PDA

View Full Version : BPCR iron sights for target & hunting

texasmac
11-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Selling heavy -barrel BPC rifles to target shooters, SASS/CAS shooters and even a few "stand hunters", I get numerous requests for my recommendations on the best sights to purchase. As most of you know, there's no one ideal sight to use for all these applications. I usually refer buyers to the following article and thought some of you may find the information interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_sight

Wayne

NickSS
11-18-2011, 07:39 AM
It's a good article thanks but I have long since made up my mind as to sights for hunting. First I do not use the same rifles for hunting as I do for BPCR match shooting and they have different sights on them. For BPCR I like a gun as heavy as I can get it and still meet weight limits. This it to minimize wear and tear on me during a match that I will shoot something between 50 and 100 rounds or more at. But for hunting I like my rifle to be as light as practicable and fitted with sights that will not get knocked out of service too easily. My single shot 45-70 hunting gun as a result has a 28 inch barrel and weighs less than 9 pounds. My 50-70 single shot weighs about 8.5 pounds and has a 26 inch barrel. Both are fitted with barrel sights and a tang sight. The barrel sights are zeroed for 100 yards and I know the hold under for closer ranges and hold over for ranges out to 150 yards. The tang sight which in both cases are Marbles ones that has windage adjustments are zeroed by me for 200 yards and I know the hold under and over so that I can make hits between 150 and 225 yards. This has proved to be a fine combination for deer and elk hunting.

Chakta
11-27-2011, 10:57 PM
I found this article to be very enlightning to those who really don't know the pro's and con's of various iron sights for shooting a rifle etc. The illustrations are very easy to follow and I am sure many can take advantage of those facts.

I myself use apeture sights on my BP target rifles but like the V-notch for hunting purposes. I have express sights on my 500-Jeffery and Winchester's fixed sight on my .458-Lott Winchester model 70 rifle. [smilie=s:

Lead pot
11-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Wayne

I agree with Nick with using a rifle for hunting and one for target.
If one cant afford two rifles then maybe having the rifle set up for using two different sights. and learning how to use them and learning the sight settings for hunting purposes were one dont have the time to get out a book to look up sight range settings.
For hunting it is very hard to beat the ladder and the blade sights for all light conditions if one cant mount a scope.
I prefer the Lawrence sight, it has three known settings. One with the ladder down two with the ladder up with out moving the slide up or down. Actually you can have three with the ladder up with just one quick change of the slide you dont even have to look at it when you push it to the bottom.
But again you have to know your rifle what the point of impact at those four particular ranges.
Then you also have the rest of the slide you can pre mark the ladder or use the scales on it for different ranges past 1000 yards if you want.

Don McDowell
11-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree with leadpot on the laddersights for hunting. Much quicker and easier to get the sights changed to accomidate the distance.
You can also shoot some pretty decent scores at gong matches by using a "soule" type sight and the blade front. Might even be able to shoot some half way decent paper scores at midrange with that same set up.
I like the use the same rifle for both approach. That way there's no problems with unfamiliarity of the rifle and load.