24-gage-brass/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm2.showMessage?topicID=10 17.topic

Boz330
03-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Ross is right about Douglas, but he probably won't get to this till tomorrow.
These are my observations. I have about 75 of the converted 24 guage brass and they do work, but they are shotgun shells so there is no thickening of the brass towards the base like normal rifle brass. It takes several different sets of dies to form it and you have to anneal between each pass. After several firings the base starts to dome because it is thin and then the rounds won't chamber. The 24 guage brass also takes about 115 grains of BP to fill it up and the LOC load is 85 grains. By the time you go through the process to make the brass you can have proper brass that will last, for $2.05 each. When there wasn't an option this was the way to go but now you do have that option. Get the right brass, you won't be sorry. Been there done that!

Bob

dromia
03-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Got to agree that the right brass makes life a lot easier. The 24 gauge brass is a good option when there is nothing else or thirty bob a case is OTT. To be honest it makes better .577 Snider brass that 450/577, 450/577 being to all intents and purposes a necked down Snider. The large case capacity is an BP issue for a bottle neck, it can be reduced with a combustible liner but its another step and only for those weirdos with an arcane bent like me.

I've just recently started using Jamieson brass, from Buffalo Arms the exchange rate is good for us Brits just now, and rate it. Prior to that I was using Kynoch, as expensive as Bertram but much better.

I don't rate Bertram brass at all having used it in a few calibres now and found it variable at best. The necks split after a few firings and it doesn't seem to anneal well.

Go with the Jamiesons I say, the British Militaria forum are doing a group by on brass, I'll be in for 100 each of Snider and Martini when it goes live, don't know if it works out cheaper but I do like to support self help.

dromia
03-06-2007, 04:28 PM
BTW I do like the look of the new CBE bullet, he makes great moulds.

Is it on his web site yet or do you just email him.

I'd like to know the diameter it drops at too.

Bigjohn
03-07-2007, 12:03 AM
http://www.castbulletengineering.bigpondhosting.com/custom.htm
BTW I do like the look of the new CBE bullet, he makes great moulds.

Is it on his web site yet or do you just email him.

I'd like to know the diameter it drops at too.

Jim posts details of the boolits sizes with the pictures; other information can be obtained via email.

I have found that his mold catalogue is at a slightly different address from his front page. A google search turned it up. I will post the link if I can find it again.

John.

The Double D
03-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Guru!! Isn't that a skinny bald headed guy who lives on top of a mountain and eats flowers. I could never be confused with skinny or bald, I live in a condo over looking the Indian Ocean and eat the flesh of animals, preferably ones I killed myself.

As to the CBC Shotgun brass. It is labor intensive and usable for both the 577/450 and 577 Snider. It is semi balloon headed and large capacity and weaker than solid head brass like the Kynoch-Bertram-Jamison brass. At $2.05 a case for Jamison solid head brass, it is not worth the time to make 577/450 from 24 gauge shotgun cases, unless you already have the tooling, skills and free time.

It also take some special precautions to load.

In the heirarchy of things CBC shotgun brass is safer-better than turned brass and not as safe-good as solid head brass.

I can cut and past the whole story, but it's just as simple to send you here to read it. Word of caution about balloon head cases (http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=104563)

Some of the latest Kynoch cases were made by Bertram. Bertram latest runs of Brass are quite good. Some of the old runs of Bertram were very bad.

Jamison has a pledge. They are going to send Bertram packing back to Australia.

Unless Bruce Bertram is incredibly stupid, and I don't think he is, or just ready to retire he won't do anything. If he is smart he will meet the challenge and quit gouging us on the cost of his brass and meet Jamison's challenge

Jamison is good brass, I can't say it is better than the late model Bertram or Kynoch. But it is a darn sight cheaper. You can also get Jamison brass from Ten-X ammunition private branded as Ten-X

Boz330
03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I haven't had any problem with my Bertram brass as far as splitting but it is pretty late production. The big problem is that it is more than twice as much as the Jamison/TenX brass. I think that eventially it will come down even more as more and more of the MHs get out there.

Bob

dromia
03-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Thats interesting Douglas.

When did you last speak to Kynoch?

I was down there last year spending a day on their range, 600 Nitro express not once but twice, and picked up some MH brass and was told categorically that it wasn't Bertram. I'd asked and said if it was Bertram I wasn't interested.

Wonder if they have multiple sources.

I'm glad that Bertram brass is getting better, I'll never buy from them again though, once bitten twice shy.

The Double D
03-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Maybe three four years ago. When Kynoch first came out with the 577/450. I bought some from Kynock. I also bought some from a friend in Australia who had access into the Bertram scrap bucket and it was marked Kynoch and matched perfectly the kynoch acquired perfectly.

The story given at the time was that David Little came down to Bertrams plant and help Bertram straighten out the problems and also furnished Bertram with some new tooling.

There's some other stories about business deals gone bad but I have never seen them from a creditable source.

I have bought several different lots from Kynoch in the intervening years and they all appear to have been made by a different maker. Slightly different head stamps and rim edge form. But all good stuff. The last batch of Bertram I got was good stuff.It has been mentioned before that Kynoch has several different European sources now because of the high cost of shipping form Australia to UK.

This could all be BS, because Kynoch isn't talking and neither is Bertram. But someo fhte evidence seems to support it in part.

The Jamison brass is good stuff. I consider it superior to the Kynoch and Bertram only becasue it is half the cost.

dromia
03-08-2007, 01:46 PM
When I was there last he gave the impression that the brass was eastern european sourced.

The kynoch headstamped .303" brass was from Sellier & Belliot, he was also selling new S&B headstamped .303" primed, he said that the primed cases were cheaper to buy than the unprimed. He made good .303" ammo from them and they were boxer primed too.

The Double D
03-09-2007, 11:27 AM
PPI was supposed be planning to make Martini Brass in one of the old Yugoslav republic.

I don't think Kynoch was using just one source. I have at least two different style Headstamp brass from Kynoch...and at least 20 rounds of the Kynoch I have came from the scrap bucket at Bertram.

dromia
03-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I think I'll have a rake about my stored stock this weekend and see if I can note any headstamp differences.

I'm hoping to give Kynochs another vist early summer on the way to Bisley so I'll see what they say then.

Ross
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Often overlooked is the Horneber works.
Huntington and Cumberland both use(d) them on occasion.
Huntington's Sportsman's Store
HORNEBER CASES (per 20) Headstamps Vary

500-450 NE

450 #2

500-465

475 #2

475 NE

476 WR NE

505 Gibbs

500 Jeffery

500-416

600 NE (10 Pack)

700 N.E.
19.98 ea
Horneber's site shows both the Snider and the M-H as well as many others not on the Huntington list.
. . . 11,4 x 50 R Ägyptisch, .577 Tyrannosaur &cet.
Dangerous Dave told me that the M-H minimum order was too large for his operation.
At one time he and Buzz Huntington regularly made joint purchases in Yerp, and both speak well of Horneber.

Hülsen - Horneber
Shells of any kind - Obsolete to Modern

Dieter Horneber

Siegelsdorfer Str. 34

90768 FÜRTH

GERMANY

Fax: (0049) 0911 / 76 72 49

Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

martinibelgian
03-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I only have 1 complaint with all of those brass manufacturers - will someone PLEASE make some decent #2 Musket - for the moment, Bertram is the only game in town, and the stuff is expensive...
I now have converted 100 from Kynoch once-fired 500/465 NE brass, but that was a tedious job to say the least! Also, it does have a thinner rim, but as this is BN stuff, no real problem there.

Ross
03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
-...will someone PLEASE make some decent #2 Musket -
Is that not the Huntington catalog's Horneber mentioned above?

450 #2

Regards from Darkest California,
Ross

The Double D
03-10-2007, 12:42 AM
I will be sending a Bertram 450 musket #2 to Jamison soon and asking for it to be made.

Jamison said if you have brass you want made that was made by Bertram, send him a case with a bertram head stamp and he will make it.

martinibelgian
03-10-2007, 04:41 AM
-...will someone PLEASE make some decent #2 Musket -
Is that not the Huntington catalog's Horneber mentioned above?

450 #2

Regards from Darkest California,
Ross

Ross,
I was talking of decent-priced stuff, not ripoff-rate!

dromia
03-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Hey Gert,

with the exchange rate the way it is that only works out at two and a half quid a case, add on a bit for postage, import duty and tax, say three quid a case.

A real bargain mate get that credit card out.[smilie=l:

I've an option on an Deeley Edge falling block in No2 Musket at the moment, still dithereing over it, its pricey but worth it. However after buying would I be able to feed it?

dromia
03-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Let us know how much the Jamison No2 brass works out at please Douglas.

The Double D
03-10-2007, 10:43 AM
The U.S. guys are making 450 Musket No.2 it out of 50-110 brass...rumor is they have been supplying it to South Africa

dromia
03-11-2007, 06:05 AM
So someone is selling Jamison No2 Musket brass in SA?

Or is special order rather than retail?

Harry Eales
03-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey Gert,

with the exchange rate the way it is that only works out at two and a half quid a case, add on a bit for postage, import duty and tax, say three quid a case.

A real bargain mate get that credit card out.[smilie=l:

I've an option on an Deeley Edge falling block in No2 Musket at the moment, still dithereing over it, its pricey but worth it. However after buying would I be able to feed it?

Hello Dromia,
If your looking at the same rifle as me, and can afford to buy it, I wouldn't be worried about the price of a few cartridge cases. lol. £7950.00 (US$15,356) isn't small change, even for a very nice Westley Richards target rifle. Sadly it's well out of my league unless I win the lottery.

Harry

dromia
03-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi Harry,

unfortunately I'm not in that league very often myself, the one I'm looking at is over half that price.

The Double D
03-11-2007, 08:12 AM
So someone is selling Jamison No2 Musket brass in SA?

Or is special order rather than retail?

no Jamison isn't as far as i know selling No 2 Musket Brass. But No. 2 Musket can be made from 50-110 brass and starline is making that.

martinibelgian
03-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Adam,
any target rifle WR in #2 Musket is likely to be quite interesting, given a decent bore - the cartridge is a 'sleeper', with trememdous accuracy potential, partially due to the fact that WR cut some decent and tight chambers. FWIW, I used my sporter (you know which one..) in #2 to win the running deer at the Imperial last year - and the new Martini match rifle in #2 is almost ready - just need to have the breechblock blued and the tang sight fitted. I have shot it already, and I have to say that I am expecting quite a lot of it... Suffice to say, the #2 Musket is my all-time favourite BP round.
Brass? I got some once-fired 500/465 NE from Kynoch at 1£ each - a bit of work to convert, true, but still quite a bit less than 3£ each... Of course, starline 50-110 is just about unobtainium here - no surprise :-(

dromia
03-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Gert,

Buffalo Arms are doing Starline 50-110 Win brass at just over £50 a 100.

Now thats more like it.

martinibelgian
03-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Adam,

That may be, but that just doesn't stop me from needing an import license to get it into Belgium - a hassle I would rather be without... lots of red tape, time and frustration, not to mention the cost. OTOH, feel free to have some come over for me next time you order some stuff from them! [smilie=1: I can always pick it up next Imperial.... - or the one after.

dromia
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi Gert

didn't realise that you needed an import license for brass, you don't need it in the UK.

So could i bring it into the UK and then send it to Belgium for you to recieve without an import license as part of EU?

martinibelgian
03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Why, of course, no problem there.... After all,, it's the european common market, no? Sometimes makes you wonder - but then, politicians aren't known for logic. I would even need an import permit for a rifle stock or pistol grips - come to think of it, even for a stock blank if it were identified as such!

Buckshot
03-12-2007, 01:27 AM
..................I wish there were some way we here could help in getting stuff sent overseas at a reasonable price to help out. I've send lube-size dies, and nose punches to Finland, Sweden, and Norway in the USPS small Global envelope and marked as 'Dies' for $4.50. Transit time was maybe 6-8 days.

Of course the small envelope wouldn't hold or protect enough brass to be worthwhile. The big Global envelope isn't anymore sturdily constructed (can be doctored up) but it IS large enough to be worthwhile. No problem getting moulds and stuff up to Canada or to Australia it seems.

...............Buckshot

Boz330
03-12-2007, 09:43 AM
I use to send that stuff as brass extrusions. Not a lie. It just depends on whether they would open it to verify what was in the box.
Sounds to me like picking it up at Beasley is the way to go though. Or if you come to the states to sell some wine you could just pick some up. Might be worth the trip.

Bob

The Double D
03-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah Gert bring wine!!! A good KanonKop Pinotage or Groote Post unoaked Chardonnay is nice to have when you sorting brass from Jamison.

martinibelgian
03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I know, I should make it over once at least, preferably bringing some kind of rifle... and a few bottles of 'grape juice'. An old Kanonkop pinotage is quite nice indeed, even if it can be quite a mouthful when young. and the Groote post wines, well, ... I'm afraid I got you hooked, Douglas :drinks:
Odd indeed, ut I can import brass without any problems from the UK, Germany etc. - but the US? The big NO-NO country, they do send lots of 'improper' stuff, you know...
I'am already grateful to Adam he is willing to help me getting some 577-450 from the group buy. At least, I can picj it up when I come over one one of my Bisley visits...

dromia
03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Gert,

depending on what rifles I buy, I'm looking at a Gahendra as well just now bore is good but the external condition is not worth what he's asking, anyway if I don't get too stupid then I should have another Buffalo Arms order in and here by the Imperial.

I need to stock up on some more 45-70 cases and compression dies and then there are the moulds, they work out at half the price shipped and imported than what they go for retail over here, still that depends on the exchange rate staying the same. So all being well I'll get you, and me some 50-110 Win cases. I need a rifle in No 2 musket. :mrgreen:

Buckshot the best way I ever got stuff from the US was when a pal in the US had a friend stationed over here with the military, the stuff was sent to him forces mail and then I either collected it or he sent it on to me. Rotation of tours meant that came to an end. Still it was good whilst it lasted.

martinibelgian
03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Adam,
FWIW - my latest #2 Musket - but this is a new match rifle:
http://users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/P1010288.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/P1010289.jpg
This is a 'form follows function' rifle - big, long, heavy barrel, no-frills wood - but the 1st shooting tests were quite promising indeed. This one is optimized for the prone LR work, and I hope to compete it next LR Bisley HBSA shoot.
FWIW, have you considered getting some custom moulds? 115€ will get you a mould to your design, made to fit a specific barrel and and chamber. That REALLY makes a difference...

dromia
03-13-2007, 02:51 AM
That is a beauty Gert, a real beauty.

What sights are you putting on her?

Can't wait to see her shoot. :-D

I've already emailed Barry Darr about some stuff, thanks.

martinibelgian
03-13-2007, 05:48 AM
Adam,
the rear will be a Holbrook Dr. Goodwin tang sight - just because I still have one lying around. The front actually is a take-off from a BSA 12/15... more specifically, an AJ Parker sight, picked up at the Bisley trade fair for a few pounds (yes, I can be cheap sometimes - but the sights are quite good, and lots of inserts available...) Glad you like it - 'Maybe I could let you have a go next time at Bisley...

dromia
03-14-2007, 05:23 PM
I'll look forward to that Gert.

You've got my thinking however, maybe I should make up my own No2 Musket calibre Martini.

Who did the barrel for you?

Bigjohn
03-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Adam,
FWIW - my latest #2 Musket - but this is a new match rifle:
http://users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/P1010288.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/Gert.Claes1/P1010289.jpg
This is a 'form follows function' rifle - big, long, heavy barrel, no-frills wood - but the 1st shooting tests were quite promising indeed. This one is optimized for the prone LR work, and I hope to compete it next LR Bisley HBSA shoot.
FWIW, have you considered getting some custom moulds? 115€ will get you a mould to your design, made to fit a specific barrel and and chamber. That REALLY makes a difference...

OH!, you certainly know how to make a fellow jealous. :mrgreen:
That is one lovely piece of work.

The saddest part is, that even with an interest in these types of Rifles; to find someone downunder to do that sort of work is difficult.

The action colour looks very good; who did the work? Who made the barrel?

I have an action awaiting inspiration and the right accessories to hang off it.

:drinks:

John.

martinibelgian
03-15-2007, 03:24 AM
John,
This is actually pretty straightforward - the barrel is made by Ueli Eichelberger, Switzerland. I purchased it a a cylindrical blank, and it was just trued on the lathe to get it perfectly concentric, then threaded and mounted on the (bog-standard) Martini receiver. But I am sure there are decent barrelmakers in Oz, no? You just need a good barrel, it doesn't have to be a badger or whatever - other barrels also shoot well.
The Case-hardening job? No idea, when I purchased the original rifle, it was already like that. Front sight? Pick up some BSA match sight, like the PH front of a BSA 12/15. You can modify the existing extractor, so that's no problem... You will need to buy a tang sight, of course.
The only delicate bit is you need a 'smith you can trust, who is kinda familiar with martini's - I learned that the hard way... But I would imagine that you have quite a few 'smith in Oz specialized in the cadet conversions - this is a big cadet.
As to the wood, the buttstock can be purchased like that, 95% inletted, from Treebone Carving, US. He can also supply you a forend, should you want to.
Finishing the wood is something you can do yourself better, if you are wiling to put in the time - you are not under any economical constraints, like a gunsmith. I put on this rifle a CCL english oil finish - takes a lot of time, but sets off the grain quite well, and even a rather plain piece of walnut will look good. FWIW, this is a 'normal' grade of (english) walnut for the buttstock, not even semi-fancy. The forend was 'home-made'....

Bad Ass Wallace
03-15-2007, 07:16 AM
John,
Sunshine Coast Gunsmiths (Queensland) do some really incredible color case hardening jobs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/44spl_C.jpg

He also builds some of the most beautiful BPCR rifles I've ever seen. One that comes to mind is a big Comblain in 577/450. He told me that it shoots exceptionally well with a barrel made by Sprinter Arms of Harndorf in SA. These folks will make round or octagonal up to 36 inches.

Boz330
03-15-2007, 09:32 AM
There you go John, all it takes is $$$$$. There are so many possibilities for the Martini action that it boggles the mind, especially in the BPCs. I would like to attempt one of these sporters but I have 2 Cadets that aren't finished as well as a 58 Hawkin rifle, oh and a couple Colt 1911s. This having to work for a living sucks. On the other hand if I didn't I wouldn't have money to buy projects. That settles it I need to win the Lottery.

Bob
PS Nice gun Gert!

martinibelgian
03-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the compliment - and I do intend to put it to good use. And you're right - it takes money - not only money, but also good judgment of the people you are dealing with. I met Ueli Eichelberger for the 1st time in SA, at the world championships - he not only makes barrels, but he shoots them too - and well, I might add...
And as to my 'smith, he is a BPCR nut like me, so for him it was more like a labor of love - he even let me do a few of the things, like chambering the barrel. I learned a lot... I went all-out for accuracy with this one, down to a custom chambering reamer. I know the barrel is top quality too, and the Martini action, well, no need to praise it. Now the rest is down to the nut behind...
Bottom line is - it is not really hard to make a good rifle. But it does take a lot of precious time to do everything right, so all those good 'smiths have my sincere respect, as IMO they don't get paid for the time and care they put into a rifle. OTOH, there are also quite a few that are seriously overpaid....

Bigjohn
03-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Knowing who to obtain the appropiate needs from has been the slow down on this project and you are correct, we are not subjected to the same time constraints as a Gunsmith.

B.A.W., I knew of MAB and Sprinter; I have several of Sprinters either on other firearms or being fitted as we type. The Late H. T. (Trevor) Bugg was also well known for his barrels. Before he passed away, he sold off his equipment and the person (Name escapes me at present) who bought them is concentrating on the mold production at present.

Timber is something that can be an indivdual preference; Ocassionaly some 'Box' becomes available locally with good but plain type figure and sound enough for stock making.

I am not in a hurry to complete the project but I do want to do it right.
Gert (if I may be so bold as to use your name), I hope the rifle proves it self well for the effort that appears to have been put in to it. Enjoy, and thank you for talking about it further.
I hope I can do my action as much justice as you have done for yours.

John.

martinibelgian
03-19-2007, 03:44 AM
Update - 1st outing withe the rifle at the local range.

The 1st step after finishing a rifle is to fireform some brass, so I prepared some loads just for that purpose. I basically used some leftover components as this is basically fireforming, so...

Load details as follows:
Bertram and Kynoch formed brass, unfired.
A primer mix of leftovers, all large rifle
80gr volume equivalent of TPPH British BP, 1992 vintage (or the same volume as 80grs of Swiss 1 1/2Fg), topped by a card wad.
Lyman Postell bullet (457132), with different lubes, from different lots.

All shooting prone, unsupported with sling at 78m at the ISU 25m pistol target.

I shot a 1st target to zero the sights, and then decided to shoot a target for accuracy with the last 12 shots, as accuracy seemed quite promising - this got me my 2nd best score ever at that range, even taking into account that a normal match target is 13 shots, 10 best to count... FWIW, the target scored 98/100 (4x9, 8x10)
Will it shoot? Absolutely! Now I know why #2 Musket is my favourite BP cartridge... And of course it will also prove that BN BP rounds will shoot well, and don't require a Phd in reloading to get them to perform (remember a previous discussion some time back?).
I basically threw together some components, mixed cases, lubes and primers, and still got match grade accuracy while fireforming my brass. Now, if that isn't 'easy accuracy', then nothing is...

seawolfjack
03-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I have a Snider-Enfield that I pick up a while back. I looked into brass and it's expensive so I did the 24 Ga way. I first cut the brass down to 2 inches I then made myself a resizing die from an old lawn airator, they are hard steel and work very well. I annell my brass and then slowly work it up through the die using a piece of steel rod inside the brass so it doesn't colapse the neck. These shells use LG pistol primers and I started off with 55 gr of Pyrodex Cartridge powdwe FG. I used 2 felt wads over the top of the powder. I then filled the remaining area with cornmeal. Used a 20GA slug at 350 gr sized down to fit my rifling. After I found out how the sights were going to work I put 9 rounds on an ArmyL target out of 15 rounds at 100 yards. Just the other day loaded up some 70 gr the same way will let you know how it was.
Good Shooting

Buckshot
03-30-2007, 03:42 AM
..............seawolfjack, a hearty welcome to the board!!

.............Buckshot

dromia
03-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi there Seawolfjack :-D

What Mk Snider you shooting?

seawolfjack
03-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the welcome Buckshot and everyone else. Really enjoy this site. I really don't know what kind of Snider it is. It's a short rifle only has 2 barrel bands no markings on the outside of the lock plate. The rear sight is set back further than ones on the Towers. One mark looks like the Crysanthamum on Japanese rifles. Picked it up for $20 and had to fix a couple things. Needed new firing pin and spring in the back of the indent ball. Other than that just a real good cleaning.
Thanks again, seawolfjack