PDA

View Full Version : Casting with tennis elbow pain

Jailer
11-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Ok, there has to be others besides me who have had a bout of tennis elbow. It's been bugging me for about 2 months or so now. I've been taking it real easy trying to get past this only doing what is necessary to try and keep from aggravating the injury.

I got a new mold from accurate that I wanted to try out. Thing is I've been putting off casting for a while now due to the pain in my left elbow since that's the hand I use to hold my molds. Well I couldn't resist and I cast up about 300 boolits 2 nights ago and I'm paying for it now. By the time I was done I could barely hold the empty mold up with one hand it hurt so bad.

Man I want to go out to the garage and cast so bad but I can't due to the pain. Is there anything that can be done to help this heal faster?

tomme boy
11-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Go to drug store or WalMart and get the elbo brace for it. It seems to really help me. Just make sure to wear it all the time when you are up and moving around. I take mine off when I sleep. Seems to help after a couple of days of wearing it. Mine flares up every couple of months lately.

runfiverun
11-17-2011, 11:03 PM
don't hold the mold so much.
i built a little wooden metal covered [with an old baking pan] box to set my molds on while pouring and waiting for the sprue.
i go from there to the table to open the mold then flip it over to drop the boolits.

afish4570
11-17-2011, 11:05 PM
If I use my Lee Bottom Pouring furnace I usually do pretty good for over 1200 or more pistol bullets. The ladle method raises H...with me so I try not to aggavate it. Rest an not casting for a month or two and mine goes away. Just my experience.afish4570:sad::sad:

Kraschenbirn
11-17-2011, 11:14 PM
+1 on the elbow brace. I use a "Mueller" sleeve-type that I picked up at Walgreen's. Another thing I've found to help minimize discomfort...my problem's carpal tunnel syndrome rather than "tennis elbow"...is to take regular breaks. Cast 15-20 minutes, top off the pot, take off my gloves, and rest a few minutes while the melt comes back up to casting temp.

Bill

11-18-2011, 12:03 AM
At one time, I, too, suffered from "tennis elbow". No doubt, some of you will scoff and doubt me, but a copper bracelet relieved my discomfort and pain. Whether it's fact, fiction, a myth, an old wives' tale, or all in my head, I don't care.

Additionally, it's eliminated those nagging lower back pains.

geargnasher
11-18-2011, 12:17 AM
I use a block under the bottom pour to support the mould, rest it on the edge of the bench to cut the sprue (by hand), then use both hands to turn the mould and dump the boolits. I generally don't handle any mould with only one hand unless I have to, hands hurt all the time due to carpal tunnel syndrome and the beginnings of what the docs have now decided is osteo-arthritis.

Gear

edler7
11-18-2011, 12:22 AM
I had a bout of it a couple years ago. It got to the point that even holding a full can of beer or soda made it hurt. Get a tennis elbow compression band and wear it, it really helps. What I found strange was aspirin didn't help, motrin didn't help, aleve didn't help, but Tylenol would completely shut off the pain...so try different pain relevers- you might find one that works.

I finally figured out what was causing my problem- it was my computer chair with arms. The way I was resting my arm on the armrest was what was doing it. I took the arm off my chair and my elbow cleared up in a week or so. Be observant in some little things like that, you may find the source of your problem.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-18-2011, 01:03 AM
+1 on the elbow compression band or brace and resting the joint.Some of the painkillers/lesseners mentioned in the previous post usually work to various extent with most people. There is yet another one marketed by Walmart under their "Equate" brand, called Napraxen Sodium. Its over the counter stuff, but you have to pay attention to the instructions for taking it so you don't get into an OD situation. It is a fever reducer as well. It is rated for 8 hour relief. LLS

tomme boy
11-18-2011, 01:07 AM
The Equate Napraxen is a generic Aleave.

bobthenailer
11-18-2011, 08:49 AM
The best tennis elbow support are the ones with a removable small soft plastic pillow insert filled with air to isolate the tendon . the brand i know of is AIRCAST but they are sold at wallie world for about $10.00. they have worked excellent for alot of my friends as well as myself.
I still use mine when hammering and on large quanties of ammo loaded or lube / sizing are to be done. as i can just feel it just a tad when not useing the band and dont ever want to get it back as it took me quite some time to heal as i had to use my arm muscles alot to do my work
it would not compleatly heal but when my company closed i was laid off for 4 mounths and then by not useing it healed compleatly and that was over 10 years ago.

dragonrider
11-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Tie a 1" wide strap around your forearm 2.5 inches below your elbow. If it has velcro it will work better.

1Shirt
11-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Have same problem with left arm (I am right handed). Tight velcro secured band from Walgreens just below the elbow helps during casting sessions. Aleieve (sp) works for me! This getting old just ain't for sissies folks!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

JeffinNZ
11-18-2011, 03:37 PM
I agree on the elbow strap but that is only going to support you. You ideally need to get some advice and physio to correct the issue. I had TE a couple of years back and beat it with massage and strengthening exercises. I also believe the fish oil I take daily has helped. The TE started to come back recently at work and after my work station was assessed and fixed I have come right again.

Jailer
11-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I tried some Tylenol today for the pain. I usually don't bother with the stuff since it doesn't do a thing for me. As expected, no help at all.

I'm headed off to Wally World to look for a brace or band to see if that helps.

arjacobson
11-18-2011, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=tomme boy;1467872]Go to drug store or WalMart and get the elbo brace for it. It seems to really help me. Just make sure to wear it all the time when you are up and moving around. I take mine off when I sleep. Seems to help after a couple of days of wearing it. Mine flares up every couple of months lately. Plus one on this. I hurt my elbow bad this summer and ended up using a thing called a band-it? Worked good but took a few weeks to come around. I couldn't even squeeze the mold in my left hand because it hurt so much..

btroj
11-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I tried some Tylenol today for the pain. I usually don't bother with the stuff since it doesn't do a thing for me. As expected, no help at all.

I'm headed off to Wally World to look for a brace or band to see if that helps.

Tylenol is no near as effective for that kind of pain as something like Motrin or Aleve.

The Velcro band will help but the advice to limit time holding the mold in one hand is the key. Ultimately you need to find a way to cast that puts less strain on the muscles and tendons involved. Prevention is always your best bet.

Jailer
11-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Tylenol is no near as effective for that kind of pain as something like Motrin or Aleve.

The Velcro band will help but the advice to limit time holding the mold in one hand is the key. Ultimately you need to find a way to cast that puts less strain on the muscles and tendons involved. Prevention is always your best bet.

This was the first time I've cast since it set in. I haven't really been able to do much of anything with my left arm due to the pain. Even simple things like lifting a glass to drink hurt. I just couldn't stand waiting any longer and had to try out the mold.

I'm paying for it now.

gandydancer
11-19-2011, 01:17 AM
when I cast I always use at least 2 molds some times 3 molds, I lead one. set it down. on tin sheet. pick up next mold lead that one. set it down on sheet. pick up 1st mold drop bullets in water. lead that mold again. set on tin sheet pick 2nd mold up drop bullets in water. lead mold again. so on and so on. moving the arm around seems to hurt much less. but that just might be me. GD:groner:

MtGun44
11-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Maybe give up tennis? :kidding::bigsmyl2:

Why no mention of aspirin? IME, aspirin is FAR, FAR more effective than Tylenol or
Aleve. The naproxen (Aleve) class can cause heart damage, too. Tylenol about 3 times
the max dose will destroy your liver. It has no serious side effects if taken with food or the enteric
coated stuff is used. One minor (maybe not so minor to some) side effect of very large
aspirin doses for long periods can be ringing in the ears. Of course, I already have
ringing in the ears from childhood ear infections, shooting for years with no hearing protection
and flying small aircraft for decades.

Bill