PDA

View Full Version : 429650's

BCB
06-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Just finished casting about 15 pounds of these slugs. They shoot extremely well from a Ruger SRH when pushed along with a hefty dose of WC-820. Anyone else use these boolits in 44 Magnums?...BCB

Shuz
06-18-2005, 12:28 PM
BCB--I've been wanting to do some experimenting with this boolit for some time now, but I just haven't found the time. What I've done is take a "nose" from the defunct 429625 two piece mould set, cast the nose outta pure lead and then drop the nose, after it has cooled, down into an already hot 429650 mould. I then cast the base outta harder Bhn 14 to 18 alloy. The resultant boolit looks just like a regular 429650 and weighs around 318g.
429421 composites that I've made using this technique, show tremendous expansion on phone books and magazines, etc. For anyone not familiar with the 429625, Lyman designed this to be a composite that required two moulds, the nose was mould "A", to be cast outta soft alloy as I have done, and mould "B", which was to be used with a harder alloy, and then the two were to be epoxyed together. Well, I couldn't find any glue or epoxy that would keep the two halves together under the recoil of a .44 mag. The noses often jumped outta the throats along side the bbl! (Evidently others had the same problem, because Lyman quite offering the composite mould sets in short order.) Now the "nose" has a little tail that seems to grip the molten, harder alloy quite well. If anyone wants to try building some composites using the 429625 noses, just lemme know. The nose profile is the exact same as the 429421, 429244, and 429650, so all of these can be made as i have done. As I develope this concept further, I'll report my results on this forum.

BCB
06-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Shuz,
That response caught my eye! I sent you a P.M. BCB

fatnhappy
06-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I have one. I got it second hand and the top of the blocks didn't mate correctly. I had .003 milled off the top and I drilled and tapped a new sprue plate stop. It drops pefect bullets all day long. Perfect for what though is beyond me.
I bought it with the intention of longer range hunting and possibly silly wet shooting. It shoots better than I can at 100 yards, but then so does the 429421, with much less recoil. Since I'm way too cheap to pay for gas checks when I don't have to, it's been relegated to the back of my mould box. If I ever decide to shoot anything larger than a whitetail with my redhawk, it'll come back to the pot. I suppose if I lived somewhere with elk and moose it would probably be my favorite mould.

BTW, I'm getting 1220 fps from 18.0 grains of AA#9 in federal cases with a WLP primer, according to my records.

Willbird
06-29-2005, 06:36 AM
Did you try LocTite Black max to glue the two halves together ?? I have used it for many things, gluing sleeves on 700 remington bolts for one, and gluing percussion caps onto the noses of 22 long rifle bullets in a fit of boredom one day, the black max held them in place.

Black max is a toughened cyanocrylic adhesive, in other words super glue that isnt brittle, also there is a grade of red loctite that has the same shear strength as soft solder.

Bill

fatnhappy
06-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Uh, forgive my ignorance, by why would I want to glue my mould halves together? I just clamped them together while milling the top so they'd be dead flat and uniform. or rather I had a guy that knew what he what doing mill them for me. :wink:

Willbird
06-29-2005, 10:00 PM
I was talking about gluing the original two piece bullets together.

Bill

fatnhappy
06-29-2005, 10:43 PM
I was talking about gluing the original two piece bullets together.

Bill
Oops!
I gottcha.

Shuz
06-30-2005, 12:57 AM
Did you try LocTite Black max to glue the two halves together ?? I have used it for many things, gluing sleeves on 700 remington bolts for one, and gluing percussion caps onto the noses of 22 long rifle bullets in a fit of boredom one day, the black max held them in place.

Black max is a toughened cyanocrylic adhesive, in other words super glue that isnt brittle, also there is a grade of red loctite that has the same shear strength as soft solder.

Bill
Nope, I didn't try the LocTite Black Max, maybe it woulda worked. Anyhow I let someone from this board talk me outta Mould "B", so it's a moot point anyway as far as I'm concerned. The way I make composites now really works and takes the worry outta whether the glue is gonna hold.

Bass Ackward
07-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Nope, I didn't try the LocTite Black Max, maybe it woulda worked. Anyhow I let someone from this board talk me outta Mould "B", so it's a moot point anyway as far as I'm concerned. The way I make composites now really works and takes the worry outta whether the glue is gonna hold.

Guys,

I got a soft nose, semi wadcutter mold made from Mountain Molds for my 458. I had the soft nose portion cut so that it went up into the front band by .050. That means that the bullet is not only griped at the juncture, but on all sides as well. This results in a much greater bond if nothing else other than increased surface area.

But the process does work better if you add some tin to the pure lead portion for the nose. This is because it lowers the melting point for the nose portion where the hot lead of your base can melt the junction and form a one piece bullet. Just as if it were poored all at the same time.