PDA

View Full Version : ar15 build question

arjacobson
11-15-2011, 08:06 PM
My son bought me a stripped lower receiver for a birthday present. :bigsmyl2: Anyway is there any advice on what parts I should look for and stay away from? Looking at a olympic 45acp upper. Probably going to go with an a2 style buttstock. Any help is much appreciated.

GSCSA
11-16-2011, 06:34 PM
AR15.com has a lot of info on AR builds and tutorials. Another good source is to find someone in your area with build experience. I'm getting the parts together to do a retro Colt 603 clone build. So far I have the stock set, upper, and barrel assy. A friend at work is going to help me put it together.

bruce drake
11-16-2011, 07:14 PM
first bit of advice (I've built three AR lowers)

put the lower in a cardboard box or a clear plastic bag when you are installing the front lower receiver pin. The front one invariably will fly out at least once or twice before it connects in especially if you aren't using a special tool to help set the pin.

the bag will help keep the spring from bouncing across the garage or behind the darn work bench...don't ask me how I know that one...

Bruce

m.chalmers
11-16-2011, 07:49 PM
"Looking at a olympic 45acp upper" The one that uses the $150 magazines?
Go here and read, read and read,
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/4_Build_It_Yourself.html

Now, go here an read,read,read,read and read,
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT_ _TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.h tml

A .45 AR go here and read,
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/15_Rimfire_and_Pistol_Calibers.html

arjacobson
11-16-2011, 08:49 PM
On the website they are listed at $45.44 for each magazine. Maybe i will order an upper with the included magazine. Then get measurements and machine a few adapters so they will take a standard 1911 clip. Basically when you release the mag the adapter and clip will come out in one pc. Looking at the website there are a few different ways to go about using different mags. Thanks for the tips guys! looks like I have a few weeks of reading to do:bigsmyl2:

Blammer
11-19-2011, 09:47 AM
at the ar15.com website there is a GREAT tutorial with outstanding pictures and suggestions on how to assemble an AR15.

For my first build I followed those direction while sitting in front of the computer to assemble it and it turned out perfectly. I highly recommend it.

Buy a quality parts kit.
Del-ton comes to mind as they have good stuff. I have bought several items from them, (a couple of barrel kits, upper parts, lower parts, etc...)

Your options are limitless on how you want your AR to look. Personally, function is more important to me than the "cool" looks.

Learn your prices then browse the Equipment Exchange in AR15.com and you can get pretty much all you need at fair prices.

If you don't go the Free float tube route, I have a delta ring kit I'll need to turn loose of. :)

arjacobson
11-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Well got the lower together by using the ar15 website. Only thing is it's missing a few small parts. I have to get to the gunshop where the LPK was purchased and see if they can get me the missing pcs. Fun project so far and pretty straight forward. Thanks again fellas