PDA

View Full Version : lee double disk kit

edsmith
11-17-2011, 10:23 PM
I just got a double disk kit, what are the 2 sheet metal screws for? I have no idea.also there is about .024 gap between the disk and hopper, is this normal. thanks guys

hiram
11-17-2011, 11:17 PM
The 2 screws should be longer than the ones being used now. When you double up on the disks, you need the longer screws to attach the hopper to the base. The gap might allow small kernels of powder to leak through onto the base. I seem to have got rid of this problem by carefully sanding the bottom of the hopper with a sheet of fine sandpaper on a flat surface. If you do this, don't do too much without checking for fit.

edsmith
11-17-2011, 11:28 PM
the kit comes with 4 screws, 2 for the hopper, and 2 long sheet metal screws. the instructions are useless.

lead-1
11-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Ed, I think the two screws that are pointed sheet metal screws are for putting the double disk kit on the old style square hoppers that the screws go up into the hopper.

The two pan head type screws are for putting the double disk kit on the newer style pro auto disk hopper that the screws go down thru the hopper and have brass thumb screws to tighten it down. This is the tubular hopper that you can rotate and cut off the powder to the disks.

Oh, here is a picture, the two on the outside take the sheet metal screws and the round one in the middle take the pan head screws.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/96984d77faa2616a7.jpg

Cowboy T
11-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Lead-1 is correct. I use the Double-Disk Kit on my Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure for a ".45 Colt Magnum" load.

Which powder measure do you have--the original Auto-Disk or the Pro Auto-Disk?

edsmith
11-19-2011, 01:43 AM
I have the pro auto disk. for the gap, I am going to make new spacers for it, to get rid of the gap.lead-1 you are right about the screws, thanks for the photo. the lee instructions suck.