PDA

View Full Version : Colt Police Positive Special barrel question

HeavyMetal
11-16-2011, 12:37 AM
I have a Colt police Positive Special, 38 special caliber.

This is a pre 70 version made late 1950's 4 inch barrel and long grip frame.

Barrel on it is a bit slim for balance and I thought I would switch it for a post 70 Police Positive barrel, the bull design with an extractor shroud.

With a nice set of Pachymer's this should mke an easy pointing pistol. I have aqquried the grips and just won a bid on the heavy 1970's barrel.

Sure enough after I "win" the bid I start wondering about barrel threads.

Anyone know if they are the same between the long and short grip frame guns?

Buckshot
11-19-2011, 05:07 AM
..............I suggest you give 9.3x62Al a PM about it. He may not know, but he knows a LOT about Colt PP's & PPS's.

...............Buckshot

excess650
11-19-2011, 09:08 AM
I think you'll be OK putting a late PPS barrel on a 1950s PPS. I believe the difference in barrel threads comes in when comparing a Police Positive to the Police Positive Special. The latter definitely has larger diameter threads.

Mohillbilly
12-21-2011, 12:28 AM
I like the slim (pencil) barrels , and light frame , so I can keep my britches up. Short story is this is a carry gun not a range horse . I use the Dan Wesson or Colt " Offical Police " for my "horse dutyies" at the range .

9.3X62AL
12-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Not certain. I would give Colt a call after holidays for a firm answer. I don't know a gunsmith in our area conversant enough about the Colts dimensionally to assist you. Ellis Simon, we really miss you hereabouts--you too, Leo Reyes.