PDA

View Full Version : Wano Pow-Ex

Hednign
11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
I have been using Swiss and the Wano P-series in all my black powder firearms. The Swiss is like 15% "stronger" than the Wano P serie... Now, Iv been told that Wano`s F-serie, also called the "Wano Sporting powder" is better than the P serie. And to make the confusion total I heard about Wano "Pow-Ex" today.

Is there someone in here that has any knowledge about the Wano P serie vs the Wano Sporting serie vs Wano Pow-Ex??? I would like to find out if any of them could get closer to the Swiss than the P series. Wano is half the price over here. Swiss is an arm and a leg....

NickSS
11-17-2011, 06:47 AM
The only Wano powder that I have tried is Shutzen and I like the stuff a lot I never heard of the others but then I do not buy a lot of powder these days as I am still using up stuff I bought 10 years ago.

bigted
11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
just wanted to drop this...NICKSS has powder that is ten years old that he is still shooting.......try this with the new fangled smokless without a climate control storage. i have still around 15 pounds of cartridge goex that is still going strong and i store it outside in a plastic cooler keeping it dry....pretty cool i say!!! pun intended...it is -40 here now so my stuff outside is safe for another winter. safe from me dickin with it that is.....brrrrr!

NickSS
11-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Thats noting I have shot powder that was over a hundred years old and it worked as good as new. It was powder that I salvaged from a 9 inch cannon ball my Brother in Law in Georgia found in a sand dune near the ocean. We set carefully removed the fuse that was made of copper and screwed out after cleaning up the outside and soaking the fuse it penetrating oil and dumped the contents of the shell. We got several pounds of BP out of it that looked like about FG. I shot it all off in a ML rifle. I do not know if I would mess with something like that today but I was young and stupid back then.

bigted
11-23-2011, 05:04 PM
i hear the " young n stupid " thing. i dont know where in the 'northwest' you are but i spent a bunch of years living in the northwest myself. born in coos bay and doomed to logging for a living the first bunch of years i lived there. done some very stupid things in the line of havin fun.

only a mossy footed feller would understand i recon.

Hang Fire
11-28-2011, 11:28 PM
The only Wano powder that I have tried is Shutzen and I like the stuff a lot I never heard of the others but then I do not buy a lot of powder these days as I am still using up stuff I bought 10 years ago.

Graf and Sons BP is identical to the Shutzen powder, made in the same plant, just put in different containers, and the Graf is cheaper.

cajun shooter
11-30-2011, 04:19 PM
The new lot of KIK is getting a lot of positive reports from several members and might require a look see.

Hednign
12-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Back in 2008 I heard a story about an American civil war collector. He had a lot of old cannon balls in his collection. He too had to remove a fuse or two. But the last cannon ball he found blew him up and scattered him arround a wide area. That ball was found in a marsh up in Wisconsin.

Well.. back to the Wano powder. I did some testing through a chrono. I made a volum measure that held 70 grs of Swiss no 4. Loaded 5 casings using Swiss, 5 using Wano 2P Jagdschwarz and 5 using Wano 2F Sporting powder... Test rifle, Springfield mod 84. 500 grs bullet.

So all rounds held the same volume of powder. However, the Wano 2P is a little heavier than Swiss. 3% heavier. Wano sporting powder had the same weight as the Swiss.

The big difference between them is the velocity. The Swiss made 1265 fs, Wano 2P: 1103 fs and Wano 2F Sporting: 1090 fs. The grain size in the Wano P serie is very uniform. The Wano Sporting has a wider span.

The Swiss is known to foul a lot less, but leaves a rather dry and hard fouling. The Wano P powder leaves more fouling, but is soft.... I was suprised to see that the Wano sporting powder leaves very little fouling, soft fouling.

Another thing about the Sporting powder is that its not that easy to compress like Wano P powders. Its easy to get 80 grs under the 500 grs bullet using Wano 2P. But it did not work using the Wano sporting. The brass got "pregnant" and would not fit the chamber.

IMO the Wano Sporting is a better powder than the Wano P serie. Just because it make less fouling. The muzzleloading guys in our BP club says that the Sporting serie gives a better ignition. They claim that the smaller grain sizes falls to the bottom and therefor gives a better burning process. I dont know, maybe.

A few days ago I reloaded a few more rounds using Wano 2P and Wano 2F Sporting. Same cartridge, only fired through a Highwall. The Wano Sporting made the best groupings. 1.5" at 100m. More testing have to be done before I can say "amen".

Have a great day all

Bad Ass Wallace
12-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Wano P series is what I use in all my large calibre guns. Swiss No2 (3F) in the fast twist Pedersoli 38/55.

If you wish to boost velocity in the 45/70 or larger, buy a can of Wano 7A; this is a flash powder and much faster burning than any other black available including 4FG. I am getting over 1300fps in the 50/70 using 7gn 7A under 65gn 2P Wano and the 450gn boolit.

2.5gns of 7A is also a 100% reliable igniter in the pan of my 50cal flintlock.

Hednign
12-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Now that is something to try. Thank you for the advice. One drawback to it though. I would have to order 25 kg of it as they do not have 7a in stock. They will not ship just a few cans from Germany and up here..... However, if it works I would get rid of it easily. A lot of shooters would like to convert from the Swiss as it is very expensive.