PDA

View Full Version : Lee versus other molds

Timberghozt
02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I am a novice caster.I am casting for one specific bullet at the moment .I am using a Lee mold for a 357 with the 158 gr SWC bullet.Works great in my Blackhawk..
My question is,why is Lee so much cheaper than other molds?Are they substandard compared to expensive molds?
I am an experienced handloader and I use RCBS or Redding dies simply because I like the quality and will pay more than for Lee dies..but does this make a big difference in molds?

mooman76
02-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Lee mould are just made cheaper. With care they can last a real long time.

arkypete
02-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Well Timber, Glad to met you, I'm the resident anti Lee troll.
I've not had any luck with Lee molds, they either don't work well for me or they fall apart.
I still have and use the first Lyman mold that I ever bought 30 some odd years ago. I have a number of NEI aluminum molds that produce great bullets. So I don't think it's aluminum molds is the problem.
If you can try a Saeco mold of the same caliber and weight and you be the judge. I like Saeco molds so much that I buy pairs of four cavity just I can produce bunchs of bullets.
I have a plain base 150 grain 357/38 four cavity that I really like, but my go to mold for 357 is a 140 grain Saeco SWC.
Jim

454PB
02-17-2007, 09:52 PM
If your interest and needs expand, you will probably want to try some other brands, although with proper use and care, the Lee's will cast many thousands of boolits. Obviously they are mass produced using stamped handles, peened pins, and other inexpensive components.

I own a lot of Lee moulds, and an equal number of other brands. I haven't ruined any of them yet. The aluminum moulds are easier to damage, so they can't be hammered on or dropped and expected to last very long. Of course I don't do that to my steel moulds either.

44man
02-17-2007, 11:35 PM
The good thing about Lee molds is the price and they do have some great boolit designs. I have never had accuracy problems.

Sundogg1911
02-18-2007, 12:51 AM
I used to be anti_Lee. my first mold was a Lee and it fell apart in my hands. recently I tried a few of the 6-cavity molds, and I was impressed. I'm not ready to throw out my Lyman, RCBS, or Hensley &Gibbs moulds, but I think for the money the 6 cavity moulds seem well made, and cast some nice looking boolits.

ammohead
02-18-2007, 03:51 AM
Tg,

Lee is an excellent mould to get started with. If you want to try something different they make several different styles in the popular diameters. On the other hand if you are going to shoot a particular style ALOT then it may pay to get the same style and weight in a higher quality mould. I tend to wear lee moulds out. I haven't thrown one away yet but I have some that might be getting close. RCBS and Lyman moulds as well as others a bit more $ really hold up for the long run.

I still buy Lee when I get a new caliber or want to try a different style of bullet.

ammohead

44man
02-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Using a Lee mold is like using a single action that you want to shoot forever without wearing it out. The proper lube in the right places and cock the gun slowly instead of snatching back the hammer.
Clean up the sprue plate so it doesn't tear up the top of the blocks, de-burr the cavities so the boolits fall out so you don't have to beat on the handles and close them easy. Cutting the sprue, use a bunch of gentle taps with wood or twist them off with good gloves.
I think you will find the Lee will last a long, long time.
I have ruined a few Lee molds by trying to change the boolit before I started making my own molds, no big loss! I have never worn one out or had one break from normal casting.
I don't really know if they are the best mold for a beginner! They do take some fiddling. By reading all the posts here, a fella can do what needs to be done though.
Timberghozt has come to the right place!

Timberghozt
02-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey Fellas.I appreciate your thoughts.I want to keep using the 158 gr SWC design for my Ruger BlackHawk.It shoots them really well...Almost too well,people don`t beleive I shot the 25 yard groups I did with a cast bullet..

I want a mold for my 32-20, a 45 long Colt mold for my Colt Lightning reproduction and one for my 45-70 Marlin 1895.I think I will start looking at the more expensive molds.I don`t like stuff that is weak or breaks easily..
Again,thanks for the replies fellas.This is a super great board with enough knowledge of casting to boggle ones mind..
Gene

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Gene,

Before you go looking at more expensive molds, you might want to check out the group buy forum and note how many of the six gang Lee molds are bought as group buys on the forum. I think you'll find the six gangers are quite good molds, hold up well with reasonable handling and are inexpensive. Plus you can get a lot of custom made bullet molds that way.

Regards,

Dave

Timberghozt
02-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey Dave..Thanks for the tip.I will check out the group buy molds!!
Gene

jballs918
02-18-2007, 02:04 PM
gene one thing that you may want to keep in mind is that alot times that with the lees that you can get 2 to 3 or even 4 molds for the price of one top end mold. if you have found a good shooter with a lee then why worry about if the y are going to fall apart. lee have a pretty ok warranty and also if you think about it, when you cast 10k in bullets and your mold dies just grab another and off you go. it may also be a good idea if you want one that you like get maybe 2 or 3 at a time to try to get them all at the small size. just a thought. i know alot of folks say that lee stuff my not be teh best qualty but with most of there items if your time and do it right you still get really good results. please remember that this is just my 2 cents

Timberghozt
02-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey jballs.I understand exactly what you`re sayin bud.I plan to have me a pretty decent mold collection in time.I don`t have any problems with using these cheap Lee molds.I do want to try some Saeco and RCBS molds to see if there is a big difference.I am gonna try to get in on that group buy mold you fellas are talkin about..
Gene

jballs918
02-18-2007, 05:01 PM
gene i have a rcbs mold and i love it. very well made. i cant speak of anythi ng but lee and rcbs

MT Gianni
02-18-2007, 08:57 PM
The trouble with trying to get several Lee molds, especially their 2 cavitys, is that they may not be the same sizes. Think of them as a bic lighter. They serve a need, do a good job for a cheap price if they fit, and when they are done they yhave lived their life span. We can do some things to add to that if we do them at the start of there life but at the end of use it is limited. Gianni.