PDA

View Full Version : A way around tire shop excuses.

leadbutt
11-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Im starting to save all my fe and zn WWs in a separate 5gal bucket. When it gets full imma walk right into the big chain store that has the most excuses for why they cant part with their WWs and get them to just switch out bucket for bucket. they wouldnt be losing anything right? Wonder what the excuse would be then. Then again excuses are like.......

L. Bottoms

kelbro
11-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Now that sounds like a brilliant idea.

TheGrimReaper
11-18-2011, 12:33 AM
I like it!!!

max range
11-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Worth a try.

sav300
11-18-2011, 07:47 AM
A box of donuts on top to distract em?Maybe they forget their excuses?

skytex
11-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah, let us know how that works out.

bumpo628
11-18-2011, 11:44 AM
I've been saving mine steel weights for this very reason. Sadly, I've got about 250 lbs so far.
Let us know how it works out.

TNFrank
11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Can you even lift a 5gal bucket of WW's? Good idea though. Long as they've got something to turn in I don't see why they'd care if it was "good" lead weights or "crappy" fe/zn weights.

leadbutt
11-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Can you even lift a 5gal bucket of WW's?

I can but afterward i have to pop my back into place then fold up and tuck my groin back in.

Carolina Cast Bullets
11-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Tommy Lift on the truck, no problem LOL

gandydancer
11-19-2011, 12:03 AM
NEVER EVER TELL anyone at the garage/tire dealer you want the wheel weights for bullets its for ballaist in a boat or lead sinkers. a lie yes.( a little one) but if you say BULLETS! you become lower then chester the molester. as you go north it gets worse. remember sinkers. GD

bryonbush
11-19-2011, 11:33 PM
NEVER EVER TELL anyone at the garage/tire dealer you want the wheel weights for bullets its for ballaist in a boat or lead sinkers. a lie yes.( a little one) but if you say BULLETS! you become lower then chester the molester. as you go north it gets worse. remember sinkers. GD

funny you say that because for me its the exact opposite. i usually have a few laying around some where and when i show them what it comes out to be, and the process involved, it usually works for my advantage.

plmitch
11-20-2011, 12:16 AM

I will agree with this. The first mention of lead use for boolits around some of the shops just puts them off.” Fishing weights” have worked better for me for the most part.

DukeInFlorida
11-20-2011, 12:32 PM
We have a couple of "roundy round" race tracks here in Maine.

I've heard guys ask for lead for their race cars............. Guess they put it on inside of the car somehow to act as a counter balance.

So, maybe a good suggestion would be to sound like a race car builder, and ask for lead for your car.

WILCO
11-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Cast a few sinkers and it's not a lie then......[smilie=s:

Jaybird62
11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
I use the Zn to cast pyramid sinkers for a tire shop owner who likes to fish. No problem getting wheel weights from him.

Jeffrey
11-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I have two sinker moulds. One is a bank sinker mould I pour unknown alloy into, and get $4.00 / lb, and a split shot mould. I trade split shot for all the stained glass came I can smelt.

3006guns
11-21-2011, 09:31 AM
One of the local tire shop managers here is a pompous, self assured jerk. I asked about purchasing some tire weights and got this for an answer:

"We aren't allowed to sell to the general public, only to a licensed scrap dealer. Lead is classified as a hazardous material you know........."

At that point I'd about had enough of this nonsense. I knew I wouldn't be getting any lead from this guy so I decided to have a bit of fun with him. I politely asked him to show me IN PRINT any regulation or doctrine that stated lead was to be treated as hazardous. His reply was that I could "take his word for it". I told him that wasn't good enough, and now I DEMAND to see any MSDS sheets in his posession showing his statements to be true. He stood there with a blank look on his face for a moment, then floored me with "Would you give me .30 a lb. for it?"

I got half a five gallon bucket of decent material and have established a new source. He's also not quite as pompous with me any more.............:mrgreen:

izzyjoe
11-21-2011, 01:07 PM
i've used the line about wanting it for Race Cars, cause that's what we did use them for when i was building race cars. we melted it down and poured it into special ingot mold that we made, they were pretty close to 50lb. when done. then we could place the weight were we needed it the most, at the back of the car for balast.

WHITETAIL
11-25-2011, 10:18 AM
You guys are right as far as race cars are conserned.
I have a few race car drivers here in Ne. Pa..
And if they need some lead I give them some.
Because a lot of times they give it back later.
Some of the guys got out of car raceing, and
I got all of the lead they had.:2gunsfiring_v1:

Bad Water Bill
11-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I can appreciate your safety concerns sir. I just want to use your used weights to cast LEAD HAMMERS.

I have a mould that should be available shortly and have cast hammers before. The nice thing about the lead hammers is if you miss your target lead is so soft if will NOT damage the threads on an axle or any steel rim you have to apply force to free from the car.

Yes sir I DO sell the lead hammers at $$$$ each. If you are interested I will make you a SPECIAL DEAL.

Now you can order the mould as you have the lead and some orders. Next go to the next tire shop and offer LEAD HAMMERS for sale. You will have a good supply of lead coming in as well as a way of making some MONEY to buy more boolit moulds.

:drinks:Problem solved.:drinks:

leadbutt
11-25-2011, 03:21 PM
That sounds like a good idea as well. Who is selling the molds?

Jim
11-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Dirt track racin' is popular here and most of the tire shops are involved in it in one way or another. I lucked up making friends with an auto shop owner that handloads and shoots. He doesn't cast, though. I make boolits for him and get all the WWs that pile up by the balancin' machine.

I've noticed, in the last year or so, There's a lot more Fe an Zn than there used to be. A lot more stick-ons, too.

a.squibload
11-27-2011, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=3006guns;1471532]
...now I DEMAND to see any MSDS sheets in his posession showing his statements to be true.

I like your style!

badbob454
11-28-2011, 02:54 AM
i found with a positive attitude and a 12 pack of beer on friday @ 430 i bring an empty clean bucket and ask if they have a full bucket of wwt's and ill swap them a bucket and beer for it , boy mechanics like their beer at the end of the week ... ( im an ex mechanic too ) works well they like to see me coming now