PDA

View Full Version : Bear fat

VA Shooter
11-16-2011, 07:56 AM
I have a friend that killed a black bear and the fat on it is the slickest stuff I have seen lube recipes that call for lard in it I was wondering if I could use bear fat

bowfin
11-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Bear fat rendered into lard should work as well or better than regular lard.

I am basing this opinion on the fact that my great aunt says that bear fat can reach a higher temperature before it starts to smoke, as compared to normal lard. She swore by bear lard for making light, fluffy doughnuts because she could cook them at a higher temperature.

Then again, how much science transfers from doughnut making to shooting cast boolits is pure conjecture at this point.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-16-2011, 11:26 AM
I use it whenever I can get it for lubing M/L patches. It is great in a traditional M/L mixture. Be very careful rendering the fat so that it is not burned.

BvT

waksupi
11-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Much better to use it for cooking,than to waste it for lube. Every thing you bake with it is light and fluffy.

swheeler
11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Much better to use it for cooking,than to waste it for lube. Every thing you bake with it is light and fluffy.

And when you render it down the cracklins are a good snack, just add a pinch of salt.

10 ga
11-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Dittos " " for waksupi and swheeler. Much better for cooking than for loob. Just use deer or sheep tallow for loob if you want natural. The bear fat is really great for cooking and back in the day, 16th 17th and 18th centuries, bear fat, tallow, and grease was even more valuable than beaver pelts. It was considered the EVOO of it's day. 10 ga

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
i use venison tallow , but there is a product called bumblin bear grease that is a bear fat bees wax black powder lube.

bslim
11-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Bear fat is also very good for external skin disorders

cajun shooter
11-22-2011, 09:57 AM
The pure form of tallow that comes from the kidney area of sheep is the most refined tallow to use for bullet lube. It will outlast all other tallow's such as deer tallow which will turn rancid if not kept properly.Later David