PDA

View Full Version : Got a new progressive press

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Well, life has finally settled down since I brought my Dad to live with me and he's gone through all the various doctors and while he has some issues, apparently he's got nothing going on that any doctor is willing to operate on him for, etc. So the good Lord has blessed us. It's been an expensive and stressful road, but I feel it'll be worthwhile in the long run vs. putting him in a nursing home.

All that said, I'd decided to sell my Hornady LnL AP I'd had for a long time, since I didn't feel the need for a progressive and I could use the cash to help my Dad. As soon as I did, my son let me know he'd hoped to one day use that press with me and my wife expressed a desire to go back shooting more, like we used to do.

So since I had the Hornady for a decade, I was in the mood for something new and different. A decade ago, when shopping progressives, I'd been interested in the RCBS Pro 2000, but didn't like the fact it was a manual advance. I'd tried out a Dillon 550 for several months and never liked the manual advance.

I also, even after a decade, ever warmed up to tube fed primers and the peck, peck, peck of loading them. So the RCBS strip fed priming system was attractive to me. In doing my research, I'd read very few folks who had problems with it.

But sometime since then, RCBS has come out with an automated advance for the Pro 2000. The press is cast iron, something I always liked and comes with quite a bit of stuff. A bundle of primer strips, a primer strip loader, a Uniflow powder measure with rifle and pistol cylinders, a case activated powder drop and a micrometer for the powder measure, a bullet tray, a cartridge bin and a case bin.

A buddy of mine got it for me at a huge discount and even then, it was still expensive, but I feel it's worth it. Rugged and simple describes this press.

The box weighed a ton and even after I took out all the various goodies, the press itself was heavy as all get out. This thing is built like a proverbial tank.

I ordered a bunch of die plates and other accessories I knew I would need. It's a lot easier ordering a new progressive the second time around. Once you made the decision, you know what you will reload for and can get everything you need the first order.

I also ordered Hornady's bullet feeder dies in three pistol calibers I plan to load. I'm going to make up some tubes so I can pre-load several hundred rounds, then load away. I will be adapting these to feed cast bullets. I also plan on getting their rifle bullet feed dies when they come out in my highest volume calibers.

Needless to say, I'm excited. I've rearranged my "man cave/reloading/gun room" and plan on adding another rolling cabinet to store reloading stuff in. Hopefully in a few more days I'll have some pics to share.

Thanks for all the helpful information I've gotten here lately on Uniflow tubing, etc.

Dave

Alvarez Kelly
11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Congrats on the new "toy." :-)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Thank you, I'm gonna have a ball with this thing. When I get done, it'll look like a collection of who's who in the reloading industry with all the various manufacturer's goodies on it.:drinks:

angus6
11-15-2011, 10:56 PM
So we got to ask for pics or what :D

quasi
11-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Dave, keep an eye on Ebay for die plates. I have purchased some for as low as 10.00.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-16-2011, 08:33 AM
angus,

I haven't gotten my press set up yet. Just got my "man cave/reloading room/gun room" rearranged to accept a second rolling storage cabinet. The plan is to add the second storage unit, get the storage situation under control, then take pics and post them. My apologies for the tease, but press is still in the box.

quasi,

Thank you for the information. I'll keep an eye out. I've noticed these presses don't show up on the boards like the Dillons, Hornadys and Lees do. But I'm guessing as pricey as they are, folks don't grab them every day and when they do, the quality of the press keeps them from selling off their presses. That and the incredible warranty. I emailed RCBS to ask if the large capacity powder reservoirs would fit in my two Uniflows because I was using them on my new Pro 200 and wanted more capacity for my high volume cartridges. Their response was to send me two. That's above and beyond warranty. Incredible.

Catshooter
11-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Dave,

Good luck with your father. And good on you for taking responsibility for him yourself. I moved to be within 100 feet from my mother so I could take care of her as long as she needs it so I know what you're thinking.

You're right, the RCBS progressives don't show up for sale nearly as often as most others. I over the last year went down the road of trying this that and the other thing in presses, and ended up back with the green. A Rockchucker and a Piggyback to go on top of it and an Ammomaster.

RCBS will not let you pay for warrenty parts. Both of my last, the Piggyback and the Ammomaster were bought used and needed some small parts to be complete. They sent them to me for free even after I told them the truth.

Enjoy.

Cat

1in9twist
11-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Great story. Looking forward to pics!

cigarman454
12-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Congratulations on your decisions (your father and new press) I'm sure you wont regret ether. Let us know how the bullet dies and tubes go. I'm very interested in this.

Donnie

cp478
12-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Congrats on your dads health stabilizing and on the new press.

kliff
12-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Congrats on your Dad's health, and the new press....enjoy both.