PDA

View Full Version : What pistol for 100 lb 62 year old lady?

slim1836
11-15-2011, 08:50 PM
I was asked last night by the above lady to teach her to shoot.

Her husband passed away a few months ago and she has been visited by a peeping Tom at least 4 times. The local P.D. told her to get a gun. She lives alone in the country.

IMO, a revolver may be best since loading is easier than jacking a round in an automatic. Also, no fear of the slide hurting her during rechambering.

She is tiny in frame and I wonder if a .357 would be OK if .38's were used.

I'm not sure if she could handle a shotgun of any kind due to her size.

She does not have funds to hire an instructor as she is unemployed at this time.

I'd like to help her if I can. She deserves to feel safe in her own home.

Any suggestions?

Slim

Von Dingo
11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
What is her shooting experience?

I do agree with your .38 spc thoughts. I'd add a medium frame, with a non heavy, or lugged 4" barrel, to minimize recoil, but not be to heavy.

An economy 20 gauge pump, with an 18-20" barrel is never a bad idea either.

Just two cents, FWIW.

subsonic
11-15-2011, 09:50 PM
If she has never shot before, a .22 pistol. A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with anything else. .38 or .32 revolvers are good. Why even buy a .357 if she's only going to shoot .38s a couple times and shove it in a dresser?

I like the 20ga idea as well, could even be a double barrel. Maybe even a hi-pointe 9mm carbine. Both easy to shoot and hit with as well as easy and cheap to feed.

Really, any gun that is reliable is 1,000,000X better than no gun in a self defense situation. In that vein, I don't think I'd call her bluff if she was holding a 10/22 and knew how to use it.

She should have a lot of say in what she chooses, as long as she doesn't want to start with a .44 mag or something :Fire: But one of those ruger 44mag carbines could work!

GRUMPA
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
This may sound strange but if she asked you to teach her how to shoot, she knows your a shooter. Is there a way you and/or friends can somehow get together with various "HARDWARE" to see which one of many she can even handle.

I don't have the worlds largest selection but I have folks here from time to time trying out different things. Since I reload and I hope you do to I let them try full factory or the mild stuff. This really helps out the women folk that get rather intimidated with something like this.

Actually a lot of them prefer the mild loads and I'm more than happy to provide them with, for a fee of course. But you wouldn't imagine how many like a down charged 12ga. with the recoil of a 28ga. also the bird shot (or snake loads as the locals call them) in a snubby revolver.

I can only wonder being that age if she is somewhat arthritic and may have a hard time with some things.

shooting on a shoestring
11-15-2011, 10:26 PM
My thoughts are a police trade in .38 revolver. A model 10 or speed six can be had in reliable shooting shape for $250 to $300. She make take some comfort in it being a police weapon. In actual use, a 4 inch .38 revolver is plenty of power, not too much recoil, easy to use, point and pull, drop safe (a big consideration).

Also the old Colt Police Positives in .38 may fit her hands better than the modern guns.

My almost 80 year old mother does well with a k-frame...and a j-frame....and whatever she picks up. She's barely a 100 pounds of Oklahoma Farm girl. Don't under-estimate how well an old woman can shoot.

camaro1st
11-15-2011, 10:29 PM
this might help her!!! http://flaguns.com/showthread.php?14846-Kansas-State-Highway-Patrol

woody1
11-15-2011, 11:19 PM
If it's a "house gun" get her a S&W model 10, 4" and load it with wadcutters. If you've got a 22 revolver that's anywhere near similar, start her training with it. Always, always use good ear protection. I'm a firm believer that most flinches are caused by noise. If she's going to carry, she'll probly want something smaller. A Chief's Special 38 or similar may be the answer. Do NOT let her get an alloy (lightweight) version of same. My wife wanted one. We got it. Long story/short too much recoil for old/arthritic hands with chosen defense loads. Regards, Woody

Johnch
11-15-2011, 11:33 PM
If not a shooter already

I would steer her in another direction

I would steer her tward a 22 rifle

Easy to shoot and if a tube mag or even better a 25 shot mag
Lots of quick lead down range

I set my mother up with a used youth 10/22 and 2 25 shot Steel Lips mags

As she was never a shooter
The youth stock fits her and she can easly controll it

She has never needed it for a person
But 2 racoon found out the hard way a retired lady and a rifle are more than a match

John

wellfedirishman
11-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Another thing to consider (as well as having a firearm) is having a big dog, and good lighting (motion sensor floodlights).

A German Shepard or similar would likely be effective in keeping weirdos and burglars away.

Motion sensor floodlights can be had for under $50.

Suo Gan
11-16-2011, 12:03 AM
A S&W 357 with a four inch barrel loaded with 38 spl hollow points will work good. Tell her to stay clear of the air weights, or lady smiths. This is a house gun, not a carry gun. Some of the gun shops forget that and try to sell grandma a snub nosed scandium that kicks like a mule. A pump 410 would be good too.

Mk42gunner
11-16-2011, 12:05 AM
I mostly agree with johnch, I set my mom up with a Marlin Model 60, (actually a Glenfield, but it works). I have had issues with 10-22 magazines and don't want Mom to have to worry about them.

My Mom can shoot a rifle; but she isn't a recreational shooter, which means she wouldn't go out and practice wiuth it. She thought my K22 was too heavy, so that ruled out either giving her my GP-100 or buying a used K-frame. She didn't want to spend what a light handgun that I would trust for her would cost.

I go by and clean and load it with new shells once a month.

Robert

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 12:21 AM
410 pump or auto shotgun with defensive loads or a 20 gauge if she can handle it. Most bad guys would think hell that ol lady can't hit **** with a hand gun but they would not mess with a scatter gun.

geargnasher
11-16-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm with Johnch. If possible, take her shooting and let her use a 10/22. The mags can be a trick to load with weak old hands, but there are loaders available for the 12/22. Ramline mags are junk. Factory 10-rounders or Eagle 30-rounders are the best I've found. Nice thing about a 10-22 is it's easy to present from the hip, and harder to take away from someone than a revolver without getting plugged. Also, it isn't loud compared to a .22 revolver or other handguns.

Gear

HammerMTB
11-16-2011, 12:36 AM
I agree with a lot of the above.
An 18" shotty in 20 ga would be a good choice.
My wife is barely bigger than 100 lbs. I got her a Ruger SP101. She practices with 38 WCs, but I load 125 gr 357's for SD. I know they have more kick, but that's OK for the little she'd need it. She's tried the SD loads and they aren't "too much" but more than she'd practice with.
D@mn shame that's what we've come to in this country, trying to decide how much gun we need to defend the defenseless.

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 12:43 AM
A Semi auto shotgun in 410 would be very manageable heck kids shoot single shot 410s and we all know a single shot kicks more than a semi auto does. A 20 gauge semi auto might be ok too.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-16-2011, 12:45 AM
i did a lot of research on this for my home i went with a 870
but take a look at a stoeger coachgun 20ga

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 12:51 AM
One other thing these days they make light loads for 12 gauge maybe if you have a 12 that is not really heavy she could try that with some light loads. Shooting a handgun takes some practice and when your scared or nervous I think shotgun is a better choice hands down.

Mumblypeg
11-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Whatever you/she chooses, she must be comfortable with it. Model 10 S&W's are hard to beat for a centerfire handgun. .22 rifles are good also. But most importantly she must practice,practice,practice so using it will be second nature. I think most people fall short on the practice part. I used to tell my students to play with their guns, that would draw funny looks, but I always stressed to make sure it's unloaded. If you don't play with them as in get familair with it, how else will you know how it works? Yes, safety first...

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 12:55 AM
If she insist on a handgun I would suggest a judge. I shoot grouse with my Encore 45/410 and it does not recoil bad at all of course it is a bit heavier than a judge would be. But at least with a judge and some defensive loads it has a built in fudge factor for accuracy.

rmcc
11-16-2011, 01:02 AM
S&W model 10 with 4" barrel with original K frame grips. My wife has small hands and started with a S&W 65 K frame. She shoots it better than anything else. She prefers 38's through it, but can now handle full house 357 loads. PRACTICE is the key to whatever is decided on.

Rich

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Thing is if this guy is showing up now how much time does she have to train and learn how to shoot? A shotgun can be learned now with out hours of practice.

Piedmont
11-16-2011, 02:17 AM
I like the idea of the .22 auto rifle. A handgun small enough to have on her person would be ideal in addition to the rifle. Maybe something like an SP-101 shooting .38 wadcutters. The recoil of that wouldn't be too intimidating, yet is a fairly compact gun that could be in a pocket while in the kitchen or sitting next to her when she is watching TV or reading.

Matthew 25
11-16-2011, 02:31 AM
I can't argue with much of this advise. I like the mid-frame 38 and the 10/22 ideas. However, I have never found someone who couldn't be turned into a fair and safe shooter with 100 rounds through a Ruger Mk II. I'm sure the .22/45 is the same way and lots cheaper.
Maybe having her shoot 2 or 3 of yours would be helpful. Keep it simple...

Shooter6br
11-16-2011, 02:50 AM
I am a bit youger than the lady( way bit heavier) but i bought a police trade in Mod 10 HB ( heavy barrel 4 in) Even with heavy handloads in is easy to shot. i load wadcutters ( H & G #50) 147 g ) At short range wadcutters still will do the job. A shotgun is also a good choice. ( 20 guage or a 410 with multi round balls) The sound of a pump shotgun being pumped will deter most pervs.:bigsmyl2:

rintinglen
11-16-2011, 03:50 AM
Not a fan of shotguns for little people, but I stand four square in the camp that touts 38 revolvers. An excellent choice, should you be able to find one, is one of the 5 inch adjustable model 60 357s that Smith made a few years back. Heavy enough to deal with 38 Special Recoil, but still relatively light at about 25 ounces, they are just about ideal. A round butt K-Frame is also a good choice, especially if you can find one with a skinny barrel.
A shotgun is much heavier, much bigger, and much less likely to be picked up when something goes bump in the night.

missionary5155
11-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Good morning
This sounds like my mom... she hugs signs so not to get blown away but a different state.
Teaching someone to shoot and outfitting er to repel boarders are two different worlds.
As above background experience is first. Teaching trigger control, sight alignment is a process. What handgun system is she comfortable with ? After all is settled do not over look the lazer site.
Home invasion is best stopped with the intruder outside. The motion lights are good. Most every house down here has 2 large dogs that free roam the property. Most every house is surrounded by a 7 foot wall with iron gate, ours is double locked. Our exterior home doors are deadbolted with added 10" long steel pins that pass through the door & frame into the cement wall like a safe door. All windows are barred. And all that will only but a few precious seconds if the intruder is real serious.
Mike in Peru

kelbro
11-16-2011, 08:11 AM
You would do just as well trying to pick a pair of shoes out for a woman as you would trying to pick a pistol out for one. :)

I would agree with WFI, good lighting and a noisy big dog.

If she wants to learn to shoot, gather up a few pistols and a shotgun and see what she prefers. My 100# sister handles a 20ga with no problems. She also carries a RUger LCR.

gray wolf
11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
--What are the rules of engagement for the state she is in ?
can she shoot at a threat that is outside the house,
what constitutes the level of fear that justifies her taking a shot.
I would not put a 22 Cal. anything in the hands of a none expert in a life or death situation, and certainly not an auto that may be prone to jam.
My Ex. wife was 100# if she stood in the rain for an hour. She was not a killer by any means but love to shoot. She had NO problem with an over and under 12 gauge and 3 or 4 rounds of skeet. Don't let size get in the way, not unless there is a physical defect or a problem with upper arm or body strength. ( a little training please )
Come on guy's how heavy is a polymer Glock or a Springer XD --at least in a nine with good Hydra shocks or gold dots, not to forget the Remington Golden saber's.
I don't think small because the user is small, that's a bunch of Ba- hooey.
With the proper introduction to the firearms and the proper training she should be able to
do at minimum a 38 special with a decent killing load.
I would also check and double check that she has the mental makeup to stop a threat without hesitation, and knows the law inside and out.
My bottom line if it was my sister would be a 20 gauge with the shortest legal barrel with
# 2 buck, AND NO alternating different shot size crappp.
Train her till she can empty the mag, cylinder, or tube from the hip or shoulder.
Training someone to defend there life or the life of another is not a accomplished with a trip to the gun store and someone saying "OH that feels nice or that's a pretty one "
A level of confidence and comfort along with gun handling must be accomplished and
Must be done before I sign off on anyone.
Just saying and only my opinion.

I am about sick and tired and up to my ears with new gun people that don't have a clue as to what they have in there hand or the proper way to use it, clean it, maintain it, or clear a jam.

robertbank
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
A dog, I favour Labs myself, and a J Frame ought to be about perfect IMHO. Not many folks will want to cross a dog and they make great burglar alarms. I suggest a J Frame for ease of carry. No sense in having something heavier in the upstairs bedroom when you are downstairs.

Take Care

Bob
ps Labs are great company, smart and loyal to a fault. If she is alone they make great companions.

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I agree with GreyWolf a shotgun is the best choice for a defense weapon for some one just learning to shoot. I own handguns but my home weapon of choice would be my 20 inch barrel shotgun.

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Not every one may want a dog Robert I agree Labs are great dogs but many are not that aggressive. A Chesapeake on the other hand is an other story any one brave enough to confront a ticked off Chessie deserves what they may get. LOL I like handguns better then anyone but I still say a scatter gun is the best choice. I just thought of something remember folks A lot of gals shoot trap and I have seen really small framed women and girls shoot 12 gauge shotguns with no issues shooting trap so I would suspect most all women could handle a 20 gauge. There are recoil reducers you can get as well to tame it down even more.

P.K.
11-16-2011, 12:30 PM
I may have missed it but with all the talk of wheel guns why settle on .38spcl? What about .327 offerings? Specificly the .327 Fed. Mag. Those can be cooked down to be lighter recoiling rounds.

Muddy Creek Sam
11-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Katie is about that size and has RA in both hands, She says a GP100 Ruger with light loads.

Sam :D

big dale
11-16-2011, 05:26 PM
My ex was about that size and back in the 70's we had a problem with a peeping tom while I was working second shift. One night she sent a load of birdshot at him from a 20 gauge and took out a part of the fence....he never came back.

Big Dale

sffar
11-16-2011, 06:04 PM
I like the .38 idea best. The .22 carbine would be ok, and she might like practicing with it if she's in the country, but .22's will jamb and misfire so for defense it seems a compromise. You could probably find a serviceable 20 gauge single for $75 bucks. That served a lot of people well enough for a long time.

45nut
11-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Her husband passed away a few months ago and she has been visited by a peeping Tom at least 4 times. The local P.D. told her to get a gun. She lives alone in the country.

She could of asked the PD to call the ATF for a freebie if they didn't have a back room full of guns they had confiscated or had turned in. I would imagine they had plenty of options if they had wished her well.

Meanwhile, the old "Saturday Night Specials" were absolutely meant for the poor to defend themselves, and not for the role set by the anti-gunners as hold up guns.

Not knowing her personally though it would be easy to suggest a old police turn in 38 special revolver as they can easily be managed, by design.

trench
11-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I'd say a .22. Leave the chamber loaded, and she won't have to work the slide, right? I'd get her a used Buckmark Browning, and make sure that she fired at least 500 rds, working up to real speed at 10 ft or less, and making sure that she understood that if push came to shove, she has to aim a .22 carefully at the eye socket.

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Again folks she is being peeped on NOW! Does she have the time to practice with a gun 500 rounds lets be realistic. A scatter gun is her best chance to hit what she would be shooting at with the least amount of training. Many of you are telling us what your favorites would be for her not what is realistic. A scatter gun for those that has not shot much is realistic any thing else is a lot of shooting and training to get proficient enough to trust your life on.

trench
11-16-2011, 10:10 PM
no, it's not. Since the likely range will be 10 ft from the muzzle, the shotpattern will be only 3-4" wide, so she'll still have to aim it like a rifle. It takes a lot of practice to be worth a hoot (fast enough) with a shotgun and with more recoil than a 20 ga autoloader, she won't be able to handle it,

Also, just peeping at her is not a shooting offense, guys. You trying to send her to prison? Almost always, just POINTING a gun is enough to send even much more serioius attackers fleeing! A few .22's fired (that MISS) are even more likely to suffice. Since nobody carries any longarm all the time,and she can easily holster (and be fairly fast do draw) a .22 autopistol, that is by far the best choice for her. She can't afford even reloaded centerfire ammo, in enough quantity to make her adequately skilled with it.

parrott1969
11-16-2011, 10:41 PM
I vote AK-47!!! 30 rounds extremely reliable and piont and pray. It's what I did for my wife. Told her to stop pulling the trigger when all she got was a click. Always figured she would either hitem or scare the **** out of em.

If she is dead set on a handgun get the Taruas Millinium ( I think). It can be had in 380 and holds 12 rounds. Its weight kills the recoil and its still small enough to carry.

Stay away from the mini 380's. I have the Taruas 738 and its a handfull when discharged.

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 10:46 PM
no, it's not. Since the likely range will be 10 ft from the muzzle, the shotpattern will be only 3-4" wide, so she'll still have to aim it like a rifle. It takes a lot of practice to be worth a hoot (fast enough) with a shotgun and with more recoil than a 20 ga autoloader, she won't be able to handle it,

Also, just peeping at her is not a shooting offense, guys. You trying to send her to prison? Almost always, just POINTING a gun is enough to send even much more serioius attackers fleeing! A few .22's fired (that MISS) are even more likely to suffice. Since nobody carries any longarm all the time,and she can easily holster (and be fairly fast do draw) a .22 autopistol, that is by far the best choice for her. She can't afford even reloaded centerfire ammo, in enough quantity to make her adequately skilled with it.

YOU do not know its only gonna be ten feet and you do not know if it is gonna escalate from peeping to more serious issues. We are talking at home here where a long gun can be at hand no matter where she is in the house. If you point a gun at some one you darn well better be prepared to use it. Could be the peeper is armed too and may shoot back if he sees a gun pointed at him. They are talking about Texas here which has the Castle Doctrine Law if some one breaks in She is ok to protect herself.

canyon-ghost
11-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Let's not forget a 32 H&R Magnum, good beginning gun that splits the difference and is more effective than a 22 lr. But, I'd sooner agree on the 38 Special, it's an all time favorite and best selling handgun.

LEAD BOTTOM
11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Circuit Judge ! 410 & 45 cal. Very short gun. Thats what the gun was made for.

LEAD BOTTOM
11-16-2011, 11:43 PM
I was asked last night by the above lady to teach her to shoot.

IMO, a revolver may be best since loading is easier than jacking a round in an automatic. Also, no fear of the slide hurting her during rechambering.

She is tiny in frame and I wonder if a .357 would be OK if .38's were used.

I'm not sure if she could handle a shotgun of any kind due to her size.

She does not have funds to hire an instructor as she is unemployed at this time.

I'd like to help her if I can. She deserves to feel safe in her own home.

Any suggestions?

Slim

Circuit Judge ! 410 & 45cal. short gun. That what it's made for.

LEAD BOTTOM
11-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Circuit Judge ! 410 &45cal. short gun. Thats what there made for.

jh45gun
11-16-2011, 11:53 PM
I already suggested a judge Lead Bottom If she insist on a pistol.

Mk42gunner
11-16-2011, 11:58 PM
One thing I think a lot of you guys have missed is the fact that the lady is unemployed right now. That means she probably doesn't want to spend several hundered dollars, but will probably spend as little as possible; I do not see someone in her shoes buying two guns.

I have taught a lot of small framed men and women to shoot, a lot of time racking the slide on a semi-auto requires more hand strength than is available. I still say a .22 rifle is the easiest to get hits with. The .38 or .32 H&R sound like good choices to me, for a revolver.

If you get a long gun, (especially a shotgun) make sure the stock fits, length is most important, the cheekpiece can be built up if necessary.

Sometimes I will grab my 12 guage H&R turkey gun for things that set the dogs off at night, but I grew up shooting an H&R. A short barreled single shot shotgun could be a good idea for a person that is familiar with the loading sequence, but I wouldn't recommend one for a new shooter.

If money were no object, and she was willing to put in thew time and money for ammo, an M-1 Carbine would be just about perfect. But the prices on them have risen drastically in the last few years.

Robert

jh45gun
11-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Nothing difficult about loading a shot gun especially a single shot. If money is tight then a single shot shotgun is an obvious choice they can be found cheap around 75 dollars in a lot of cases. She is not gonna find any revolvers cheap no matter what the caliber.

P.K.
11-17-2011, 12:45 AM
I'd say a .22. Leave the chamber loaded, and she won't have to work the slide, right? I'd get her a used Buckmark Browning, and make sure that she fired at least 500 rds, working up to real speed at 10 ft or less, and making sure that she understood that if push came to shove, she has to aim a .22 carefully at the eye socket.

60+ y/o woman here 500 rounds? Seriously? "Push came to shove?" Sir For a woman that age we are avoiding that!

Check yourself right there sir. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. 90% of crimes on women start with this sceanario and end worse. I'm sorry but MOST serrious offenders DECIDE that the threat of violence is enough to deterr aim and they can continue the act. By the time that a firearm is employed it's too late. Why? Said firearm is "safley locked up". :groner:

waksupi
11-17-2011, 02:19 AM
Warning shots produce guests of honor at a funeral.

Take her to a gun show, let her handle different firearms, see what she wants. No reason she couldn't handle a 1911.

I know women a darn sight older than 60 that can shoot about any standard handgun they get their hands on.

lostchild0
11-17-2011, 09:39 AM
I would first find out if she would shoot an intruder with out hesitation. If she can't or won't I would recomend a less than lethal protection. My wife has has this issue, so I don't tell her to carry a gun, ( she has no problem in getting a gun for me if needed). This is just a thought..... lost

lostchild0
11-17-2011, 09:43 AM
I would first find out if she can or will shoot an intruder without hesitation. If she can't or won't, tell her to use a less lethal defence (if she hesitates the wepon can be taken and user against her). ....lost

Buddy
11-17-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Kel Tec 22mag pistol. It holds 30 rnds and should be easy for her to learn how to use.

waksupi
11-17-2011, 11:38 AM
No one really knows if they can pull the trigger until the time comes.

EMC45
11-17-2011, 01:15 PM
I would say a Smith I or J frame in .32 S&W-L. They will do the job.

11-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Lots of well reasoned opinions above all coming from a valid point of view. I have taught an elderly woman of limited physical abilities and we decided on a youth model H&R 20 ga. Works for her. Light trap loads were used to train and 2 3/4 000 buck loaded for the go to work load. Part of the training included the notion that a shot in the air followed by the phrase, " The next one is for you.", would be perfectly suitable to forestall a real blood letting. Another point to the small shotgun that has always seemed to fit is that "old women" are very familiar with the handling of long handled tools (brooms, etc.). She took to the short shotgun very quickly.

waksupi
11-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Lots of well reasoned opinions above all coming from a valid point of view. I have taught an elderly woman of limited physical abilities and we decided on a youth model H&R 20 ga. Works for her. Light trap loads were used to train and 2 3/4 000 buck loaded for the go to work load. Part of the training included the notion that a shot in the air followed by the phrase, " The next one is for you.", would be perfectly suitable to forestall a real blood letting. Another point to the small shotgun that has always seemed to fit is that "old women" are very familiar with the handling of long handled tools (brooms, etc.). She took to the short shotgun very quickly.

That warning shot can win you a funeral. If a shot is to be fired, it is at the bad guy, not in the air. Why throw away a limited amount of ammo?

jh45gun
11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I think a shotgun can be found for her more reasonable than a hand gun especially the models you guys are mentioning. If she is short on cash that makes a difference.

slim1836
11-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Lots of response guys, thanks a lot. I will try to take all into consideration and go from there.

I will try to see what she can afford and may try a few pistols and a 20 gauge shotgun in the near future.

Her "problem" needs to go away soon.

Again, thanks to all who contributed.

slim

W.R.Buchanan
11-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Slim: several people above mentioned the one fact here that really matters. You did not acknowledge this most important point?

Is she willing to kill someone? If the answer is no, then she has no business with a gun.

First rule of gun safety is "Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy!"

Many chimed in with their favorite picks, but if she is not willing to kill someone it is a mute point. She won't use it.

I like the big dog and motion sensor lights and maybe a whistle for people like that.

If you are really interested in helping her, sit down and have a good talk with her, and find out if she is really willing to kill someone.

If she is not, then you'd best steer her in a different direction. Bear Spray comes to mind.

I talked a friend out of using a gun to defend his property just two days ago. He lives at his dads plating shop in Oxnard CA in a virtually deserted part of town. They have been having problems with breakins so he now lives on the property.

He had someone jump the fence recently and was going to shoot him but called 911 and the woman talked him down and sent the police which came in a few minutes. The burgler fled before the cops came 2 min later and they caught him down the street. He was just a bum looking for anything he could trade for food.

He would have wasted his life on a ***.!!! I suggested the Bear Spray alternative and the police wouldn't have had to chase anything that way, as the guy would have been writhing in pain in the fetal position right where he had stood. The cops agreed, and no one gets killed.

INstead he is buying several bottles of Bear Spray which will cause way more pain on an intruder than shooting him and no liability to him whatsoever.

Also you can find out if you've got the stones to really hurt somebody!

This might be a better solution, and if the problem came back then she would be more apt to pull a trigger as she had already confronted the danger and won.

Randy

robertbank
11-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Randy, perfect reply.

Thanks

Take Care

Bob

slim1836
11-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Randy.

Thanks for the advise, I will pass this along, Don't know if bear spray is available in my neck of the woods, but will check into it.

So far, the peeping tom has not tried to enter the home, but has looked into her windows.

I do like the motion activated lights idea, and will make sure she is committed to shooting if necessary.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Slim

jh45gun
11-18-2011, 01:25 AM
Best of luck to her.

dk17hmr
11-18-2011, 03:18 AM
I remember something I read while in college about female students at a different college carrying wasp spary, the 15' foam spray, instead of pepper spray. Its a bigger can with alot more go away juice in it and its fairly cheap at the hardware store. Maybe a couple Duke number 3 steel leg traps under the windows along with motion lights and maybe a couple trail cameras.

If she still wants a firearm I would probably look into a tube feed semi auto 22lr, something with a 16" barrel and simple sights. Pistol are fairly easy to take away from someone that doesnt have a hold lot of hand strenght and might be hesitant of pulling the trigger. A long gun might give her a bit more advantage if it came down to it.

luvtn
11-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Do not use wasp spray. That will get you in all kinds of trouble. This person maybe casing her place for a break in attempt. I don't know how her place is set up. Long term would be to fence in the yard with a large (50-60 lb) dog of the protective variety(shepherds, kuvasz, marema's etc). Short term- a gun that she can manage, or pepper spray -10% should work just fine. Perhaps a kindly neighbor patrolling her area at the times this miscreant is known to show up.
lt

jh45gun
11-18-2011, 06:26 PM
On the question can she kill some one who knows until that time arrives but it is best to be prepared and SHE is the one that asked to be trained t to shoot a gun evidently she is serious about the matter.

Bret4207
11-18-2011, 07:26 PM
If not a shooter already

I would steer her in another direction

I would steer her tward a 22 rifle

Easy to shoot and if a tube mag or even better a 25 shot mag
Lots of quick lead down range

I set my mother up with a used youth 10/22 and 2 25 shot Steel Lips mags

As she was never a shooter
The youth stock fits her and she can easly controll it

She has never needed it for a person
But 2 racoon found out the hard way a retired lady and a rifle are more than a match

John

Ditto. I missed this before but a 10/22 is a nice gun for ladies. My Mom was about 5'2" and lightly built and she could handle her 10.22 like nobodies business. It's a good option. That and a decent dog, some good locks and yard lights.

11-18-2011, 07:35 PM
waksupi
I thought it would have gone without saying, but I guess not. All depends on the situation. You hear somebody kicking the door in downstairs, rattling the back door, or such, a warning shot will probably end the problem. If evil is walking down your bedroom hall or coming through the bedroom window at you, a warning shot would not seem prudent. The application of lethal force is generally a function of a two prong condition: Eminent and potential. The right to defend to the ultimate force hangs on the concept that the adversary had the means to do you in and is about to do it. It's a personal thing for me, but I'm not going to whack some criminal until, God forbid, the very last possible minute. If I can make them soil their collective pants and run away, that's what I will do. As far as a question of limited ammo, a reload sequence, when practiced, is a rather seamless / smooth event. At least it should be.

W.R.Buchanan
11-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Slim: If you go on line you can find Bear Spray easily. Most large Camping outfits have it and I think Cabelas does as well. Google will find it easily.

The canisters are the size of a small fire extinguisher, about 2 1/2" in dia and maybe 12" tall and will shoot the juice about 30 feet and the farther out the more area it foggs, and BELIEVE ME you don't want to shoot this stuff into the wind!! If you get any in your eyes you will regret it! The stuff will turn a male Griz or 1200lb Brown Bear around in his tracks in about 2 milliseconds, so you know it is pretty potent stuff!

Not too expensive either, $35 would easily cover it. And if she decides to go this way, don't let her settle for a little pepper spray thing for $10, make sure she gets the real deal! It is the difference between a .22 and a .458 mag!

A .22 might hurt them, but the .458 will definately change their mind no matter how big they are!

Randy

NickSS
11-19-2011, 12:11 AM
I had the same problem with my Mother in law. A bunch of years ago she heard a noise in the yard and got out her Dads 32 Savage Auto pistol, loaded it and went to investigate. Nothing was there but then she could not get the round out of the chamber (She got it in but that must have been adrenalin), so she shot into a pillow on her bed (too many movies). The slug went through the bed and the floor and the ceiling below and dented the hard wood floor in the living room. When I found out about that I took the 32 away from her and gave her an old S&W Victory model in 38 spl. She has had it nearly 20 years now and has fired it three times to date at Raccoons in the yard and got all three of them. So its very economical for me about one round per six or seven years I can afford.

mack1
11-20-2011, 12:28 AM
+1 more for K or J frame 38 or simmilar. Start with a 22 revolver, you may not think a 38 has much recoil but she likley will keep her off her heels and on the balls of her feet. Also make shure she can operate whatever she buys double action pull or the slide on an auto. It is very good to help someone with the ability to defend themself.

shovel80
11-20-2011, 04:05 PM
I also think a .38 special with a shorter barrel..maybe 4 inch...would be good...don't have to worry about a safety....just Point and Shoot!....take her out to shoot it lots though...she needs to know what to expect when it goes off!...

Terry

jh45gun
11-20-2011, 05:28 PM
She is being stalked now. She needs something she can learn to shoot in a hurry not take out and practice with until she gets proficient with it. That means a scatter gun even a 410. Even Cole Thorrton knew that. LOL If she insist on a handgun then go with a judge still acts like a scatter gun.

Matthew 25
11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
I had the same problem with my Mother in law. A bunch of years ago she heard a noise in the yard and got out her Dads 32 Savage Auto pistol, loaded it and went to investigate. Nothing was there but then she could not get the round out of the chamber (She got it in but that must have been adrenalin), so she shot into a pillow on her bed (too many movies). The slug went through the bed and the floor and the ceiling below and dented the hard wood floor in the living room. When I found out about that I took the 32 away from her and gave her an old S&W Victory model in 38 spl. She has had it nearly 20 years now and has fired it three times to date at Raccoons in the yard and got all three of them. So its very economical for me about one round per six or seven years I can afford.

That's some funny stuff right there. "Freakin' feathers went everywhere!"